What's new

Convince me to keep my Xbox (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
About this time last year I sold my PS2, I was burnt out on video games. I realized by winter, that when there's no baseball and it's gross outside, you get pretty bored on your days off w/o a system -- so I bought an Xbox.

I enjoyed Madden 2003 and loved the graphics on DOA3. Since then though, I haven't had a lot to love. I bought All Star 2003 -- good enough game I guess. But here's the problem, that's all I've been able to get into. I tried Halo, I tried Silent Hill2, I tried Gotham Racing, NFL Fever, Spider-Man, WWF Raw. I'm a big sports and wrestling game fan, and I just don't feel like I've gotten my fill like I did with my PS2.

The Xbox just feels kind of... soul-less. I'm to the point where I'm ready to cash in the box and get my PS2 back.

Here's what's driving me crazy:
- Xbox graphics are better
- Xbox sound is better
- Xbox has better HD potential in the future
- Xbox has the built in memory and upgrade potential (DOA3)

But:
- PS2 has a slew of games (some that I really enjoyed). I expected a lot more from Xbox by now.

Talk me out of it, QUICK!

Doug

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Well, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, but the games I've been most excited about and those that inspired me to buy an XBox in the first place don't start hitting stores until September. If I were you, I'd hold off a little longer to see if any of the new releases this Fall grab your interest.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Buffy
Steel Battalion
WWF RAW 2
ToeJam & Earl 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta
NFL 2k3
NHL 2k3
World Series Baseball
Legends of Wrestling 2
Jet Set Radio Future (hurry! OOP!)

XBox Live multiplayer w/ voice

all by the end of the year

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Well, you sound like a sports fan so don't do anything until the 22nd of this month - cause that's when EA's NCAA 2K3 comes out for the XBOX (and PS2). Next month comes Madden or NFL 2K3 and after that comes NHL 2K3.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't have an X-Box, so I can't say that much in its defense, but you learned your lesson when you sold your PS2 so don't sell your X-Box. Try to get your money's worth out of it.

But don't sign up for XBL. It's a rip-off.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
How can you say $45 for a subscription that includes a game and the communicator is a ripoff? Thats gotta be one of the best deals ever.

And yes, my Xbox is sitting too, patiently waiting for more games!

Sam

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
But don't sign up for XBL. It's a rip-off.
MORGAN JOLLEY PLEASE PLACE THE CRACK PIPE ON THE GROUND AND SLOWLY STEP AWAY FROM IT!

XBL is by far and away the easiest and cheapest solution out there, an etire year plus headset/microphone for $50! Do you think Sony is going to charge that? Hell No! They will charge atleats $12 for Everquest(which is what they charge the PC people).

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I got into console gaming mainly as a sports fan too. I bought the PS2 on release day along with Madden 2001. It was better than any other football game out there.

Before the X-Box release, I really fought with myself... I finally decided that I was disappointed enough with the quality of PS2 games on my widescreen HDTV that I went for it.

The only X-Box game that I have that I am actually disappointed in is Madden 2002. The graphics are very sub-par for an X-Box game (although still better than Madden 2002 PS2). I also have NFL2k2, but I prefer the gameplay of Madden. This leaves me in quite a quandry for this year, as EA is leaving the online portion out of X-Box Madden, while NFL2k2 and NFL Fever will have it available. Ugh...

Anyhow, I digress... I would keep your Box if I were you. As you said...better graphics, better sound, built-in ethernet and hard drive... Try out the games coming out in the near future, especially the football games. I still enjoy playing Halo from time to time, as well as Hunter and Rallisport Challenge. My wife enjoys Crash Bandicoot. We are both looking forward to Buffy.

As a side note... Anyone have any inside thoughts as to which NFL game to get this year?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Kelley-

MS is charging $50 for the first year. After the first year, it goes to $10 a month. Plus developers can charge anything additional if they want to (Phantasy Star Online will). Plus that $50 is probably an introductory thing and won't be available for more than a few months, so that $50 for a year just went to $120. And that fee is just to use the X-Box online AT ALL.

Sony is not charging to use the PS2 online. For some individual games there will be charges, but for most there won't be. To tell the truth, a lot of the games that charge are already on PC or will be (like Tribes, FFXI, and EQ). SOCOM is a little more than the average price (I think $60 for the game with no online fees) and comes with a headset, so the PS2 and XB both have a headset mic.

Nintendo hasn't announce anything yet. They'll probably let developers charge if they want to and not ask for any additional fees.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'd say, examine the list of upcoming XBox games to see how many of them peak your interest. If there are alot, hang on to it. I'm feeling a little blue about the lack of games for the Gamecube, but I know a bunch more will be coming over the next few months so there's no way I'm selling it. Also, I've not bought a new PS2 game in a while but there are some awesome games coming up that are definitely making me keep the PS2 as well. All in all, see what's coming and make the choice based on that. If you decide you want to sell it, you can always buy one again later. Ultimately, it's a decision you're gonna have to make on your own.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes...rest assured that, when Nintendo does it, it will be perfect. And revolutionary
Well all that Nintendo has said so far is that they don't want to jump into online gaming that much and are taking a "wait and see" approach. The online thing anyone knows about their plans is that you need to buy a modem to get online, so I'm assuming any additional fees will be added by the developer (much like Sony's plan).

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Pricing plans beyond the $49.99 for 12 months hasn't been revealed yet by Microsoft. The company is comfortable with a 9.95/month value for the service, but this hasn't been translated into any long term pricing.
You can guess that it might be $10/month after the first year, but it's all speculation at this point...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, Sega is only charging to PSO in Japan so far, and that's because of the ludicrous telecommunications costs there for the most part.

The whole point of X-Box live (which, BTW, will run on a lot of Sega technology) is that you pay one fee for servers to be maintained for all games. MMORPGs or games that require much more than matching services require their own servers, so they will likely incur extra fees, but they are likely to be lower since the overhead won't be nearly as much

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-

I know what the whole point of XBL is, but companies are still allowed to charge extra for their games. Just like the GameCube and PS2, most online X-Box games will not incur and additional charges, but I'd rather have a choice of whether or not to buy online games that require fees for my PS2 than be forced to pay for a service no matter what with my X-Box. I can get away with only paying $40 for the network adapter for the PS2 and not paying ANYTHING else to play games online, but you have to pay at least $50 for the first year (and then the $10 a month after) to play online with the X-Box.

No matter what, you end up paying a fee on the XB. You're not forced into it with the PS2. That's why I think the XBL service is a rip-off.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You don't have to always have a sub to X-Box Live either. You can sign up when you havea game you want to play, just like with cable where people buy HBO to watch Sopranos.

I think you'll find most PS2 games will carry a fee, while XB counterparts will not simply because the cost that fee would cover is already covered by MS

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Cube, you get better graphics, all the sports games now, and the goodness of the Wavebird controller, and all the exclusive games that are here or coming.

Metroid Prime, Perfect dark 0, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, 1080 Snowboarding, Waverace Blue Storm, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Star Fox, Resident Evil, and RE 0,monkey ball, sonic, Eternal Darkness, etc.

Plus with the 4 gameports you don't have to give up your money for that stupid multitap for sports gaming! I'd tag team that xbox with a CUBE!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
My trick when waiting for a console to enter its 'golden age' is to always have a backup console on hand for those emergency rainy days.
The Dreamcast is a great, inexpensive system that you can get bundled with accessories and games for well under $100. And even better, everyone (except Morgan)generally agrees the DC is a pretty exceptional console. Consider it an investment for the next four months until the Xbox begins releasing titles more to your liking.
So you get to keep your Xbox, you spent relatively little money, and you still have some great new games to play! Go to
Link Removed to check out what's what.
-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks