What's new

Foward into the Past: 50s Sci-Fi Kids shows for restoration...and Beyond!!! (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
not as much as Clutch Cargo!!!

Any relation to the big jawed Superman?

McGuinnessFace_custom-a375ae1124a7a7e937fcefb8207a0006d34f6dfc-s600-c85.jpg

I think the Gerry Anderson marionettes scare me more.

Actually it's more cringe than fright.

Real Name
Steve
Neal,

Shatner did a Promise commercial in my hometown of New Canaan, Ct. back in the day.

John
How did I miss seeing that cholesterol chart in New Canaan? I lived on the town line of New Caanan and Silvermine. Not far from the home of the airline's pilot that was killed in the 70's plane crash. A good friend of my parent's owned Grieb's Pharmacy in New Canann.

I love the 50's space shows.

-steve

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You are most welcome Todd!

That's a very good question. Unfortunately this YT account holder does not respond to queries, at least not mine.
it looks almost like edtiors copies with the time tag, and the not for broadcast was added later..?
these are hands higher quality than what Alpha Video released. Definaltly a better, maybe Euro source??

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I loved this Euro Falsh Gordon series, I wonder just ow many of the original episiodes still exsist?

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Was Flash played by Ted Danson's dad? He's a dead ringer.
some trivia on Steve Holland, now I know where I saw him before...
Worked as model for artist James Bama, who used him as the prototype for "Doc Savage" in the cover illustrations for the novels in the '60s.
Not only used as the face of Doc Savage, but was the model for countless pulp detective novels and magazines for Dell publishing in the 60's and 70's. For a time was the most recognized male illustrated face in the industry.
According to Ron Lesser, well-known illustrator and movie poster artist (High Plains Drifter, Ryan's Daughter) "I used Steve Holland a lot; however, he was used so much by so many artists, that some publishing companies asked me not to use him.".

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Your right, the 6 vol set from Alpha does only have 24 of the 26 episodes. My issue was not with the quantity but the Quality of the videos. While in their possesion, Alpha did nothing to restore or enhance the episodes in question prior to dropping them onto dvds. This is an example of pure laziness on their part, Granted, the tech of being able to clean and restore these epeoisods has changed, for the better, over the years...does not alture the fact of negligence on their part, by defering to a "pop and drop" mentailty.
To be fair to Alpha Video, they never pretended to be a restoration label. They were merely an outlet for public domain releases, mostly struck from 16mm film prints. They sell PD shows for really, really cheap. And while VCI may give you more episodes for your buck, Alpha never crams too many episodes onto a disc. They spread out the longer serials onto multiple DVDs.

VCI does zero restoration and their prints usually look pretty awful and they look WORSE than a lot of Alpha Video releases because they shove 6 hours of content onto a 4 hour DVD. Mill Creek is no better, but they often get better prints.

I have a lovely collection of Alpha Video releases, shows I never would have heard of otherwise and many with period commercials retained. They also have some lovely box art. Even if a full restored release of One Step Beyond ever got completed, I'd still keep my AV episodes because they have original ads on some and capture the feel of seeing that series for the first time in the overnight hours.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
To be fair to Alpha Video, they never pretended to be a restoration label. They were merely an outlet for public domain releases, mostly struck from 16mm film prints. They sell PD shows for really, really cheap. And while VCI may give you more episodes for your buck, Alpha never crams too many episodes onto a disc. They spread out the longer serials onto multiple DVDs.

VCI does zero restoration and their prints usually look pretty awful and they look WORSE than a lot of Alpha Video releases because they shove 6 hours of content onto a 4 hour DVD. Mill Creek is no better, but they often get better prints.

I have a lovely collection of Alpha Video releases, shows I never would have heard of otherwise and many with period commercials retained. They also have some lovely box art. Even if a full restored release of One Step Beyond ever got completed, I'd still keep my AV episodes because they have original ads on some and capture the feel of seeing that series for the first time in the overnight hours.
Alpha has some good points, I still have many titles from them. They're are an improvment over companies like DVD Lady or Sinister Cinema. And yes, by releasing these obscure and often over looked films, you can find some gold in the sand. At lease they try to find a decent copy to dup. That being said, AV has no inhouse upgraded offerings. VCI DOES!!
They have released several BD/DVD 2K and 4K restored offerings, if not in house, they're under thier control prior to release. And I have several of VCI upgraded BD releases and found them to be right up there with the quality of the releases by Film Detective, Flicker Alley and other smaller independent film houses that want to be able to offer thier customers a better product, workiing with LOC and the UCLA Archives is a definate advantage for them as well as thier customers, I being one. And you can actually talk to the ones running the company and they're happy to talk back with you on anything!! One great outfit...not to mention that Alpha Video sells many of VCIs titles on thier site in thier catalogs!!
Some companies are happy onot doing any more than they have too, and that's fine...people vote for the success or failure of a company with thier dollars. For me, I'd rather put my money on a family run buisness like VCI, rather than others previously mentioned. Sometimes you just get what you pay for, sometimes you don't and yet other times....you find some real treasures for your collection at a fair price!!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Scott too bad you missed VCI's just ended sale you could grabbed VCI's Gang Busters, and other stunning restorations they have been doing. Their White Zombie Blu Ray is considered the best out there. Also check out their Angel On My Shoulder which blows away all other copies. They have been on serious mission to upgrade all their product and are going to get even better,

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'd love to see the same effort going into their TV Catalog, especially those one season wonders getting banged out in cheap sets.
I'd love to see the same effort going into their TV Catalog, especially those one season wonders getting banged out in cheap sets.
Their Zane Grey Theater Season One was great - on my copy the interview with Dick Powells son had horrid sound but the episodes were excellent --- I hear their Waterfront set starring Preston Foster is also great never saw their I Married Joan sets

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks