What's new

Concert Blu-rays (rock and pop) you recommend (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Great news for concert/opera fans, The Original Three Tenors Concert 1990 is to be released on blu ray in September.
My favourite part of this great disc is Placido Domingo singing the operetta classic Dein Ist Mein Ganzes Herz just as well as the great Fritz Wunderlich and even almost as well as the sublime Richard Tauber! His performance in The Three Tenors is so good it inspired to to go seek out just a month ago a Domingo EMI Cd from 1986 entitled 'Wien Du Stadt meiner Traume (Vienna City of my Dreams) even though I had stopped buying CDs more than 5 years ago, replacing them with HD audio, both
SACD and my own 24-96 audio files.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Another laserdisc concert I have is Laura Branigan live in Lake Tahoe NV ( I think).
It was filmed on Betamax originally so no HD will ever be, unfortunately. She had such a beautiful and powerful voice, gone way too young.

Sad that so many great concerts languish in SD instead of finding their way to disc or better yet HD.
Love her - what a voice....and watched that show a lot....another fan in Peru mastered from Laserdisc to DVD, years ago, for me....thankful. A few people cried when I showed them her singing HAISTLWY.
00f8332987e628fda8ea78846177a3b0.png

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Sparks Brothers blu ray, directed by Edgar Wright, includes a 2018 concert with the band shot with the by Wright at the O2 Forum Kentish Town. It's a great extra.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
On Blu-ray, I have:

Talking Heads : Stop Making Sense
Elvis: That’s the Way It Is
Roy Orbison : Black & White Night 30

On DVD:

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over (dts audio version)
Elvis : Aloha from Hawaii
Elvis on Tour
Eric Clapton : Unplugged
Nirvana : Unplugged in New York

They’re not concert films, but I also have Beastie Boys Video Anthology and ZZ Top Greatest Hits music video DVDs.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Eric Clapton has a new concert recording The Lady in the Balcony, mainly an acoustic set recorded under lockdown. Interestingly, it is also released on 4k, and I am hoping to receive this from Santa. Once again he doesn't play Let it Grow, an enduring mystery considering it is one of his best songs (perhaps it has unhappy memories). Same with Gary Moore, he never played One Day live.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Received Eric Clapton The Lady in the Balcony for Christmas. Exemplary acoustic 'concert' by Eric and his close associates. One of very few music 4k discs, highly recommended.

Also received Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival (2019). This is a bit of a mixed bag but worth getting if you like a couple of the artists. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is a nice collaboration between Clapton and Frampton (fine guitarist). I think this recording shows that although there are many excellent guitar players, what separates say Clapton from some of the others is that he is a very fine songwriter as well, and that the songs he wrote earlier in his career have given him such longevity. Wish he would perform 'Let it Grow' live though, however nice to see an electric version of Layla as he usually performs this acoustically now.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bruce Springsteen's Legendary No Nukes Concerts is scheduled for release next month, with HD upgrades to the films. It looks stunning; I can't wait for this.

I received this for Christmas. The performance and audio quality are stellar. The concert was filmed in 16mm with a limited number of cameras, so there is only so much that can be done regarding video quality. I highly recommend this for any Springsteen fan.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike, it doesn't state 4k so I assume not. Obviously mine was ordered from amazon.co.uk

Thanks very much, Keith. Just placed my order. Pricey. It's coming from a third-party seller in Germany. But at least they'd deliver to the US.

The listing doesn't say Atmos, but one of the reviews does, Can you confirm? Again, thanks for the info.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just watched the police verifiable again. Love it.

Also u2 at red rocks on dvd. Great shows.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Pink Floyd's concert P.U.L.S.E is to be released on blu ray next month. As it was filmed on tape, I shall wait for reviews before ordering. Really hope it's good as the set list includes the whole of Dark Side, which I would have liked Dave Gilmour to have performed on his return to Pompeii (hope Live in Pompeii 2017 is released on 4k as it is such a spectacular show in an iconic setting).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keith:

I cannot thank you enough. I ordered on/about January 1. It arrived on February 8. It took a while to get here from Germany...but, oh-so-worth-it.

Wow. You were right. One of the best-sounding discs I have probably ever heard. Beautifully recorded (both audio and video). Too bad this isn't readily available in the US. And I'm not even the biggest Clapton fan. But this is great, classic blues/rock and sounds so good.

God, I wish more artists would make recordings like this.

714a3p0LJHL._SL1500_.jpg

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm glad you liked it, Mike. Hopefully, it will encourage other artists to release their work in 4k. I've come to appreciate Clapton more as he (and I) has got older. The Lady in the Balcony performance is so intimate, it feels like he is playing just for you.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, several months ago, I saw that Paul McCartney’s Get Back (1991) was being reissued on Blu-ray, with a release date of Aug. 26. Now, I never saw this film, but it is drawn from his 1989-1990 tour, which I did see (and love). So, I ordered it from Amazon. The release date came and went, and Amazon sent an email saying it would be delayed until mid-September. But mid-September comes and it’s delayed again, this time to Oct. 4. Then Oct. 4 comes and it’s delayed again, this time with no estimated release date. I did some looking and found a seller on eBay offering brand new copies for $10 cheaper than Amazon. I ordered it, canceled the Amazon order, and it arrived two days later. Also, the disc listing said it was region free, but I get the disc in the mail and it says Region B, but no worries, because I pop it in, and it is indeed region free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks