What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (4 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sadly, Robert Osborne died today at the age of 84.:( Many of us watched and listened to him on Turner Classic Movies for many years. He will be sadly missed, may he R.I.P.

This is a huge loss for all fans of classic cinema. I've enjoyed watching him for so many years -- he was TCM.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a huge loss for all fans of classic cinema. I've enjoyed watching him for so many years -- he was TCM.
He sure was, back in the mid-90s, it was him on TCM and George Clooney's Dad on AMC, before commercials and more recent film showings ruin that latter station for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Off to see Kong: Skull Island in 3-D IMAX. I'm really looking forward to this one. This weekend I plan on watching the Compulsion BD release from Kino. Yesterday, I watched Moana in 3-D on my LG OLED and it's a beautiful disc with a splendid audio track.

One disc I haven't watch and that I need to rectify is the Arrival 4K/UHD disc. I want to watch this film in the night hours which has complicated me viewing it. I'll try to get this done in the next several days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I felt like some John Wayne this weekend so I watched my HD Digital copy of "Tall in the Saddle" then watched my DVD again of "Island in the Sky" while listening to the audio commentary. Both had very good video presentations.

I never did get around to "Compulsion" or "Arrival". Perhaps, I knock off "Compulsion" this afternoon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did watched the Kino BD Release of "Compulsion". It looks far better than I ever recall on any other video format. I love Cinemascope Black and White Films! A terrific movie about the famous Leopold and Loeb murder case from the 1920s with the Clarence Darrow part under a different name played by Orson Welles. A good audio commentary for the film too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was my second viewing of this film, but I finally watched the "Arrival" 4K/UHD disc early this morning while still dark outside. What a terrific film! Amy Adams is an underrated actress. The video and audio presentations of this fine film were outstanding. One of the better science fiction films in the last 10-20 years.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, I viewed the second episode of "Feud" This series is a hoot! It doesn't paint Robert Aldrich in a good light. I do have to wonder how much creative license were taken with certain events? Not so much with Jack Warner as he's being portrayed as he should have been, but, in regard to Aldrich and Hopper.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I watched the "Arrival" 4K/UHD disc early this morning while still dark outside. What a terrific film! Amy Adams is an underrated actress. The video and audio presentations of this fine film were outstanding. One of the better science fiction films in the last 10-20 years.

Watched it last night. I kinda understand some of the PQ complaints, but, the presentation looked great on my OLED. I fully believe being calibrated for HDR makes a large difference in how you see the final result. I was engaged in the movie and never found myself thinking something was wrong with the image.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched it last night. I kinda understand some of the PQ complaints, but, the presentation looked great on my OLED. I fully believe being calibrated for HDR makes a large difference in how you see the final result. I was engaged in the movie and never found myself thinking something was wrong with the image.
IMO, I think those PQ complaints are baseless because the disc is true to the source It was a very dark film in the movie theater and on some of the bonus material that I watched this morning, they talked to why that was an intended look by the director and cinematographer.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I agree, but I can also see if you display was not setup properly, it could look worse than intended. Plus so many want all the crazy HDR pop sometimes, but if the source requires it to be subtle it is what it is.

Ive seen people complaining at another forum that Jack Reacher 2 UHD looks bad, when I felt the exact opposite. Just so many people using displays that cannot do HDR well, or are poorly setup, so it makes things seem worse than they are IMO. I personally do not think any LCD that isn't FALD should even be trying to do HDR, and the OLED is def suited for that type of content.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I will say this about Arrival:

I did a comparison of the Blu-ray to the UHD Blu-ray and the difference was remarkable. The standard Blu looked awful and lifeless compared to the HDR presentation.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
There have been a few blu's lately with banding, etc... that were not on the UHD version. I hope this is not intentional.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Hacksaw Ridge Blu is terrible, IIRC the Accountant is another. There have been 3 or 4 in the last few months where the Blu had issues but the UHD disc was OK.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also, I viewed the second episode of "Feud" This series is a hoot! It doesn't paint Robert Aldrich in a good light. I do have to wonder how much creative license were taken with certain events? Not so much with Jack Warner as he's being portrayed as he should have been, but, in regard to Aldrich and Hopper.

My wife was recording it, but I starting watching a bit just to see Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon. Just astonishing the 45 minutes of the Pilot and 2nd episode I saw. Agreed that Aldrich is not being portrayed nicely at all -- man I hope this is a long way off from reality. I wonder if one of the forum regulars might shed a bit of light about how much liberty is being taken. I did get a kick out of Zeta-Jones and Kathy Bates though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks