Confused about digital speakers ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy Garner, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Roy Garner

Roy Garner Auditioning

Hi to all [​IMG]

I'm a little confused about digital speakers, whats the difference between digital speakers & analog speakers ? Are digital speakers 100% digital including the drivers or do they convert to analog somewhere in the circuit ?

Thanks

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

never really heard of "Digital" speakers aside from companys referring to a speaker as digital meaning it can supposedly handle the majority of frequency encoded on a CD. But other than that you would have always translate back to analog for a speaker at some point, Sound is Naturally Analog not digital.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

There is really no such thing as a digital speaker. Humans can only hear analog sound waves, so the speaker has physcially has to be analog. I guess it could input a digital signal and convert it. Sending 1s and 0s into the air would be pointless. It is probably just a play on words.

4. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

@ roy,

there are a very few companys in the world which manufacture digital speakers indeed. for example *Meridian* does it, as well as *T&A*, a well known and highly praised german high-end manufacturer in europe as well as *Klein&Hummel*, also a german manufacturer for active studio monitors.

a digital speakers contains all those things inside which you would find otherwise in (pre)amps/receivers, namely poweramps, dac's and adc's, ect. the purpose of a digital speaker is to deliver sonic prefomance which just cannot be done in the analog domain. for example: with a digital speaker can be a crossover achieved of about 300 db/octave.

the full potential of a digital speaker can only be reached of course with a full digital preamp/surround decoder. unfortunally only Meridian offers such devices at present, to my knowledge. but also with an analog preamp7surround decoder you will have fantastic possibilities altough you will have a lot more a/d D/a convertings.

regards, holger

5. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

Unless its Meridian or some other really high end brand, chances are if you see "digital speakers" labeled anywhere on the speaker or packaging, its one of those no-name brands that dont know what theyre talking about (ie. white van brands).

6. Roy Garner

Roy Garner Auditioning

Thanks to all for reply.
    When I would see digital speaker systems say things like "maintaining a complete digital path from the source to ear"I said what the heck....

Lots of info at this wonderful site [​IMG]

Thanks