What's new

SuperBowl/Rear Projector To Buy/You know the Deal (1 Viewer)

Fastlyf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
New House.

Big Game coming.

Video Games and years of TV watching to follow.

Help me answer questions that a lot of people are going to have. I've been up and down the forums and have not seen it put this simply. The facts as I see it:

1. If you are going for size and moderate price, rear projection in the 60-70 inch range is your option.

2. Most people don't want rainbows (or even the risk of rainbows) if they are paying serious cash. Although they can be convinced to go DLP if rainbows are minimized.

3. Video games will be played.

4. The set has to handle standard def TV pretty well because that's what you are going to watch the majority of the time.

5. Price: $3,000-2,000

My current choices (and current rank):

1. JVC HD-61FN97 (scared of . . . well . . . JVC)

2. Sony KDS-60A2000 (scared of the green blob)

3. Mitsubishi WD-65732 (scared of rainbows)

[Keep in mind that price is a factor in my rankings] What sayeth you? Am I making a mistake with any of these? Any issues regarding connections with an XBox 360? Anyone else going insane like I am trying to decide??????

- Fastlyf

SethH

Senior HTF Member

At the size you're looking at SD may not look all that great. It will be scaled up, but I still wouldn't expect too much of it.

Your three choices are all great sets. I would lean toward the JVC just for the LCoS technology. However, both of the other sets are good too. Have you seen the rainbow effect yet? It doesn't both some people. Plus that DLP is larger than the other two which could make a difference.

There's really no clear answer to your question. I know that one of the calibraters on this forum has said that if you're going for professional calibration then you shouldn't go for LCoS, but I'm not sure what his opinion would be if you're not going to have it professionally done -- BTW, you should at least calibrate using Avia or DVE so you don't damage your set in any way and so you'll get the best picture.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Video games shouldn't be a problem with any of sets listed.

Mitsubishi's DLP TVs are currenly considered to be among the best. Only a small percentage of people see rainbows on the DLP TVs made within the past couple of years, but you should view one in person to be sure.

Like Seth stated, don't expect a great image for SD. It will greatly depend the quality of the source and your viewing distance. The SD PQ from cable can range from fair to good, but my limited experience with satellite is that it varies from poor to fair (likely due to excessive compression).

In reality, 80% of our viewing is HDTV and SD-DVDs, and as more HD channels become available, we'll be watching even less SDTV.

Fastlyf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
Thanks guys. I think I am going with the 60A2000. I went to BB and CC and the monitor just looked better than anything else on the floor.

Little worried about SD but the upside of playing XBox 360 on the Sony is too much to resist. If I am making a bad decision, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Marc

If I was in your shoes, I would go with the 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP...I have seen several DLPs and have never seen any rainbow effect..in fact, I saw a 60 inch Phillips DLP for $1500 in a warehouse type store that was sitting next to the Sony SXRD and they both looked great. The additional impact of a 65 inch screen compared to a 60 inch screen give much more exciting experience...most people end up wishing they had bought the largest screen size their viewing environment and budget allows.

Happy New Year

Users who are viewing this thread