What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Noir Alley today with Eddie Muller introducing "Detour". His comments afterwards were interesting.

http://1166199035.rsc.cdn77.org/TCM-00125_NoirAlley-Schedule.pdf
His lengthy prologues and afterwards are a mini movie class and are superb. The personal information he has about the stars is also most welcome.

I had never seen Detour so I watched it last night. Can't say it was a good movie, but it did hold my attention so I guess it did its job.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
His lengthy prologues and afterwards are a mini movie class and are superb. The personal information he has about the stars is also most welcome.

I had never seen Detour so I watched it last night. Can't say it was a good movie, but it did hold my attention so I guess it did its job.

I forgot about it this week. Rats.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hacksaw Ridge Blu is terrible, IIRC the Accountant is another. There have been 3 or 4 in the last few months where the Blu had issues but the UHD disc was OK.

I have both of those, but haven't looked at the Blu-ray versions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There have been a few threads on the blu of Hacksaw. Banding and artifacting and that is not on the 2160p version. Not sure why.
I would check them out, but really what's the point of sitting through each title trying to find that banding on the BD, when I have a great looking 4K/UHD disc? I have too many releases I haven't watch at all yet to be looking for some PQ issue.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I understand that, this is blu-ray owners showing they have a problem, and UHD owners noting they dont. People arent sitting around watching both.

My point is, and what could be concerning, is there have been a few snafu's on 1080p discs here lately. Kinda inexcusable unless they are skimping on purpose.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand that, this is blu-ray owners showing they have a problem, and UHD owners noting they dont. People arent sitting around watching both.

My point is, and what could be concerning, is there have been a few snafu's on 1080p discs here lately. Kinda inexcusable unless they are skimping on purpose.
My point is I was going to check those blu ray titles out, but decided my time is better spent not doing so and watching discs I haven't view yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed Passengers on 4K/UHD disc. An outstanding looking disc! The film was much better than I expected based on what I read during its theatrical run.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The film was much better than I expected based on what I read during its theatrical run.

That is comforting, Robert. There haven't been a lot of kind comments about Passengers here on the HTF.

My 4k copy's been delayed a day due to our blizzard here (two feet of snow!)...but should be delivered today or tomorrow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is comforting, Robert. There haven't been a lot of kind comments about Passengers here on the HTF.

My 4k copy's been delayed a day due to our blizzard here (two feet of snow!)...but should be delivered today or tomorrow.
I love the two lead actors and thought both of them did a fine job in this film.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I grew up less than a mile from the Trumbull town line. Connecticut has been pricey for a long time now.

I have lived most of my life in CT (East Hartford, Newington, West Hartford, Cromwell). It depends where you live as far as the cost. CT does have the highest income or near the top.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It appears that TCM is running a Robert Osborne tribute this weekend, which will pre-empt the Noir Alley showing of Act of Violence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FYI,

Amazon has discontinued their policy of restricting gift cards towards Pre-order 4K/UHD, BD and DVD titles. Beforehand, you could only use any gift card towards 4K/UHD, BD and DVD titles that were already released. This was a major complaint for many around here.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Damn. I STILL don't have my delivery of How to Succeed from SAE. This blizzard we had this week has delayed both my SAE delivery and a few titles from Amazon.

Delayed gratification...!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FYI,

Amazon has discontinued their policy of restricting gift cards towards Pre-order 4K/UHD, BD and DVD titles. Beforehand, you could only use any gift card towards 4K/UHD, BD and DVD titles that were already released. This was a major complaint for many around here.

You can also now use Amazon credit card reward points on pre-orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks