What's new

Concerning "official discussion" threads (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
No problem with official review thread because you only hear from people who have seen the movie but discussion thread is a different matter. Take the Episode II discussion thread as an example, the movie hasn't been released yet and there's over 80 pages. Once I and other people have seen the movie, we would have to find the page after the movie has started so that you're not reading all the speculation, prediction, ect.

I find this a problem with many of the official discussion thread. Today when I wanted to read discussion about the resident evil movie but have to go through pages of them about whether this movie will bomb, ect, all the things that are more of predictions/hype than real discussion about the movie. You just don't know where the hype ends and when the real discussion begin.

Any thoughts of making two official threads: one before the movie and one after the movie started.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I agree, more or less. I'm a fan of the Star Wars films, but never go into the one and only Star Wars thread because it's just too massive. The other day I had a question about Star Wars and was thinking about posting in the movies forum, but then remembered there's only one thread, where my post would more than likely get lost.

I do read the Horror/Gore thread only because I've been able to keep up with it since it started. But, even there, other threads about horror and gore films are allowed. Max posted about Cemetary Man outside that thread and it didn't get closed (rightfully so in my opinion.)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Luc, my man! I've been afraid to mention this, because it has been brought up before but...

At the least AOTC should have it's own section. Before anybody screams, I feel that this does go back to the recent changes on the HTF as a whole. The hardware section was broken up specifically because when you got back to see your answer, you question was already buried on page 2.

Diving in to page 80 right now is useless. To the uninformed, you'd have no what idea what they are discussing. If you go back a few pages, it isn't any better.

I did want to jump in, but feel that it is so 'into itself' that I'd feel out of place. I think that if I asked anything NOT relating to 'Harry' I'd never get an answer.

Any others?

Glenn

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Well you guys are bringing up related points but the solution to that is much more difficult than what I suggested for the problem I brought up.

But to go along with what you guys are saying, sometimes it gets hilarious. I'm a big lord of the rings fan so I did in fact read every single page. The funny thing is, things are repeated several times without anyone noticing it. So you get the same questions and same answers. I asked some questions there that I was dying to know the anwer to but like you guys said, they get buried in no time and no one really go back and read previous pages. To this day, I still don't have the answers to the questions.

As for AOTC thread, it would be difficult to post anything that hasn't already been brought up. But does it matter since no one will notice that it was brought up, say 53 pages ago. So it goes on and on and on. Nevertheless, I like to jump in for the real discussion after the movie is released and people have seen it, but what page should I start checking? Page 210? 243? 262?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is more than just the Official Discussion thread for Episode 2 but for all the Star Wars films. In May, the thread will be closed, once the release date is near and in it's place will be an Official Discussion thread for Episode 2 as well as an Official Discussion thread for the rest of the Star Wars films. Furthermore, there will be an Official Review thread for Episode 2.
I've recognized that this thread layout will not be acceptable to many Star Wars fans but to keep the Movies area from being overrun with various Star Wars threads, this is the best alternative in keeping the area organized for all members to read without scrolling through numerous Star Wars threads.
In closing, I seriously doubt that Star Wars will have it's own area for Star Wars fans to feast in posting several and sometimes duplicate threads until their hearts are content.
Crawdaddy

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Along the same lines as Crawdaddy:

We have a choice between inconveniencing the Star Wars fans for the sake of everyone else, or inconveniencing everyone else for the sake of the Star Wars fans. Guess who wins?

As for other discussion threads, the vast majority of them have limited traffic before release. Resident Evil was one of the few exceptions. I think we're talking about a relatively small group of official discussion threads, each involving a film that, for one reason or another, has generated massive amounts of posting. No matter how you handle it, people will double-post, cross-post, post without reading what others have to say, and generally get carried away by their enthusiasm. Having it all in one thread makes it more manageable; having it spread among many threads wouldn't make it any easier to navigate.

M.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
We have a choice between inconveniencing the Star Wars fans for the sake of everyone else, or inconveniencing everyone else for the sake of the Star Wars fans. Guess who wins?
When you put it that way, it does make sense. I guess neither option is going to be the best for everyone, but the option in place does seem to be the best for the general HTF population. Thanks for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks