What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (4 Viewers)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
November is clearly not my month. One thing that distinguishes me from other classic film fans is that I have never been enamored with Bette Davis. I don't necessarily dislike her, but I guess her films have never "clicked" with me. To be fair, I do plan on re-watching "Jezebel" and "Now Voyager" when they're on TCM next to evaluate whether or not I want to add the blu-rays to my collection. On the other hand, I have given "All About Eve" multiple chances throughout the years, and I have consistently found it a pretentious bore. Along with "The Wizard of Oz" and "2001: A Space Odyssey," it is on my short list of films that are wildly overrated. Since it is already well-served on blu-ray, I wish that Criterion would have used this opportunity to ransom some other film from the Fox library. Still, I'm sure some will be happy with this announcement so I hope that they enjoy it. To show how odd I am, if Joseph Mankiewicz's subsequent Fox film "People Will Talk" were the one announced today, I would have been elated. ;)

Well, I hope that "The Cameraman" will be announced next month as Criterion's Christmas present to us all. :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
There was a point where every single month at least one of the few slots was taken by an already on R1 Blu title.

To add to your list
Blue Velvet
Breakfast Club
Fire Walk With Me
Boyhood
Dr. Strangelove
Silence Of The Lambs
Princess Bride

practically every Wes Anderson film

I knew there were a few I had forgotten about! :D I did add Do the Right Thing to my post as well.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I knew there were a few I had forgotten about! :D I did add Do the Right Thing to my post as well.
(Cough) - (Cough)-

Betty Blue has been available on blu-ray Region Free as well from Cine Libre ...
51L3SYU%2BlLL._SX342_.jpg

Based on my casual scan of the disc ... the Criterion would probably be an upgrade

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'm with you, Josh. Though I'm sure it will look and sound terrific, I'd rather they give us The Little Foxes on Blu-ray. The Fox Blu-ray of Eve (which I reviewed) was plenty good enough.

Far too many GREAT Bette Davis movies still MIA - Old Acquaintance, Mr. Skeffington, In This Our Life, All This and Heaven Too, The Nanny, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Sisters, Deception, The Old Maid., The Little Foxes, The Letter, Dangerous, The Star, The Catered Affair, The Anniversary. Love All About Eve but the Fox release was superb, especially the initial digi-book edition with glossy photo art and tidbit info, plus extras. So, another release of Eve - ho-hum.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
November is clearly not my month. One thing that distinguishes me from other classic film fans is that I have never been enamored with Bette Davis. I don't necessarily dislike her, but I guess her films have never "clicked" with me. To be fair, I do plan on re-watching "Jezebel" and "Now Voyager" when they're on TCM next to evaluate whether or not I want to add the blu-rays to my collection. On the other hand, I have given "All About Eve" multiple chances throughout the years, and I have consistently found it a pretentious bore. Along with "The Wizard of Oz" and "2001: A Space Odyssey," it is on my short list of films that are wildly overrated. Since it is already well-served on blu-ray, I wish that Criterion would have used this opportunity to ransom some other film from the Fox library. Still, I'm sure some will be happy with this announcement so I hope that they enjoy it. To show how odd I am, if Joseph Mankiewicz's subsequent Fox film "People Will Talk" were the one announced today, I would have been elated. ;)

Well, I hope that "The Cameraman" will be announced next month as Criterion's Christmas present to us all. :)
Yes, you are unique, but aren't we all in our own way.:)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
November is clearly not my month. One thing that distinguishes me from other classic film fans is that I have never been enamored with Bette Davis. I don't necessarily dislike her, but I guess her films have never "clicked" with me.

Same boat here. Don't dislike her, just never really liked her films that much. The ones I've seen I was satisfied that I never needed to revisit.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Instead of rehashing great Blu Rays, why Can't Criterion release films like Z, Missing, Hamlet, Henry V, etc., that haven't been upgraded?

I realize Criterion is trying to reclaim all the films they had released on Laserdisc back in the day, but this is getting a bit much.

and as for Bette Davis, I've never liked her. She's an amazing actress, but it's her looks... I find she always looks like she's sneering down at someone. IDK. There are other Actress' i'm much more fond of.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Same boat here. Don't dislike her, just never really liked her films that much. The ones I've seen I was satisfied that I never needed to revisit.

Based off of my viewing log from the past year, I have watched or re-watched "Dark Victory," "Watch on the Rhine," "The Letter," "Deception," "The Little Foxes," "Ex-Lady," "Border Town," and "Dangerous." "The Little Foxes" is the only one of the bunch I would consider purchasing on blu-ray should it be made available. "Deception" is the only one I considered a clunker. The other ones were fine pieces of film making for the most part, but I have no desire to revisit them. I don't intentionally avoid Bette Davis, but I don't necessarily seek her out either. In some cases, I find myself watching one of her films because of the presence of someone else (Claude Rains for instance). I actually have "The Old Maid" and "Old Acquaintance" in my imminent viewing queue. If nothing else, I'm hoping that they will at least be fine examples of the sudsers that WB excelled in during that period.
Two other BD films that I likely would purchase on blu-ray should they ever become available are "The Man Who Came to Dinner" and "The Bride Came COD," but I realize that they aren't typical BD films.
Sorry for the off-topic discourse - time to yield the floor back to Criterion discussions.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Wow, a lot of negativity for Bette Davis.

I like to spend my time talking about the releases I'm excited about, not complaining about the ones I don't want.

Different strokes, I guess.

What negativity? There's a difference between "I hate Bette Davis" and "I'm meh about her." While I may not be crazy about the films, I'm not questioning their relative worthiness in the Criterion line.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, a lot of negativity for Bette Davis.

I like to spend my time talking about the releases I'm excited about, not complaining about the ones I don't want.

Different strokes, I guess.
People have the right to express their opinions about Bette. Every actor has their fans and non-fans.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
People have the right to express their opinions about Bette. Every actor has their fans and non-fans.

Which is why these discussions are valuable. I was always "meh" about her, but reading from others about how excited they were for her films, and about her, I started checking out titles and she's won me over. I'm not going to be grabbing these titles, I'm good with my current copies/latest viewings and trying to cut down on physical media. Otherwise I'd be all over them.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

I was talking about all the complaining that ALL ABOUT EVE is getting another Blu-Ray release.

One person complaining was enough, but after a few posts it gets tired. And it's not like Criterion is going to stop in here and say: "Oh, no one wants this, we'd better pull it from our schedule."

Get over it and move on.

I couldn't care less if other people don't like her work. That's their loss, IMHO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was talking about all the complaining that ALL ABOUT EVE is getting another Blu-Ray release.

One person complaining was enough, but after a few posts it gets tired. And it's not like Criterion is going to stop in here and say: "Oh, no one wants this, we'd better pull it from our schedule."

Get over it and move on.

I couldn't care less if other people don't like her work. That's their loss, IMHO.
Well, people have the right to complain about All About Eve getting another BD release too. "Get over it and move on" can apply to those that complain about the complainers too. With that said, people have the right to express their opinions without being attacked for expressing them.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Robert, I am not attacking, but I find negativity a waste of time. If I went around to every thread to voice my displeasure at a release I had no interest in, I wouldn't have time to actually watch movies!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, I am not attacking, but I find negativity a waste of time. If I went around to every thread to voice my displeasure at a release I had no interest in, I wouldn't have time to actually watch movies!
I feel the same way about negativity, but that doesn't mean how I see things should be the same way for every one else. It doesn't work that way, especially on an open forum with opinionated people.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it’s worth, I made the first comment, and my intention was to express surprise that a double dip on an already available Blu-ray was considered viable in today’s difficult marketplace for physical media. It was not intended as a statement of negativity. It was a statement of surprise. And as I said at the time, I wish for the release’s success.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks