Concert Blu-rays (rock and pop) you recommend

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I love the police Certifiable on blu ray.

I’ve had a few Rolling Stones sets. The Paris show from live licks dvd set is a favorite.

U2’s Go Home from Slane Castle is a good one too.

also for U2 I really love the live at red rocks concert. I just finally bought it on dvd. I had the vhs for years. Anyway the dvd contains extra songs that were not included in the vhs release. It’s kindof a cool story as the film of the whole show sat around in Colorado for years until U2 finally did the expanded release on dvd.

I have several other U2 concerts as well.

great thread. I’m enjoying reading others posts too.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I have very little to no interest in modern concerts filmed in recent years. Apparently too many aging rockstars look like a shadow of their former selves by the time 1080p video was easily available (whether 24/25 progressive frames per second or 60 interlaced frames per second). Too dreadful and embarassing to look at. Completely cringeworthy and sad to watch.

With that being said, I mainly look for older classic concerts during a band's/performer's prime era which appear they might have been filmed on 16mm film or better. These might look respectable on bluray but unfortunately I don't have too many: an old AC/DC concert and a Doors concert at the hollywood bowl.
You might want to think about "Moody Blues: Threshold of a Dream - Live at the Isle of Wight Festival" from 1970. Always enjoyed the Moody Blues growing up. Had a chance to see some of there later concerts live, but never when they were in their prime or when Pinder was still around. Seeing this on blu-ray was a real treat for me.

Good thread. Mine are:

The Moody Blues Lovely to see you
The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed
Justin Hayward Live at the Buckhead Theatre
Same goes since you already have some Moody Blues in your list.

Reactions: Osato

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Is that Moody Blues performance at the Isle Of Wight their whole set? I have that laserdisc of that festival, and there’s only 1 song from them.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I have several concerts on DVD and Blu-ray and laserdisc. My favorites include Police Certifiable, I have the DVD but will probably upgrade to the Blu-ray as some point.

I think the Eagles Live in Australia may be my favorite. Besides watching masters at their work the PQ and audio are outstanding.

a-ha Ending on a High Note - The Final Concert, which obviously wasn’t their final concert, is another favorite with PQ and audio being great.

Elvis Aloha from Hawaii is a favorite. Even though it was recorded on videotape and thus we can never have an HD version of it, still a favorite.

I have an Air Supply concert from Hawaii on laserdisc. Great concert, I’d buy a DVD or BD in a second.

Another laserdisc concert I have is Laura Branigan live in Lake Tahoe NV ( I think).
It was filmed on Betamax originally so no HD will ever be, unfortunately. She had such a beautiful and powerful voice, gone way too young.

Yet another laserdisc concert is Tears for Fears from around 1990. Great show.

I also have a few left from VHS that never made it to DVD. A Kansas concert from 1982 is a favorite.

I have several others which I watch from time to time. Several more still not watched.

Sad that so many great concerts languish in SD instead of finding their way to disc or better yet HD.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Is that Moody Blues performance at the Isle Of Wight their whole set? I have that laserdisc of that festival, and there’s only 1 song from them.
Based on your comment, I had to look it up. The disc contains 10 songs performed. Apparently, the Moody Blues did 14 songs. The video is lost on the others, but they tried to blend those in during other aspects of showing what was going on during the concert. Even if the video and audio quality can't compete with their later concerts, it is still a treat to see something of them from that time period, and probably the only way to see Michael Pinder.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Keith Cobby

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have several concerts on DVD and Blu-ray and laserdisc. My favorites include Police Certifiable, I have the DVD but will probably upgrade to the Blu-ray as some point.

I think the Eagles Live in Australia may be my favorite. Besides watching masters at their work the PQ and audio are outstanding.

a-ha Ending on a High Note - The Final Concert, which obviously wasn’t their final concert, is another favorite with PQ and audio being great.

Elvis Aloha from Hawaii is a favorite. Even though it was recorded on videotape and thus we can never have an HD version of it, still a favorite.

I have an Air Supply concert from Hawaii on laserdisc. Great concert, I’d buy a DVD or BD in a second.

Another laserdisc concert I have is Laura Branigan live in Lake Tahoe NV ( I think).
It was filmed on Betamax originally so no HD will ever be, unfortunately. She had such a beautiful and powerful voice, gone way too young.

I also have a few left from VHS that never made it to DVD. A Kansas concert from 1982 is a favorite.

I have several others which I watch from time to time. Several more still not watched.

Sad that so many great concerts languish in SD instead of finding their way to disc or better yet HD.
I missed a-ha off my original list. I like the Ending concert but prefer the Unplugged Summer Solstice blu ray.

Reactions: Jasper70

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member

The police certifiable Blu Ray is out of print I believe.

it’s a shame that there hasn’t been a Van Halen release with the original lineup. I know that warner brothers filmed several of their concerts in each tour.

Van Halen isn’t the most open band in terms of releases though.

I haven’t seen live without a net in years. Maybe I should pick up a copy.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
We watched the 4k Atmos disc of "INXS Live Baby Live" on Saturday, celebrating Independence Day with an Australian band in the UK.
I had ordered from Amazon UK. It shipped on June the 30th from Germany, and we received it Friday, July the 3rd - unbelievable.
This is a really good disc, both audio and video, considering the age and the source. We will definitely watch it again, soon.

Reactions: Jasper70 and Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoxyBaxy