Concert Blu-rays (rock and pop) you recommend

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
In case people are interested, Pink Floyd The Delicate Sound Of Thunder is getting a new expanded release in November. I pre-ordered it from Amazon. Not familiar with this concert- never saw the original video, or heard the CD.
I remember the original VHS of it and liking it. Apparantly this recut does a better job of showing the band and I think replicates the actual concert better. It was exclusive to the Later Years boxset, reviews of that set may shed some light.

I'd add to the indispensable performances the Blu ray of 'The Who Live at Kilburn', a 1977 especially staged performance to get live footage for the documentary 'The Kids are Alright', and with the very last footage filmed of drummer Keith Moon.
This is an especially choice disc because it also features as an extra feature an unbelievably wonderful historic 16mm film record of their 1969 gig at London's Coliseum, which included huge swathes of music from their newly-recorded 'Tommy'.
This is an extraordinary record of The Who' at their absolute best ... and is especially precious as my wife and I had premium hand-chosen seats at the concert ... choosing just to the right of stage centre, about 10 rows back, right in front of Pete Townsend. Those were the days ...... the pic I use as my id here was taken the same year!
I forgot about this one but yeah, I love it. I'm sure the Isle Of Wight disc was already mentioned. Arguably their greatest performance and Moon is in fine form.

I have Neil Young's RETURN TO GREENDALE on order, there's a fancy edition with a bluray of the concert with actors playing the parts of the characters. I don't know. Honestly, it sounds kind a bad (the youtube video is kind of ridiculous), it's expensive, and Greendale isn't my favourite Neil Young project but I'm such a mark I'm going for it.

Nearly bit on the LOU REED NEW YORK 40th to get that disc of the New York album live but held off. I love the record, but not as much as I love Neil Young's weird concept album I barely listen too apparently. Hoping it gets a break out release at some point or I can find the set dirt cheap.

MattWat

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Watson
HD concerts are something out of this world... Has anyone attended it recently?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
So far as updating this thread, I recently watched the BD of Roger Waters ‘Us + Them’. The disc is lovely for picture and sound. As a concert, it’s quite good, and technically excellent, as we’ve come to expect from Waters. The set list is very adequate, but I do miss the inclusion of early Floyd material that was the highlight (for me) of his previous tours. In that regard, as well as the overall performance, I still prefer the disc from his ‘In the Flesh’ tour. Sadly, that has yet to be released on BD.

Reactions: Keith Cobby

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian Wilson and Friends. Check my post from the "What are you listening to now" thread last night.

Reactions: Osato

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Recently picked up Depeche Mode's "Spirits in the Forest" set, which includes a documentary, concert film and 2 disc DVD soundtrack of the concert, which was the end of the European leg of the Global Spirit tour. I saw the last North American performance at Rogers Centre in Fall 2017, and this concert is well captured with great sound. Dave Gahan's voice was a bit raw at the beginning, but he gets about 6 or 7 songs in, takes a sip of water and gets progressively better. Recommended for fans and non-fans.

MattWat

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Watson
Music can be the best cure for your heart. Such concerts are a true delight for your ears and even your soul. As for me, Mylene Farmer is the best in this genre of music. What can you say, have I specified a genre she is playing correctly? Of course, there are as many tastes as people on Earth. But you are welcome to have your own thoughts and no one https://www.truesoundhire.co.uk/ can blame you for that! And what about you, are you a fan of her art as well? Or do you have another preferences?

Reactions: Flashgear

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
So far as updating this thread, I recently watched the BD of Roger Waters ‘Us + Them’. The disc is lovely for picture and sound. As a concert, it’s quite good, and technically excellent, as we’ve come to expect from Waters. The set list is very adequate, but I do miss the inclusion of early Floyd material that was the highlight (for me) of his previous tours. In that regard, as well as the overall performance, I still prefer the disc from his ‘In the Flesh’ tour. Sadly, that has yet to be released on BD.
I watched this over the weekend. Technically very good but i wish Roger would leave the politics and social commentary to the songs. Pink Floyd fans seem to polarise between him and Dave Gilmour as to who mostly reflects the old band. Personally i prefer Gilmour's interpretations, and these are no better shown than in his Live at Pompeii blu ray. He has a superb band backing him and the circular light show is reminiscent of PF shows of old. Both Waters and Gilmour's solo work is very weak compared to their PF collaboration. I wish they would bury the hatchet and do a final PF tour (with Nick Mason) at some iconic locations (like Pompeii).

A plus for Roger's blu ray is that he plays more PF than Gilmour but a negative is the truly awful packaging.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
No one has mentioned Fleetwood Mac, “The Dance” which is truly excellent and unfortunately DVD only. I really hope for a Blu Ray release of that and The Eagles Hell Freezes Over, which is also DVD only.
I can't understand why Fleetwood Mac haven't released a blu ray (or 4k). Their recent tour with Neil Finn would have been a good opportunity.

Reactions: Hollywoodaholic

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
No one has mentioned Fleetwood Mac, “The Dance” which is truly excellent and unfortunately DVD only. I really hope for a Blu Ray release of that and The Eagles Hell Freezes Over, which is also DVD only.
Exactly, and that was the basic spirit for starting this thread. DVD offered some great concert titles, and I assumed that BD would be the perfect format for taking that great start and building upon it. Maybe part of the problem was the sloppy and troublesome format war, which pretty much hampered physical media in general. If there hadn’t been a format war, I think physical media as a whole would be much better off today.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I watched this over the weekend. Technically very good but i wish Roger would leave the politics and social commentary to the songs.
Yeah, I was tempted to add that comment to mine earlier, but decided to leave it out. This concert is especially heavy in that regard. His ‘In the Flesh’ tour had a lighter touch, and it made for a better concert, and disc.

And speaking of David Gilmour, his mostly acoustic concert disc from 2002 was fantastic. Another DVD that has failed to have a BD release.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
For those, like me, who are a fan of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festivals, the BD of the 2019 concert is now out. My copy arrived last week, and I have watched both discs in the set now. There are returning guests from previous festivals, such as Robert Cray, John Mayer, Jimmy Vaughn, Buddy Guy, Vince Gill, etc., as well as some new guests -- Peter Frampton, Bonnie Raitt, etc. Audio and video quality are stellar.

My favorite moment was Frampton and Clapton playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps together. You could see that Frampton was absolutely thrilled to be on stage with Clapton.

Reactions: Keith Cobby

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Watched ROGER WATERS: THE WALL blu (from 2014 I think) and absolutely loved it. I typically don't like concert films that are interrupted by documentary elements, but this one really hit me hard. It takes a monolithic concept album and tour, and personalizes it to the story of a man finally coming to terms with his history. Just a wonderful experience and the the whole concert is featured, just contextualized.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
For those, like me, who are a fan of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festivals, the BD of the 2019 concert is now out. My copy arrived last week, and I have watched both discs in the set now. There are returning guests from previous festivals, such as Robert Cray, John Mayer, Jimmy Vaughn, Buddy Guy, Vince Gill, etc., as well as some new guests -- Peter Frampton, Bonnie Raitt, etc. Audio and video quality are stellar.

My favorite moment was Frampton and Clapton playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps together. You could see that Frampton was absolutely thrilled to be on stage with Clapton.
I have been considering getting this. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the finest tracks ever. Frampton plays it on FCA 35 and there is a superb version on the Concert for George tribute. I don't know why Clapton doesn't play it at his shows as he played on the original.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Since the passing of Eddie Van Halen, I’ve been checking out various performances on YouTube and wondering why we don’t have any Van Halen concerts on Blu-ray.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Since the passing of Eddie Van Halen, I’ve been checking out various performances on YouTube and wondering why we don’t have any Van Halen concerts on Blu-ray.
Eddie Trunk had an interview with Wolfgang recently, and Wolfie said he’ll be looking into Eddie’s stockpile of unreleased stuff sometime in the future, so maybe there’s a video in there that will be released at some point.

Reactions: DavidJ

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybernz