What's new

Could The Defenders Be Released on DVD? (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I purchased a season 1 set for my nephew, and he is loving it! I told him not to 'binge watch', as hard as that might be. He says his favorite episode so far was the Shatner one, but he is basically loving them all. He has just started disc 3. Not sure if it's too late to warn him about Giddeons Follies.

Think I'll next purchase a set for a childhood buddy of mine. He turned out to become a judge, so I think he will especially enjoy it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nice little cameo by Gene Wilder as a waiter in "Reunion of Death." And then you get to the 12 Angry Men-style one room 'bottle episode' play featuring every actor also seen on The Outer Limits shortly thereafter: Lee Philips, Robert Webber, Leonard "Architects of Fear" Stone, H.M. Wynant. Makes you wonder if they shared the same casting director, or if TOL producers were heavily paying attention to this show to cop good actors.

I love that ultra serious Robert Webber, so prominent in shows of this era went completely against type and over-the-top as a sniveling mess in Blake Edwards' S.O.B. , which I just recently viewed again on the new blu-ray.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Nice little cameo by Gene Wilder as a waiter in "Reunion of Death." And then you get to the 12 Angry Men-style one room 'bottle episode' play featuring every actor also seen on The Outer Limits shortly thereafter: Lee Philips, Robert Webber, Leonard "Architects of Fear" Stone, H.M. Wynant. Makes you wonder if they shared the same casting director, or if TOL producers were heavily paying attention to this show to cop good actors.

Also: Leonard Stone, Michael Conrad, and Woodrow Parfrey all appeared in third season episodes of LOST IN SPACE, essaying comedic roles quite unlike their parts in "Reunion of Death."

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
A brief, but nice, mention of The Defenders in an article about first-season Emmy winners: http://www.goldderby.com/article/20...is-is-us-handmaids-tale-stranger-things-news/

And my apologies in advance for causing fans of The Defenders cardiac arrest every time they see this thread bumped; I know I go into cardiac arrest every time I see It bumped thinking "Oh My God, Shout has announced more season releases!" :D

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I enjoyed the article too. With all the positive feedback that there has been about the season 1 release it is a shame the seasons 2 -4 have not been released. I would be happy to purchase a complete set of The Defenders. Or even I would be happy to purchase a season 2 part 1. Does anyone know if any other country has released these episodes on DVD? Thanks.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
fun article to read (although he really needs to cut down on the run-on sentences :) ). Thanks for passing along. Too bad Shout doesn't realize that even with the sales expectations falling short on season 1, there are a core group of fans willing to pay twice as much for another season.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
In the extras on the last disc, watch the interview with E.G. Marshall as he discusses the conundrum of the need for a compassionate national health care policy and you realize nothing's changed in the 44 years since that 73' interview.
Yes, because I lost my healthcare coverage under the last overhaul under the last president. I couldn't afford marketplace, so I'm sunk if I get sick.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, because I lost my healthcare coverage under the last overhaul under the last president. I couldn't afford marketplace, so I'm sunk if I get sick.

You must live in a state with a governor like Florida's who didn't accept or expand Medicaid coverage. I sympathize. Or you make too much to qualify for the discount rates on the exchange. I got a good policy for myself and my college age son with a reasonable deductible ($1,500) and for $200 per month. My employer insurance when I worked for a corporate company was $23,000 per year. I'm not proselytizing or advertising, just saying the whole system has been messed up forever. And lately actions not helping. End of E.G. Marshall memorial rant.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
You must live in a state with a governor like Florida's who didn't accept or expand Medicaid coverage. I sympathize. Or you make too much to qualify for the discount rates on the exchange. I got a good policy for myself and my college age son with a reasonable deductible ($1,500) and for $200 per month. My employer insurance when I worked for a corporate company was $23,000 per year. I'm not proselytizing or advertising, just saying the whole system has been messed up forever. And lately actions not helping. End of E.G. Marshall memorial rant.
Yeah, I don't want to get into a rant and get us booted, but the whole system is fouled up. It's not just a Republican or a Democrat thing. There has to be a healthy compromise. Right now I'm scared to even go to the doctor for fear of not being able to pay.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Getting back to The Defenders...

I'm saving the last disc in the set, savoring as much as possible. It's too bad about this release. I don't think enough people really understood what a classic show this is, so they didn't bite. I guess I should be happy I was able to get Season One.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I had really hoped the MOD model would have helped a great deal more in making borderline (in sales potential, not quality) titles like this available. It has done wonders for the film and TV-movie markets, but its impact on television series sets has, overall, been minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks