1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After getting their email this morning, I did noticed that film showing when I reviewed TCM's September schedule.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Another film I haven't watched in years, "Confessions of a Nazi Spy" (1939) starring Edward G. Robinson and Paul Lukas. I have the WA DVD, but decided to watch it on the TCM app. This WWII propaganda film about a Nazi spy ring wasn't as good as I remembered it. It's still a good movie, but I forgot that Robinson doesn't showed up in the movie until 35-40 minutes into the movie and that George Sanders disappears from the movie.

[​IMG]

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Next up is Fast Color which is a blind buy for me on iTunes.

[​IMG]

4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    deleted

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I really like this little film about a family in which the women pass down to the next generation certain powers such as the ability to reduce an object to dust then reassemble it back to its former state for example, along with some powers that are even greater than that. I didn't know anything about this 2019 film from Lionsgate, but ran across it on iTunes in which they were selling the 4K/DV digital for $9.99. What caught my eye is that Gugu Mbatha-Raw stars in the film as a woman with great powers, but who is broken and has major issues. She comes back home to see her mother and the young daughter she left behind because of her issues. Again, all three women have powers that could be seen as a gift or a curse. The world they live in has been in a severe drought for many years in which society as a whole is on the brink of destruction.

Lorraine Toussaint plays Mbatha-Raw's mother and Saniyya Sidney plays her daughter along with David Straitharn playing another key role in this film. I was really into this small budget film and will be watching it again in the near future with the audio commentary from the director/writer.

The Drifter likes this.
  6. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I’m glad to see your comments as this one is on my radar as a film that’s right up my alley. I read that Amazon has also commissioned a series based on this as well (not sure if it will be related to the film or not, but I’ll be tuning in when it makes it to Prime regardless).

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, I read something about a series as this has potential. One of the major plot points is that the family has been in hiding for generations as the government has been wanting to capture them for study.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
  9. Message #2249 of 3022 Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    On the TCM app. I watched "Captain Fury" (1939) starring Brian Aherne, Victor McLaglen, Paul Lukas, June Lang and John Carradine. Also, with George Zucco and Douglas Dumbrille playing their usual "bad" guy roles.:) I had this on DVD-R for years, but never got around to watching this "B" adventure/western type film that takes place in Australia during the mid-1800's. I was in the mood yesterday so I watched it on the TCM app and was pleasantly surprise that I kind of enjoyed it. Hal Roach directed this film which I found interesting. I thought June Lang was lovely in this film. It's too bad her film career got sidetracked by marrying a mobster. Anyhow, this movie is definitely a "B" type movie that reminds you of similar such movies made back in the day.

[​IMG]

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Man, I've been on a Paul Lukas film streak as I watched two more of his movies today which makes it four movies since Saturday. First up was "Uncertain Glory" (1944) starring Errol Flynn and Paul Lukas. It's about a career criminal/Flynn about to be put to death during WWII in France, when good fortune allows him to escape before his death sentence was carried out. Lukas plays the detective that tracks Flynn down, but their journey together is far from over. The movie takes a turn in which Flynn makes a proposal to Lukas that he couldn't refuse because the many lives it would save from Nazi retribution. The one problem I always had with this film was the final resolution as the film never convinced me that Flynn would make such a sacrifice. IMO, the reason why he had a change of heart instead of escaping just didn't work me. Because of that, I never considered this film on the level of "Edge of Darkness" another WWII film that I consider a much better movie.

[​IMG]

My second Lukas movie in which he won the Best Actor is "Watch on the Rhine" (1943) starring Bette Davis and Paul Lukas. For many years, I didn't think Lukas deserved the Oscar for that role as I thought Humphrey Bogart/Casablanca, Gary Cooper/For Whom the Bell Tolls and even Mickey Rooney/The Human Comedy were more deserving of the award. I thought this film deferred too much to Davis's character because she was the bigger star. With that said, Lukas was excellent in this movie and the last sequences with him were very impressive as he did give an acting performance deserving of an Oscar. I just think Bogart, Cooper and Rooney were better.

As to the film, it's a WWII melodrama in which Lukas, a German anti-Nazi freedom fighter makes his way to America with his American wife/Davis and their three children to her wealthy mother's estate in Virginia. There he faces even more danger from the Nazis because of a house guest of his mother-in-law. Again, the final film sequences with Lukas, probably won him the Oscar, but I still think other actors were more deserving of it that year. This is a really good film, but there are a couple of sequences that doesn't sit with me well. Top-notch acting performances from all the supporting actors including Lucile Watson as Bette's mother.

[​IMG]

11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree with you about Lukas' Oscar. Others were more deserving. He had starred in the Broadway version of the play, and that carried a certain amount of good will during that era, and the war theme also made it timely. My toss-up is between Bogie and Rooney, and on any given day, I could go for either of them depending on my mood. Lukas would not have been in the running if I had been the only person to nominate actors. My other two nominees would have been Joseph Cotten in Shadow of a Doubt and Henry Fonda (or Dana Andrews) in The Ox-Bow Incident.

JohnMor and Robert Crawford like this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Today's viewing "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" (Extended Cut) at my local GDX theater. I haven't watched my Blu-rays in years, but would like to see this on the big screen one more time as I never seen the extended version in a cinema theater. I'm hoping Warner and Peter Jackson are working on releasing these on 4K/UHD discs.

upload_2019-9-4_10-12-26.

DavidJ likes this.
  13. Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

A reminder that Eddie Muller and Noir Alley are back this weekend with "The Big Clock."

Maxman43 and DavidJ like this.
  14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep, I just streamed the movie in the last month, so I won't look at the film, but I'll record Noir Alley to get Eddie's almost always valuable comments.

Maxman43 likes this.
  15. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Thanks for the reminder.

Maxman43 likes this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    @bujaki Jose,

Have you seen any of the following movies that iTunes have on sale for $4.99 each:

That Brennan Girl aka Tough Girl (1946)
    Storm Over Lisbon (1944)
    Flame of the Islands (1956)
    The Flame (1947)
    Laughing Anne (1954)

I know they were all Republic Pictures that Martin Scorsese had a hand in their restoration with the Film Foundation. It has been noted that 30 different movies were involved in that restoration program. Some of them like "I, Jane Doe" (1948) were released on Blu-ray which I have on BD disc and it's on sale at iTunes too for $4.99. Any thoughts about those titles above as I haven't seen any of them?

17. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Damn! No, I haven't seen any of these, and I don't have iTunes. Laughing Anne is a Technicolor production with Margaret Lockwood, so that's intriguing. I did enjoy I, Jane Doe.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    What the hell, it's only $4.99...:)

[​IMG]

19. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Please let me know about the PQ. It's supposed to be Technicolor and WS.

20. Message #2260 of 3022 Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    The movie started filming in December, 1952 and was finished in mid-February, 1953, so I think it was converted to WS. The HD digital is 1.37 and the color looks beautiful. The framing looks fine to me as I suspect this is similar to "Shane" which was filmed in 1951.

bujaki likes this.