1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    For me, if I don’t like a particular cover (for example, not using original poster), I just scan the current cover, and replace the front art with a downloaded pic. A relatively simple photoshop activity. I then print out the new cover

2. Message #2182 of 2388 Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The German Explosive Media and Kino Blu-rays are similar video presentation-wise, but the Kino audio just sounds better to my old ears. The Kino disc has DTS-HD MA 2.0 audio which my Marantz 6300 receiver processed to DTS Neurel:X . The Explosive disc has Stereo PCM 2.0. Also, I enjoyed the audio commentary on the Kino disc by Toby Roan. I learned a couple of things that I didn't now beforehand like Frank Chase on Kirk's right was Borden Chase's son. The older Chase wrote a bunch of great westerns including this one. The younger Chase appeared in a bunch of westerns as well as "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman".

[​IMG]

Also, I either forgot or didn't realize that Richard Boone turned down Hawaii Five-0 role of Steve McGarrett before Jack Lord took the part. A big mistake on Boone's part, but it worked out fine for fans of the original TV show like myself. Also, they shot this film in 22 days

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I just bought the HD digital for "The Bad and the Beautiful" on iTunes. With my luck, watch it be released by Warner Archive on Blu-ray in the coming months.:) Anyhow, my next movie viewing will be "Green for Danger" (1949) on The Criterion Channel. It's a film I never seen beforehand, but highly recommended by other HTF members and highly rated by film critics. It's coming out in the UK on Blu-ray disc so I want to watch it before doing a blind buy.

[​IMG]

4. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

A movie that's Warners but strangely not MA. Another one like it is The Letter...

5. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Excellent film. I like Rosamund John in her few films.

6. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I think you will enjoy this one. I have the Criterion DVD and really enjoyed it the first time I watched it. I wonder if I should hold out for a Criterion blu or pick up the UK disc. Decisions, decisions.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yes, a fine film indeed and one I'm looking forward to watching again.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Next up is the Kino Blu-ray of "Day of the Outlaw" as I listen to the audio commentary of Jeremy Arnold.

Tina Louise even with the gun in hand, looks quite sexy in this cover art that never appears in the film.

[​IMG]

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The audio commentary by Jeremy Arnold was really good. One of the best I've heard in the last year or so. Very informative as I learned some details that I didn't know prior to listening to it. Such a great western, but man is it bleak which is why over the many years, I've got to be in a certain mood to watch this film. Filming this in black and white was the correct decision.

Jack K likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It's been a long time, since, I last watched a 3-D movie in any of my home theaters. I'm going to rectify that shortcoming by watching one 3-D movie each week starting in September through the end of the year. Any recommendations as I need to revisit some previously viewed 3-D films never viewed on my OLED 3-D display?

11. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Inferno is one of my favorites. It has great 3D, is a fine movie on its own....and, uh, Rhonda Fleming is standing in the room with you.

[​IMG]

Keith Cobby likes this.
  12. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Um September Storm would match the month ...

13. Message #2193 of 2388 Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Another Saturday viewing was the Kino Blu-ray of "Road House" (1948) starring Ida Lupino, Richard Widmark, Cornel Wilde and Celeste Holm. A fine film noir with Richard Widmark acting nuts again with his crazy good laugh. He's not quite Tommy Udo in this film, but he's still a vengeful nut job. Over many years there are a couple of favorite lines from this movie that always stuck with me. The first one is from Lupino after she slaps Wilde in the face and says "You silly boy". The other is when Lupino finishes singing for the first time and Widmark says to Holm, "Is she good?" and Holm's reply "She does more without a voice than anybody I ever heard". Both dialogue sequences makes me laugh out loud every time I watch this movie.

Also, I watched this BD twice because I wanted to listen to the audio commentary by Eddie Muller and Kim Morgan that Cranston37 has mentioned a couple of times beforehand. The commentary was pretty good and quite funny as they talk about the film and even made light of some of the film's sequences and lines of dialogue especially as it pertains to Celeste Holm's character.

[​IMG]

Maxman43 and Cranston37 like this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    A mediocre suspense/melodrama "Cry Wolf" (1947) starring Barbara Stanwyck and Errol Flynn. This was probably my third viewing of this film that I don't find that appealing except for the two lead actors, who are personal favorites of mine. The video presentation wasn't good either on the TCM app.

[​IMG]

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I watched a pretty good documentary on Buster Keaton yesterday. "The Great Buster: A Celebration (2018)" by Peter Bogdanovich. I learned a few things about this brilliant comedian and director that I didn't know or forgotten about. Nothing against Charlie Chaplin, but I always preferred Keaton for some reason. Both of them were great and I wish they did more than one film together. Anyhow, I'm one of those guys that always buy their movies across different video formats. I'm going to try to watch The General and Cops this week as this documentary got me in the mood to experience some more Buster.

[​IMG]

B-ROLL and JohnMor like this.
  16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Exactly what I did. I chose The Navigator and Our Hospitality.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I watched "Come and Get It" (1936) on the TCM app. What an attractive and talented actress Frances Farmer was back then. What happened to her was a real tragedy. Just a waste beauty, intelligence and talent.

[​IMG]

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Today, I moved a larger subwoofer up to my Office HT as tomorrow, three new SVS Prime speakers arrive as I wasn't really happy with those old Polks I have connected today. I can't even remember when I bought those Polks, it must have been at least 20 years ago. I got (2) Prime Tower speakers and (1) Prime Center that SVS was selling for $1000. The tower speakers have some slight blemishes on them while surprising the center speaker has no blemishes. All total, it save me $350 if I still bought them from SVS without using their Outlet Store which is having a Labor Day sale. I was going to wait until Christmas time to upgrade those speakers, but their lackluster performance was starting to bother me and those sale prices kind of seal the deal for me. Ordered them on Tuesday afternoon and get them on Thursday. Fast service! Those Prime speakers should work very well with my Marantz 6300 receiver. It's a small HT room compared to my main HT setup downstairs.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    [​IMG]

Yeah, Warner Archive should be very proud of this Blu-ray release. One of my favorite musicals from that era and probably due to James Cagney and Joan Blondell as those two were very good, whenever, they were paired together in a movie. Ruby Keeler couldn't sing nor dance, but I enjoyed her in this film along with Dick Powell.

DavidJ likes this.
  20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Interesting that my favorite movie critic Mike Clark posted his Blu-ray review of "Footlight Parade" this morning. I don't totally agree with his comments about Lloyd Bacon and Mervyn LeRoy. Didn't Bacon directed "42nd Street" and didn't that come out before "Footlight Parade"? As to the quality of LeRoy's movies after WWII, they're not as great as the movies he directed earlier, but there are more than a few of them that I consider pretty good damn films. So I don't agree LeRoy's film quality went to hell.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/footlight-parade-review/