What's new

Convince me to keep my Xbox (1 Viewer)

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
If you can swing it, keep the XBOX and just buy another PS2. Best of both worlds and no regrets later on.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I hate to contribute to the rampant derailing that Morgan's crack about XBL started, but I think I can tie it back to the main subject--the way I see it, XBL is going to be the future of the Xbox. There have been a lot of predictions about the future of all three consoles, with some saying Xbox would be DOA and some saying it would dominate in its first year. The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle, but what can't be argued is that MS faces distinct and very definite disadvantages when going against the other two.
Nintendo has its Nintendites, and as long as they continue to do that crazy Nintendo voodoo that they do, their games and systems will continue to sell.
Sony is the 800-lb gorilla, only in this arena its more like 8,000 lbs. They've sold so many more consoles than the other two combined it's not even funny. They also have a jillion games, and just about every developer itching to develop for them because despite the supposed difficulty of coding for the PS2, 30 million people are tough to argue with.
So how does MS distinguish itself from the pack? Where's the hook? Well, the best-looking and sounding games, for one. But that has proven to be less of a factor than I thought it would. I figured once people actually saw games like Halo and Gotham in motion they wouldn't be able to go back to the GTA3s of the PS2. Okay, I was wrong. Exclusive games are another way to separate themselves, and I think they have done a great job so far with providing exclusive content (with much love from Sega). But again, Nintendo's first-party franchises and some of Sony's exclusives are also great, and the difference between the three isn't enough to carry MS (IMO).
That leaves XBL, and I think that's the reason MS is devoting so much time, effort, and jingle to the cause. That's where they can separate themselves from their competitors. I'm not going to spout the advertising rhetoric; by now you probably all know what XBL has to offer. But in my opinion, that's where MS is going to succeed or fail, ultimately. If console online gaming takes off in a big way, MS has the inside track with XBL. If people stay away in droves, well, that could get ugly.
So to your question, Doug, I would say if games like Halo, Gotham, Fever, and the other MS exclusives have failed to rock your world, you can try to hold out for the other big Xbox titles coming (Brute Force, Splinter Cell, and others already mentioned in this thread), or you can take a close look at XBL. If neither option appeals to you, well, you've already had one offer here at the HTF... :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it was worth a shot. :) Anyway, I'd keep it. You never get a very good deal when you sell your stuff, and as you mentioned, it's nice to have a system on your days off.
Have you thought about getting a used PS2? (I wouldn't normally recommend a used console, but it sounds like it might fit your situation).
-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If console online gaming takes off in a big way, MS has the inside track with XBL
The problem is that it's looking like it won't take off as big as MS hopes. The X-Box fans are going to get it, but not that many people have an X-Box and a BB connection and are willing to put up the monthly fees (after the first year, of course).

And just because MS has XBL doesn't mean that they will have the inside track on online gaming. If online gaming picks up, then Nintendo will jump in with some of it's flagship games online (and probably without fees) which means MS will be fighting an uphill battle against them.

The only way I see XBL being a huge success is if more people get DSL/cable, the console starts selling a lot better worldwide, and MS starts delivering some AMAZING exclusive online-only content. Frankly, I don't see that happening for any console until maybe the next generation.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
A Dreamcast is ALWAYS a wise investment :)
My loyalty is only to Sega, where they go, I go. If they went to ViewMaster Extreme I'd buy one. As it is, XBox is where the good stuff currently lies. There are no Sega titles except Sonic I want to play coming exclusively to other consoles
I can't wait for online broadband Daytona, PSO, and maybe, just maybe a Shenmue MMORPG? (that would be beyond sweet!) Right now I'm just hoping for Shenmue 3 and beyond, 2 had such a great ending I need MORE!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Have you forgotten so quickly how "soul-less" the PS2 was during its first year? It was a joke! The XBOX has far more quality games right now than PS2 did at this juncture. The PS2 has been out for 2 years for God's sake - of course it has more games for it. If you want to pick up a PS2 because you miss the game selection, do it for that reason, but don't slap the XBOX on the way out the door by refering to it as being "soul-less".

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I kinda consider my Xbox an investment. sure, I could have gotten it at 199 much sooner than I expected, but there are going to be some good games soon. Heck, once I get Elderscrolls, I think I'll be far happier with my purchase.

I do think that the Xbox is probably going to be the best online experience of the current consoles, but I'm still not sure if that is going to be the Xbox's 'killer app'. Still I think that if the Xbox is a solid #2 in the console wars, it will be quite a success.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Damn Romier, you beat me to it. Now Morgan, do you honestly think that Nintendo and Sony are going to continue the online thing for free? Do you have any idea the costs of maintaining an online network? There is no way that the $0 thing will last. No money=bad network, Money=good network. Microsoft has the right idea. $50 for the 1st year is a great bargain. If the games and network are good, people will continue to pay the $10 a month or whatever it will be. If it sucks, then people won't pay and Microsoft could be in a bit of doo-doo with the X-box. I personally think it will be successful. I am also not worried about the Everquest type games charging more $ because I don't play those types of games. So that doesn't phase me. However, I'll be happy to pay $10 a month to play Football, Hockey, Golf, Halo, and any other great online games.

-Dean-

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
And just because MS has XBL doesn't mean that they will have the inside track on online gaming.
Once again, you lack evidence and your completely wrong... MS has published numerous online games on the PC. Motorcross Madness 1 & 2, Midtown Madness, Flight Simulator 2002, Combat Flight Simulator, Train Simulator, etc... And they use the ZONE for match making.
www.zone.com
Call me crazy, but I think they have some expeirence. And the fact that they are using Sega's technology as well. I've played many games of NFL2K1 & 2K2 online with dial-up, and had some great connections. Not to mention NBA2K1 and Ogga Booga.
Morgan, do yourself a favor, when you grow up and decide what you want to do, stay away from law school.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
It's funny, Xbox detractors often beat the "pretty graphics at the expense of gameplay" drum, but sucky games are hardly exclusive to the 'box. Every system has lousy games, and always will. The difference with the Xbox is, even the crummy games at least look nice. :D

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Actually, visually they aren't the worst-looking games on the market. It's only after you pick up a controller that you realize the tremendous suckitude of both titles. But they are stinkers, no doubt about it...I was referring more to the Wrecklesses of the world.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, I'm a bit dissapointed myself, mainly that I spent $300 on it and 2mos later they lowered the price by $100.

I only own Halo and the X-Mag demo discs. Really, the only game I'm looking forward too right now is Shenmue2. Their online plans seem interesting but it looks like it's going to be a big money sucking hole. We'll see.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I love my 'box. Keep yours. Seriously, I got a PS2 at launch, and was pretty happy with that (and am still happy with it)... but then I saw Halo. Still I was able to hold off on the Xbox until the small controller came out and the price drop hit. Then there was no longer any reason for me not to get one.

For me it was a good decision, I've found enough games to enjoy on it that since I got it my PS2 and Dreamcast don't get played very much.

Kevin is right, last year at this time the PS2 had a lineup that couldn't compare with the Xbox's current lineup. Twisted Metal: Black had just been released and was the best game on the system. Actually, GT3 was somewhere around now too.

I guess basically what I'm saying is if you're not entirely happy with the current lineup of Xbox games, just wait a bit, there will be something for everyone soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks