1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Criterion explains the release delays here:
    So the November 20 date on the Monsoon Wedding page does appear to be a mistake, just as Chris surmised.

2. Guest

Delete.

3. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Ben, you might want to wait on The Third Man and Chungking Express because both are in the flimsy digipaks that Criterion used on their first 8 or so releases and Criterion has said that they are going to be offering them in the clear keepcases that they now use, but they've not given a date as to when the new keepcase versions will be available.

Now, if the packaging doesn't matter, I'd say you should go with The Third Man. It looks great and is packed with quality supplemental material. I love Chungking Express, but the disc only has a few extras and while I think the transfer is great, in that it is accurate to the source material, it can be seen as disappointing to people who aren't familiar with the film or WKW's style. I haven't seen Pierrot le Fou, so I can't comment on the Blu-Ray.

4. Guest

Thanks Derrick. You should see the new Studio Canal Collection digipacks... These Criterion ones look very sturdy by comparison! At least CC gave you a dome for disc storage; these Studio Canal ones have a cardboard hole that the disc slips into; like, as if I want to pay prestige prices for a classic disc, and then risk it getting scratched just to take it in and out... Sheesh.

Here's a case question, though. Do we assume that Criterion will be issuing all forthcoming titles in blu amaray; will it be safe to pre-order Pierrot without worrying I'll be buying a digipack?

5. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Pierrot Le Fou is in the clear style keep case like Playtime.

You can look at the packaging here.

http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-packaging/pierrot-le-fou-blu-ray/the-criterion-collection/606

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

7. David Wilkins

Before I bother with emailing Criterion, does anybody know with which title the new case design started? I'd like to avoid purchasing as many replacement cases as possible.

8. Guest

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Cardboard cases:
    The 400 Blows
    The Third Man
    The Man Who Fell to Earth
    The Last Emperor
    Bottle Rocket
    Chungking Express
    El Norte
    The Last Metro
    Last Year at Marienbad
    Regular Blu-ray packaging:
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Newer clear case:
    The Seventh Seal
    The Wages of Fear
    For All Mankind
    Playtime
    The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (2 cases)
    Kagemusha
    Pierrot le fou
    In the Realm of the Senses
    Repulsion
    All releases going forward will presumably be with the new clear cases.

10. David Wilkins

Thanks, Brandon. You are a fount of useful info.

11. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    From a recent post on the Criterion Facebook page (which is surprisingly, and refeshingly, candid for the company more often than not):
    "We'll get to more Truffaut over time. As for Blu-rays, they're really starting to catch on. We know how important the format is to the many early adopters in our audience, and we'd like to do more going forward, but because of our limited capacity, we're always going to have to make choices. We would have loved to make the Kurosawa set available in both DVD and Blu-ray formats, but as a small, independent company, we had to be honest with ourselves and admit that we don't have the capacity to make a worthy 25-Blu-ray set, at least not without bringing all other Criterion production, and with it our mission, to a grinding halt. Making good Blu-rays turns out to be an inordinately labor- and time-intensive undertaking, and we are already struggling to bring our Blu-ray capacity up from one or two releases a month to three or four. At this stage of the game, given the care we insist on, a good 25 Blu-ray set was just out of the question."
    So, good news going forward as they look to increase their BD output, even if it they struggle to do so, and isn't every release.

12. Guest

There's so many great Criterion DVD's. I can't wait to see Belle and the Bete, Brazil, Written on the Wind, My Man Godfrey, 8 1/2, Regle du Jeu, Battle of Algiers, Heaven Can Wait, Pandora's Box, If..., Breathless, Days of Heaven, Vampyr, all Max Ophuls, and Melville, and Archers!!! I'd say their criterion must be pretty good.

However, there have been lapses. Ahem Beastie Boys. Ahem Michael Bay (2 entries wtf?)

13. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    They later indicated that The Leopard is slated for bluray on their facebook page, but not time frame was given so it could be years til they get to that. I am glad they're trying to increase blus to three or four, and it would seem to explain why they've had months where only one or two titles come out.

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The Beastie Boys Anthology was a great release. /img/vbsmilies/htf/dance.gif

15. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    Hell YES.

16. Guest

:) I don't have the disc, so no crap on the quality of the disc, I think it was probably the most leftfield decision Criterion have made. The music videos of Spike Jonze, or Bjork, I wouldn't blink twice. Beastie Boys videos I never considered great art, but haven't seen in a while. Do you think they have good artistic qualities? I'm just wondering, because its been a while since i've seen any.

17. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Funny that you single out Spike Jonze, as four of his videos are part of the collection, including most likely the best one on the set: Sabotage (which I do consider great art, in a tongue-in-cheek kitsch way). (His other 3: Sure Shot, Ricky's Theme, Ciao LA). It's certainly a left field release, but that's partly what I like about it. /img/vbsmilies/htf/cool.gif

18. Guest

I screwed up there! I guess I revealed I knew nothing about the beastie boys set at all!!! Sorry guys. Back on topic.

19. ccfixx

ccfixx Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Criterionforum.org's review of the "Monsoon Wedding" blu-ray.

CC

20. ccfixx

ccfixx Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Courtesy of criterionforum.org...

Below is a great e-mail response from the president of Criterion, Peter Becker, to a customer concerning certain happenings and releases at Criterion.