What's new

Full screen covering ads? (2 Viewers)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Yes, anytime something takes over your screen and worse, won't allow you to close it right away, that feels like a website that can't be trusted. It's not something that should be happening on a quality website.
I get this on The Weather Channel (“An IBM Business”) when I check my local weather forecasts. Also a few other sites I've long used. There's usually something I can click/tap that makes it go away after 3-5 seconds. I don't think I've had to wait 10 seconds for one to disappear.

Last edited:

andrew

Administrator
Real Name
Andrew
Like Jonathan mentioned before, we've contacted our ad company about this. It appears there was some sort of misunderstanding regarding their triggers. I'm experiencing the same as everyone is noting. We may have to deal with them until we get a reply and get it straightened out but it's in process.

Apologies for the momentary added annoyance they are causing.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm getting the same as Wilson:

So, the way it seems to be working for me is, as soon as I come to the site, the very first forum I enter, I get a full screen covering ad. Once that one has been dealt with (it usually takes about 5 or 10 seconds before it allows me to close it) I can surf around here for a bit, maybe 10-15 minutes then I will go to open a forum and get another screen covering ad. It almost seems not designed around a time limit, but more around how active I am switching forum to forum. If I am switching forums a lot, reading different topics, I get more full screen pop-up ads.

Personally, I think this is a pretty lousy practice, it makes this site look like either it has been hacked, should not be trusted, or is not properly run. Had I not participated here over time and knew this site and had just come to it, I would flag this as a website not to use.

andrew

Administrator
Real Name
Andrew
Can you guys let me know if the issue is resolved? I'm not seeing the ads anymore, and they should be fully disabled for the time being.

Apparently it is a HTF specific issue, their other clients are having no issues with it working as designed. As with so many other quirks lately, it may be due to things being out of date on the backend. We may end up doing some future tests with these or we may just leave it alone until things are updated and see if that resolves the issue. I will try to jump back in here and let you guys know if we have any testing ahead of time so there are no surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks