What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Peyton Place Blu-ray is in the house so I'll knock that one off this afternoon.:D
A great looking disc! While watching Peyton Place today and listening to the Peyton Place theme, I had flashbacks from my childhood when I had to endure my older sisters watching Peyton Place, the Soap Opera TV series with Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow. God, it was awful as I wanted to watch a good old Western or WWII TV series and I got overruled or outvoted. It got better when they left to go to college.:)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, that's always been the case.

I received an error every time I tried to use the reward points associated with my Amazon Chase VISA card for any pre-orders until the card was recently upgraded to a new "Amazon Prime" VISA a couple of months ago. Additional changes were 5% rewards points for purchases at Amazon (the old card was 3%) and no international transaction fees.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received an error every time I tried to use the reward points associated with my Amazon Chase VISA card for any pre-orders until the card was recently upgraded to a new "Amazon Prime" VISA a couple of months ago. Additional changes were 5% rewards points for purchases at Amazon (the old card was 3%) and no international transaction fees.
I never had that problem.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I viewed Passengers on 4K/UHD disc. An outstanding looking disc! The film was much better than I expected based on what I read during its theatrical run.

Great looking disc. Watched it tonight with the wife. I watched it in theaters, but she didn't. I liked it more on my second viewing and my wife really liked it too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I revisited "RocknRolla" on Blu-ray, a 2008 Crime/Comedy film directed by Guy Ritchie with One-Two, Mumbles, Handsome Bob and the rest of the Wild Bunch dealing the property value skyrocketing in London.:) But, the real character of this film is Johnny Quid. His scenes were hilarious. A great cast of UK actors with a few Americans thrown in the mix.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner Archive announced 36 Hours and Ride the High Country for Blu-ray releases. Both titles are first day purchases for me. I wonder what other two titles WA will announce as they've been releasing four titles each month?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ever since I first viewed Spencer's Mountain in a movie theater back in 1963, it became a personal favorite of mine. Now, finally it's being released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive. It's funny how much I love this film, yet, I was never a fan of The Waltons. I'm sure part of the reason was Henry Fonda and of course, my boyhood crush on Maureen O'Hara. Perhaps, the beauty of the Grand Tetons has something to do with my affinity for this fine film.

Note: The Rounders another fine film with Fonda and Glenn Ford is being released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive too. So that's four titles I'll be pre-ordering on day one.

SPENCER’S MOUNTAIN (1963)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
BD50
COLOR - 118 Minutes
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
DTS HD-Master Audio English 2.0 Mono
English SDH

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Vintage Documentary Featurette "Spencer's Mountain:Grand Teton Premiere"; Vintage Henry Fonda Interview (SD)

Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Grandpa Spencer fathered nine boys in the shadow of the Grand Teton mountain bearing their name. His son Clay (Henry Fonda) married Olivia (Maureen O’Hara) and had nine more kids, “all thoroughbreds.” Now the eldest son is out of high school, eager for more in life. But college money is hard to come by.

Spencer’s Mountain has deep roots too. It’s based on the Earl Hamner Jr. novel that later inspired TV’s The Waltons. The pleasures of Delmer Daves’ film are as plentiful as trout in its swirling streams. Fonda and O’Hara shine in a cast that includes Wally Cox, Donald Crisp and James MacArthur. Max Steiner supplies an evocative score. Breathtaking fields and forests add visual splendor. All enhance this beloved story of human values – and reaching for your dreams.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah baby, one of my favorite Cagney films announced for Blu-ray by MisterLime.:dance:

Here're some additional extras from the May 30th release of ONE, TWO, THREE!

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Michael Schlesinger
• Billy Wilder on Politics and One, Two, Three
• Billy Wilder and Volker Schlöndorff discussing One, Two, Three
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Original Theatrical Trailer

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm coming in late here, but wanted to echo Crawdaddy's enthusiasm for the Davis/Crawford FEUD. What a wonderful, juicy treat for those of us who grew up loving BABY JANE and CHARLOTTE and even Crawford's turns in the William Castle flicks. These were a major thrill for me as a kid, and I still love 'em.

It also just happens that I've lately become more fascinated with Bette Davis in general than ever before. Crawford too, now, thanks to this, but I'm watching various interviews with Davis on talk shows, and she truly broke the mold when it came to film actresses.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I just re-watched Grand Hotel--featuring a very young Joan Crawford. She was quite...something...in 1932 (in her mid-20s).

I'll be on the lookout for Spencer's Mountain, Robert.

It's the other way 'round for me. I've seen every episode of The Waltons but never visited Spencer's Mountain. While I still have fond memories of the Waltons, I think the film will be a good entertainment for Peg and I when its released. I have no fear of being disappointed.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Ever since I first viewed Spencer's Mountain in a movie theater back in 1963, it became a personal favorite of mine. Now, finally it's being released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive. It's funny how much I love this film, yet, I was never a fan of The Waltons. I'm sure part of the reason was Henry Fonda and of course, my boyhood crush on Maureen O'Hara. Perhaps, the beauty of the Grand Tetons has something to do with my affinity for this fine film.

Note: The Rounders another fine film with Fonda and Glenn Ford is being released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive too. So that's four titles I'll be pre-ordering on day one.

PENCER’S MOUNTAIN (1963)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
BD50
COLOR - 118 Minutes
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
DTS HD-Master Audio English 2.0 Mono
English SDH

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Vintage Documentary Featurette "Spencer's Mountain:Grand Teton Premiere"; Vintage Henry Fonda Interview (SD)

Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Grandpa Spencer fathered nine boys in the shadow of the Grand Teton mountain bearing their name. His son Clay (Henry Fonda) married Olivia (Maureen O’Hara) and had nine more kids, “all thoroughbreds.” Now the eldest son is out of high school, eager for more in life. But college money is hard to come by.

Spencer’s Mountain has deep roots too. It’s based on the Earl Hamner Jr. novel that later inspired TV’s The Waltons. The pleasures of Delmer Daves’ film are as plentiful as trout in its swirling streams. Fonda and O’Hara shine in a cast that includes Wally Cox, Donald Crisp and James MacArthur. Max Steiner supplies an evocative score. Breathtaking fields and forests add visual splendor. All enhance this beloved story of human values – and reaching for your dreams.

Spencer's Mountain has always held a special place for too. While I didn't see it till the early 70s, I have fond memories of watching it with my Mom and Dad on TV. The glorious setting should look wonderful on Blu-ray. Ironically I too never cared for The Waltons.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched Noir Alley today with Eddie Muller introducing "Detour". His comments afterwards were interesting.

http://1166199035.rsc.cdn77.org/TCM-00125_NoirAlley-Schedule.pdf
This morning I viewed the latest Noir Alley presentation which was Tension. Eddie Muller's comments before and after the film were great as always with some comments about Audrey Totter and the director, John Berry. Totter's performance in this film was terrific. I always loved her roles in film noir, especially, in this film and Lady in the Lake.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This might not be totally accurate, but I'm going to watch "Feud" anyway. The Davis vs. Crawford angle always intrigues me because I remember seeing "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" as a kid back in the 1960's, and I still wonder if "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte" would have been better if Crawford, not Olivia de Havilland co-starred with her long-time good friend, Bette Davis?

It's ironic that a very good action director like Robert Aldrich directed and produced those two films and was thrush into the middle between those two female stars.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/feud
The latest episode of "Feud" was interesting in how it contrasted the two actresses. Also, It's funny how Robert Aldrich is better thought of today than back then. So many of his films are among my favorites. I remember seeing 4 for Texas in a movie theater when it was released. Of course, my eyes were more fixated on the two female leads instead of Frank and Dean.:blush: Also, Charles Bronson made an impression on me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These are the films that a so-called "B" film director like Robert Aldrich directed in his career. A very underrated director!

Apache
The Big Knife
Vera Cruz
Kiss Me Deadly
Attack
Ten Seconds to Hell
The Last Sunset
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte
The Flight of the Phoenix
The Dirty Dozen
Too Late the Hero
Ulzana's Raid
Emperor of the North
The Longest Yard
Twilight's Last Gleaming

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This morning I viewed the latest Noir Alley presentation which was Tension. Eddie Muller's comments before and after the film were great as always with some comments about Audrey Totter and the director, John Berry. Totter's performance in this film was terrific. I always loved her roles in film noir, especially, in this film and Lady in the Lake.
I watched it yesterday evening. I had never seen the movie before, and it was a wonderful first viewing. Loved the various twists, and the performances were engaging.

Muller's comments continue to be most valuable, and he's camera friendly, too, enough so that TCM should consider him for a more time friendly spot or as an alternate to their regular nighttime host.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched it yesterday evening. I had never seen the movie before, and it was a wonderful first viewing. Loved the various twists, and the performances were engaging.

Muller's comments continue to be most valuable, and he's camera friendly, too, enough so that TCM should consider him for a more time friendly spot or as an alternate to their regular nighttime host.
I can't agree with you more about Muller. He's better than any one else they currently have as their hosts.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched this for the first time yeasterday afternoon, mostly because it starred Richard Basehart. I was very surprised the others in the cast. Performances great all around and the host seemed very knowledgeable and articulate. Great film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I forgot "Elementary" the TV series started back up this month and forgot to program my new 4K/UHD DirecTV receiver to record it Anyhow, I just got done with the two "Kitty" episodes from On Demand. I'll try to watch the other two March episodes this week.

However, I just got 12 new discs from Target and Amazon with eight of them being 4K/UHD releases. One of them is Planet Earth II so I'll be watching some of that today.:) Needless to say, I'll be quite busy this week.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks