Could The Defenders Be Released on DVD?

Neil Brock

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Actually just learned the true reason why the show didn't continue being released. It wasn't the transfer costs but it was the music licensing. The dreaded Capitol music library. Its all over this show and it just cost too much to justify and replacement music would be just as cost prohibitive. Maybe someday another company will develop an interest and take the attitude of, come get us.

Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased season 1 as a birthday gift for my brother - bought mine when it was released. Not that it would have made a difference even if transfer costs were the reason that subsequent seasons didn't get released. Sounds like there's as much hope for more Defenders as for even one unedited season of Hawaiian Eye.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Actually just learned the true reason why the show didn't continue being released. It wasn't the transfer costs but it was the music licensing. The dreaded Capitol music library. Its all over this show and it just cost too much to justify and replacement music would be just as cost prohibitive. Maybe someday another company will develop an interest and take the attitude of, come get us.

Neil:

Thank you for sharing that information; that makes the cessation of further season releases understandable. This might be outside your wheelhouse, but do you have a ballpark estimate on what those music licensing costs per season might be?

I keep hoping against hope that somehow a financially feasible way to release the remaining three seasons emerges before the DVD format officially bites the dust.

Reactions: Flashgear

Neil Brock

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
No idea of what the $$$ are. What needs to happen is for some entity which doesn't give a damn about the now 50+ year defunct Capitol library comes forth and says they'll put out the show as is and let them come get us. Other, smaller companies have done the same with other series, where the "big boys" were afraid of getting sued. A little company or a one-man operation has nothing to lose and could take the risk.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
No idea of what the $$$ are. What needs to happen is for some entity which doesn't give a damn about the now 50+ year defunct Capitol library comes forth and says they'll put out the show as is and let them come get us. Other, smaller companies have done the same with other series, where the "big boys" were afraid of getting sued. A little company or a one-man operation has nothing to lose and could take the risk.
Maybe we could start such a little rebellious company among The Defenders fans here on HTF! LOL!

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
This one of those shows I learned about from this forum. If never see or heard of it. I bought season 1 but really never watched it much. The first episode I watched was ok but didn’t grab me. I had some time it home recently and thought I’d give the show another shot. I watched “Death Across the Counter” and “The Riot” and was impressed by both. I don’t bought they were both really well written. Definitely look forward to watching more!

As a side note, it’s always interesting to see Frank Sutton in something other than Gomer Pyle. He’s really good in “The Riot”.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz