Costco Ken Burns' Civil War Deal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Vardy, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I've been reluctant to order this title from an etailer since they are all having problems and only the worst of the pack can outdo the $84.99 price Costco is listing in their preorder list (an indicator of what they are likely to offer on 9/17 in stores). Except for a couple of Canadian etailers this still seems like the way to go. The more reputable etailers (DVD Planet and DeepDiscountDVD are all offering >$90 pricepoint. Of course there is always shipping and taxes to consider but Costco is in the lead for now.

Anyone out there know of any other B&M's offering this Civil War for a more attractive price? I was hoping for $79.99 somewhere since North American DVD is offering it for $69.99 and a $10 premium is what I have come to expect lately. N.A.DVD would add $5.85 for shipping while Costco $5.10 for taxes. I get a 2% discount (rebate) with my Costco membership so all things being equal they usually win any close calls...

Joel

2. Patrick.J.A

Patrick.J.A Stunt Coordinator

69.99 from northamericandvd Canadian site, though. Shopw with caution.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I'll bet Frys beats Costco by a few dollars - they use big releases as "loss leaders".

4. Patrick.J.A

Patrick.J.A Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, but I don't consider this a big release. I doubt many people will be after it, and it is pretty high priced to appeal to the common user just shopping. However I do still want his baseball set (=

5. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Gotta agree with Patrick, I don't see this as a big draw for fry's to use as a LL. We can hope, I'm still waiting for frys to reprice the imax space set to $45-49.... I've been waiting, still no change.

Maybe fry's will offer a good deal, but I wouldn't bet on it.

6. Joel Vardy

Fry's may not try to undercut Costco (BTW, there is no Fry's here on the east coast) but CC or BB may have an incentive. If Fry's does come through I will be on the west coast during the first week of November. I would agree that this is not a typical BB title. It is, however, the best documentary to ever hit television by many accounts. I guess I don't meet the typical buyer demographics profile...

Joel

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Joel,

Frys only puts things on special for a few days at a time so you probably wouldn't be here during the critical few days.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Don't go to Costco for The Civil War.
    [c]GO TO TARGET!!![/c]
    Check the new Weekly Roundup for details... [​IMG]

9. Joel Vardy

Thanks, Dave,
    I just saw the add for it this am and will be at my local Target on Tuesday at the opening bell. I hope they have these 'intellectual titles' in stock per their ads...Who would have 'thunk' that Target would be the low price leader for This Title. Are they trying to appeal to a different audience than typically shops at their stores?
    Joel

10. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Fry's ads in the bay area don't even mention it.

11. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

12. Joel Vardy

I wound up giving up my $$'s to Target with their best B&M local price of $79.99. I don't know how many they had in the store but after asking one of the 'associates' to check if they had any (when they opened on the 17th), he came back for the back of the store with one for me and only one other to put on the shelf. I guess they don't expect too many sales on TCW. I live in eastern PA and other than those who appreciate a 'good documentary' there are plenty of Civil War buffs in the area. They may have missed on this opportunity (sounds like many of the events of the war itself).

I didn't take the BBV offer seriously since it was evident to me that this was an error that they would likely catch. I wanted no chance of missing out of getting this w/out the need to pay ~$100 elsewhere. As it turns out I purchased a couple of additional items at Target while picking it up so it served their purpose of getting me into their store (I doubt that even at $80 they are selling at a negative margin).

Joel

13. Joel Vardy

My wife and I went into Philly (Central Library)to get a free talk by Ken Burns about his documentary experiences. I just thought you guys might find it interesting that one of the questions at the end of a 25 minute sampling of his work over the last 20 years was:

14. Rick Belford

Rick Belford Auditioning

Hi!

I special ordered 2 ea. Ken Burns Civil War from Blockbuster at less than $30 ea. and am still waiting for them to arrive. Has anyone else been able to get these DVD's for this price?

15. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

I picked mine up today from BBV for $14.99 plus tax, it came in two days ago from the no deposit special order I placed, I didn't expect it to come in at all and certainly not for that price, what a nice unexpected suprise, see my last post on the Weekly Roundup *9/17 for more info.
    Rick, hang in there it very well could show up anytime, I have another CW s/o pending at another BBV and if it comes in maybe I can swap it with someone that got in on that DDD misprice Imax combo set, anyone got a dupliate ?
    bodym[​IMG]v'n

16. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

I went buy the BBV where I ordered my Civil War and asked if they had got it in. Then I saw 3 on the shelf behind the counter. The sticker price was $99. I showed my receipt and the guy just had this dumb look on his face. He then asked the manager and he said he would give me my money back. I said I do not want the money I want my DVD. He said well, I can't give it to you for $29.99. To which I said well, I am not going to pay for your mistake. Plus I had a receipt that said paid in full for Ken Burns Civil War DVD. After trying to get in touch with the girl who I placed the order with he just said Merry Christmas and gave me the DVD.

Thanks all at the forum for helping me save so much money.
    Jeff

17. Joel Vardy

Incredible story Jeffrey. I wonder if others were able to capitalize on this 'corporate' error? There is no doubt that it takes some backbone to see this through but you've proven that perseverence pays off. [​IMG]
    Joel