What's new

Cover Art - A League of Their Own: SE (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I like both covers. I've been waiting years for this to be redone, and I knew it would be. Tom Hanks should have been nominated for this. This, and Val Kilmer in Tombstone, stand in my mind as some of the most egregious omissions from the Academy.
Now all we need is that Fish Called Wanda SE to finally show up.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Terrible Terrible artwork... the first DVD is actually a lot closer to the original artwork, IIRC.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I don't remember how long ago it was posted in here, but I do remember a thread that mentioned that when Penny Marshall was talking (I think with Rosie) on some talk show, she revealed an SE was in the works. That thread had to have been started at least way back last spring because upon hearing that, I unloaded the non-SE on eBay.

Mark

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I've been holding off on this title for SO LONG, I'm not even that annoyed that the original cover is better (in my opinion)... I'm just going to be glad to get what's inside... :D

I second the comments on waiting around for the Fish Called Wanda: SE someday, and add to that...

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: SE
The American President: SE

...from my own personal wish list of that eras outstanding comedies...

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
I'll bet ten bucks that the extras are exactly the same as what's on the R4 release of about two/three years ago. Me, cynical? ;)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
This is super! The missus was asking me just this past weekend, "Why don't we have A League of Their Own?"
I told her that there was talk of an SE, and added, though if it's not here by Christmas, I think you can expect to get the old version in your stocking.

We'll both be glad she doesn't have to wait! This spring looks like it'll be time for that Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, A League of Their Own triple feature!!

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the original edition NON 16x9 enhanced (anamorphic)?

Seems to me an upgrade would be a no-brainer. ;)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
PeterTHX: nope the original was indeed anamorphic that is partly why i am having a tough decision as to whether i should upgrade or not.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The transfer is excellent. I am not sure even a new transfer could be much better than this. The original dvd is lacking in audio though with only a 2.0 track. Does the new dvd include 5.1 i wonder ? it probably does i would think if i had to guess. The more i think about the more i am leaning to just buying the new one. I might just use the old cover-art though since it's much nicer.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hans Zimmer's score isolated would be nifty. very short on CD.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Quoted from DVDfile:

"audio commentary with Marshall and cast members Lori Petty, Megan Cavanagh and Tracy Reiner."
To refresh: those characters are Kit Keller (Geena Davis' sister), Marla Hooch (the not-so-attractive one), and Betty 'Betty Spaghetti' Horn (the one whose husband dies). Also, remixed 5.1 soundtrack.

I guess that the Rosie O'Donnell rumor was wrong.

And yes, I too am wondering if the laserdisc/HBO documentary will be included.

And just a little trivia for you all...the actress who played the older Geena Davis, Lynn Cartwright, recently passed away from dimentia. RIP.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Aw nuts. I was hoping Geena Davis would be on the commentary track too. Loved her commentary for The Accidental Tourist...

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Jon Lovitz is also very memorable in this movie, his "pickle-tickle" comment always cracks me up. :)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Definately picking this one up, since I passed on the original edition awhile back.

"Hey cowgirls, see the grass...don't eat it."

CraigL

Screenwriter
DVDfile has their review up and though there's a good deal of Madonna bashing in it that I could do without...there you go.
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...eirown_se.html

Have to say I'm disappointed in the annoying decision for the full and widescreen on the same disc. I think I'll hold out for another region which will surely get this with widescreen on both layers. Columbia sure knows how to not get anything right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks