What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (5 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will check it out tomorrow.

Then I have to watch the new Godzilla movie. Promised someone I would. :(
I liked the new Godzilla movie as I watched it twice at the movie theater. I won't buy it on disc until the Black Friday sales. I'm not sure you'll like it, but its not short of monster action which is all I wanted for me to be entertained by it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which really makes it odd to me that DVD Profiler has the box set and 2 of the 3 dvds from it, but not Jungle Book. So bizarre that someone would go to so much trouble to enter *almost* all of it into the database and skip one disc.
I did find it on DVD Profiler as Jungle Book Eclipse Series 30 with a 11-29-11 release date.

thumbnail

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Most of the Eclipse series movies have not been cleaned up by Criterion. Seems like Jungle Book looked beautiful, but most of their releases on that label are not the usual pristine jobs you find on regular Criterion discs. I need to search for that review to see if it made the transition from one server to another.

I remember a set of early Kurosawa films from the 1940s that were in very rough shape, for example.

I found the review! It is here.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Most of the Eclipse series movies have not been cleaned up by Criterion. Seems like Jungle Book looked beautiful, but most of their releases on that label are not the usual pristine jobs you find on regular Criterion discs. I need to search for that review to see if it made the transition from one server to another.

I remember a set of early Kurosawa films from the 1940s that were in very rough shape, for example.

I found the review! It is here.

I think that was one of the reasons for the Eclipse series, to get films out that may not have been restored/remastered or may not warrant a full Criterion level release, but were still valuable films that should be seen. Some, of course, have made their way into Criterion proper, like the Early Bergman films (Eclipse Series #1).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I need a Criterion Channel recommendation, Robert.

With the exception of John Wick 3, I am watching crap these days.
Ron,

Have you ever seen "The Bear" (1988)? I see it's playing on The Criterion Channel. A really good film that I'm going to revisit with my BD in the near future. I actually watched that film for the first time in a movie theater and have watched it a couple times since then. It's been a while since my last viewing.

The%20Bear.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm watching the movie on the Criterion channel right night and it's a shame this beautiful looking Technicolor movie isn't on a properly released Blu-ray in Region A.
After watching it and some further thought, I don't think I'll buy it on Blu-ray even it was was released in Region A. The movie was fine, but it's not the type of movie I have to see again. My last viewing of it was when I was a kid and after seeing it again, I actually prefer "The Jungle Book" 2016 which is probably heresy to some around here. Also, I enjoy the 1967 film too with some of the musical numbers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron, are you a fan of Barbara Stanwyck? If so you might want to check out "Baby Face" an early Stanwyck film that runs counter to her Victoria Barkley role.:) It's a short film at about 75 minutes. You'll see a young John Wayne in it too as this film was made in 1933.

I'll get back to you with some other recommendations.
This morning I was in the mood to watch some Ms. Stanwyck, who happens to be my all-time favorite actress so I took my own recommendation I gave to Ron and re-watched "Baby Face" for the umpteenth time. I love Stanwyck's character in this pre-code film. With that said, I never liked the ending and I always wished they didn't go with the soapy ending as it was against the tough-as-nails character she portrayed throughout the movie. Anyway, I'm probably going to watch again at least one more of those early Stanwyck films today. I'm thinking of "Ladies They Talk About" and/or "Gambling Lady".

220px-Baby_Face_1933_film_poster.jpg
screen-shot-2016-01-19-at-5-57-00-pm.png

By the way, a shout out to Theresa Harris, pictured below who plays Stanwyck's best friend and companion which was unusual considering race relations during that time. She's also in "Jezebel" as Bette Davis's maid. A talented black actress and singer that was born in the wrong film era.

7b89f5bdf707dca0560b97368829fe2b.jpg

The Duke not getting the girl in this movie, early in his film career.:) I wish they made another movie together later on.

babyface4.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,

Have you ever seen "The Bear" (1988)? I see it's playing on The Criterion Channel. A really good film that I'm going to revisit with my BD in the near future. I actually watched that film for the first time in a movie theater and have watched it a couple times since then. It's been a while since my last viewing.

The%20Bear.jpg
I also saw The Bear when it opened. I considered the Bear's performance to be the most outstanding for that particular year, better than any nominated actor's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner Archive has released a good-looking Blu-ray of Merrill's Marauders" (1962) starring Jeff Chandler. Presentation-wise it's a major improvement over the 2008 DVD. As to the movie, it's a good WWII movie directed and co-written by the great Sam Fuller. It's one of those movies that Channel 7 (ABC), the NYC affiliate used to play quite often on their weekday movie time slot so I've had plenty of viewings along with owning it on home video for many years.

51I35ugOSfL._SY445_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On "The Criterion Channel" I watched a couple of Barbara Stanwyck movies in which she played a woman with some slight issues like being a bank robber and a gambler.:) Each film is about 66-69 minutes long. These early Stanwyck films are among my favorites as she was very good at playing the "bad" girl in which she displays a level of confidence and toughness that's usually reserved for male actors. Also, even more so now, I find these pre-code movies quite entertaining and amusing as I watch them with 2019 sensibilities.:)

upload_2019-9-1_7-46-8.jpeg

220px-Gambling_Lady_poster.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm posting this here since a lot of people visit this thread. Per TCM's monthly schedule posted online, tonight at 2am EST, a great Dino Risi film will play: Scent of a Woman (Profumo di donna). It stars Vittorio Gassman in the role that won Pacino an Oscar. Now, if you want to see great acting as opposed to grandstanding, catch this film and compare.
IMO, the Italian film is better, the performances are better, etc. You be the judge.
I'm quite excited about this showing since I've only seen this film in a bad VHS copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks