What's new

Costco Ken Burns' Civil War Deal (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I've been reluctant to order this title from an etailer since they are all having problems and only the worst of the pack can outdo the $84.99 price Costco is listing in their preorder list (an indicator of what they are likely to offer on 9/17 in stores). Except for a couple of Canadian etailers this still seems like the way to go. The more reputable etailers (DVD Planet and DeepDiscountDVD are all offering >$90 pricepoint. Of course there is always shipping and taxes to consider but Costco is in the lead for now.

Anyone out there know of any other B&M's offering this Civil War for a more attractive price? I was hoping for $79.99 somewhere since North American DVD is offering it for $69.99 and a $10 premium is what I have come to expect lately. N.A.DVD would add $5.85 for shipping while Costco $5.10 for taxes. I get a 2% discount (rebate) with my Costco membership so all things being equal they usually win any close calls...

Joel

Patrick.J.A

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but I don't consider this a big release. I doubt many people will be after it, and it is pretty high priced to appeal to the common user just shopping. However I do still want his baseball set (=

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Gotta agree with Patrick, I don't see this as a big draw for fry's to use as a LL. We can hope, I'm still waiting for frys to reprice the imax space set to $45-49.... I've been waiting, still no change.

Maybe fry's will offer a good deal, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Fry's may not try to undercut Costco (BTW, there is no Fry's here on the east coast) but CC or BB may have an incentive. If Fry's does come through I will be on the west coast during the first week of November. I would agree that this is not a typical BB title. It is, however, the best documentary to ever hit television by many accounts. I guess I don't meet the typical buyer demographics profile...

Joel

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Joel,

Frys only puts things on special for a few days at a time so you probably wouldn't be here during the critical few days.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't go to Costco for The Civil War.
[c]GO TO TARGET!!![/c]
Check the new Weekly Roundup for details... :laugh:

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dave,
I just saw the add for it this am and will be at my local Target on Tuesday at the opening bell. I hope they have these 'intellectual titles' in stock per their ads...Who would have 'thunk' that Target would be the low price leader for This Title. Are they trying to appeal to a different audience than typically shops at their stores?
Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I wound up giving up my $$'s to Target with their best B&M local price of $79.99. I don't know how many they had in the store but after asking one of the 'associates' to check if they had any (when they opened on the 17th), he came back for the back of the store with one for me and only one other to put on the shelf. I guess they don't expect too many sales on TCW. I live in eastern PA and other than those who appreciate a 'good documentary' there are plenty of Civil War buffs in the area. They may have missed on this opportunity (sounds like many of the events of the war itself).

I didn't take the BBV offer seriously since it was evident to me that this was an error that they would likely catch. I wanted no chance of missing out of getting this w/out the need to pay ~$100 elsewhere. As it turns out I purchased a couple of additional items at Target while picking it up so it served their purpose of getting me into their store (I doubt that even at $80 they are selling at a negative margin).

Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My wife and I went into Philly (Central Library)to get a free talk by Ken Burns about his documentary experiences. I just thought you guys might find it interesting that one of the questions at the end of a 25 minute sampling of his work over the last 20 years was:
Are any of the documentaries available on DVD?
To which he laughed and said that he had a daughter he was putting through an Ivy League education and yes indeed all his major works including now 'The Civil War' are available in DVD and wouldn't it be nice if everyone would pick up a copy to facilitate her education. He also made a point about the digital remastering and the qualitative improvement of the product (which I can definitely confirm :D).
I later bought his companion book to the Civil War which I had him sign and told him that I not only had the set on DVD but had made it through watching more than have of it already in the upgraded medium. He just beemed with pride and was more than a little surprised since it just streeted a couple of days ago.
I guess I did my part for his daughter's education ;)
Joel

Rick Belford

Auditioning
Hi!

I special ordered 2 ea. Ken Burns Civil War from Blockbuster at less than $30 ea. and am still waiting for them to arrive. Has anyone else been able to get these DVD's for this price?

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
I picked mine up today from BBV for $14.99 plus tax, it came in two days ago from the no deposit special order I placed, I didn't expect it to come in at all and certainly not for that price, what a nice unexpected suprise, see my last post on the Weekly Roundup *9/17 for more info.
Rick, hang in there it very well could show up anytime, I have another CW s/o pending at another BBV and if it comes in maybe I can swap it with someone that got in on that DDD misprice Imax combo set, anyone got a dupliate ?
bodym:cool:v'n

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I went buy the BBV where I ordered my Civil War and asked if they had got it in. Then I saw 3 on the shelf behind the counter. The sticker price was $99. I showed my receipt and the guy just had this dumb look on his face. He then asked the manager and he said he would give me my money back. I said I do not want the money I want my DVD. He said well, I can't give it to you for $29.99. To which I said well, I am not going to pay for your mistake. Plus I had a receipt that said paid in full for Ken Burns Civil War DVD. After trying to get in touch with the girl who I placed the order with he just said Merry Christmas and gave me the DVD.

Thanks all at the forum for helping me save so much money.
Jeff

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Incredible story Jeffrey. I wonder if others were able to capitalize on this 'corporate' error? There is no doubt that it takes some backbone to see this through but you've proven that perseverence pays off. :D
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.