What's new

Concert Blu-rays (rock and pop) you recommend (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have too many to list. But of course the list is headed by Roy Orbison's 'Black and White Night'. And I unreservedly recommend Neil Young's 'Heart of Gold', a moving summation of his career, tinged by his intimation of mortality .. .he had just has a brain aneurism and this concert was recorded soon before he had to have a life-threatening operation.
And although this is not pop or rock, for one of the greatest jazz performances ever caught on film, it's worth seeking out the Blu ray 'Billie Holiday -- The Voice of Jazz'. Picture quality is not great but when watching it, who cares -- we're totally subsumed by her grace and artistry.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have too many to list. But of course the list is headed by Roy Orbison's 'Black and White Night'. And I unreservedly recommend Neil Young's 'Heart of Gold', a moving summation of his career, tinged by his intimation of mortality .. .he had just has a brain aneurism and this concert was recorded soon before he had to have a life-threatening operation.

Speaking of Neil Young, his concert film RUST NEVER SLEEPS is available looking and sounding great on bluray. Not sure if it was mentioned earlier or not.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry, yes, The Sound of Jazz. Artists include Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Buck Clayton, Jerry Mulligan and Miles Davis and the wonderful Basie drummer Jo Jones who my elder sister always fondly remembered .. she knew him 'very well'.....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The two biggest titles I hear over and over again in reviews:

The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over
Adele: Live At The Royal Albert Hall

One of my personal favorites:

Chris Botti: Live

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
George Michael - Live in London

I can vouch for this one. Also owned it on DVD for many years before getting the BR. Well worth the upgrade.

I was also fortunate enough to see him live in 2012. I've loved his music since I was a teenager and own everything he did (including Wham!). It really hit me hard when he died. I pretty much spent the whole day playing December Song over and over again.

I have Stop Making Sense on DVD and CD. I'm a big fan of Talking Heads as well and highly recommend this concert to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
One concert which might look spectacular on bluray with a decent restoration, would be an Iron Maiden concert in 1984 at Long Beach (in California). This was released on vhs back in the day, which looked like it might have been shot on 16mm film.
Was this Live After Death?

I hope we’ll see an upgraded to BluRay
Pink Floyd: Pulse. The DVD is non-anamorphic.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
During the pandemic, we have reserved almost every Saturday afternoon for concert viewing.
Particularly, since we have no idea when we will be able to really go and enjoy a concert again. (We cashed in our James Taylor/Jackson Browne tickets when their show got moved to next year.)

I purchased these myself, but my Wife has thoroughly enjoyed each one so far. We watched each from start to finish, and rarely even skipped a tune.

"Phil Collins: Live at Montreux 2004"
"Mumford & Sons Live From South Africa: Dust and Thunder" (Atmos)
"Slash featuring Myles Kennedy Live: Made in Stoke" (imported)
"Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague" (Atmos)
"The Allman Brothers Band: Live at the Beacon Theatre" (DVD only)
"Santana IV Live at the House of Blues Las Vegas"
"Heart: Alive in Seattle"
"AC/DC: Live at River Plate"
"The Police: Certifiable"
"The Doobie Brothers: Live From the Beacon Theatre"
"Santana: Greatest Hits Live at Montreux 2011"

I would say our absolute favorite at this point, (so much so, we wished we had gone to the show when it was here), is Hans Zimmer.
That disc has something for everyone, and the sound and camera work are astounding.

We have plenty more discs to keep us going for a while. Some we have watched only snippets of.
We have everything from Adele to Eagles to Neil Diamond to Blue Man Group.
Our plan is to watch the complete concerts.

I have found you cannot go wrong with Rush or AC/DC. Sound mixes and camera work vary.
The latest from Toto, "40 Tours Around the Sun" is excellent.

I hope to have the imported "INXS: Live Baby Live" 4k by the end of the week.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Was this Live After Death?

Yeah. The first time I saw the vhs version, initially I thought it was the wrong video tape when the footage quality looked like a "movie" and not the typical "live" videotape I was accustomed to seeing in those days. Nowadays I would guess this live after death concert might be 16mm film footage, and not ntsc or pal videotape.

The earlier live footage with dianno wasn't so obvious as to how it was shot. Though if I had to guess, it looked more like typical "live" footage which suggests it might be videotape in 50 fps interlaced pal.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And although this is not pop or rock, for one of the greatest jazz performances ever caught on film, it's worth seeking out the Blu ray 'Billie Holiday -- The Voice of Jazz'. Picture quality is not great but when watching it, who cares -- we're totally subsumed by her grace and artistry.
she's on the Sound of jazz
Sorry, yes, The Sound of Jazz. Artists include Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Buck Clayton, Jerry Mulligan and Miles Davis and the wonderful Basie drummer Jo Jones who my elder sister always fondly remembered .. she knew him 'very well'.....
I couldn’t find a blu ray for this one? At least not on Amazon.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just ran across this Manhattan Transfer and Take 6 Concert:

I’m wondering if this is before or after the death of one of the male Transfers? Anyone heard this one?

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I just ran across this Manhattan Transfer and Take 6 Concert:

I’m wondering if this is before or after the death of one of the male Transfers? Anyone heard this one?

Founding member of the Manhattan Transfer, Tim Hauser, died in 2014. His picture is not on the front or back picture of this concert.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
: ---
I couldn’t find a blu ray for this one? At least not on Amazon.
Here's the link

Sadly, it says currently unavailable.
But while on the subject of jazz, everyone who loves live performances must seek out one of the greatest concert movies ever made, 'Jazz on a Summer's Day' from the Newport Jazz Festival of 1958. It's not on Blu ray yet but the DVD is virtual Blu ray quality, such is quality of the cinematography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks