X-box questions before I buy today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Hi -

After reading the six page thread concerning X-box, I'm convinced and am going to buy one today. However, I have a couple questions that weren't specifically addressed in the long "official" discussion:

My Toshiba 55" TV isn't a HDTV, but it does have component inputs. Am I gaining anything by hooking the X-box up via component over s-video to my receiver (that has s-video switching)?

How much of your own audio can you store on the x-box hard drive?

The x-box has an internal modem, right? I have cable internet and want to use that instead of a slow modem?

Is toslink the only digital audio output or do they offer a coax one?

thanks

2. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

Jake,

If your TV only displays 480i then the difference between SVideo and Component may be subtle...better color saturation and such. It won't be a major difference as would be going from 480i to 480p.

Th XBox doesn't come with a modem, but does have a Ethernet port.

The only digital output I've seen on any of the AV-packs is optical (Toslink) although there are third party toslink-coax converter boxes avaialable.

Don't know about how much audio you can store, but it comes with either an 8 or 10GB drive.

Hope this helps.

Bill

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The hard drive is described in "blocks". Right away, it lists, +50,000 blocks available. I have used 9000 for 3 albums, and it still lists +50,000 available.

If your set can display 480p, go component. It'll make a huge difference.

-Dave

4. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

The X box has 8 gigs total, but I think 2 gigs are allocated for songs. Also, songs are ripped into WMA format.

5. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

How do I know if my TV can support 480p or 480i? Can someone explain this?

6. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

One way to tell if youre TV has 480P support is if it has Component Video or VGA inputs.

7. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

It has component inputs. So, does that mean it can do 480p?

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    You have to have an HDTV ready set to make use of 480p, otherwise you will only get 480i from your componet video inputs.

9. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

You don't have to have an HD ready set to do 480p. It simply has to be digital. There are several 4:3 digital sets on the market that are digital only - 480p. Look in your manual and see. You could possibley look up your model online and see there. Component is simply another better way of passing video - it does not mean digital in and of itself.

C. Ryan

10. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

jake,

regarding music storage on the HD, someone out there was curious to see how much space the xbox hd really had since it just reports a very vague "50,000+" blocks available. So the dude copied a lengthy audio cd onto the HD and then proceeded to duplicate it over and over and over again until the HD filled.... in the end, it came out to something like 300,000+ blocks....I have the exact number in another thread somewhere, but the number itself isn't very important...it's the fact that you've PLENTY of space for your own music.

(in general, I've found that a 4 to 5 minute track typically comes in at around 100 to 115 blocks or so)

11. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Thanks, went with s-video and toslink (the advanced AV pack). My damn Sony str db930 receiver only has three toslink inputs (dish, dvd, and md) and I'm using dish and dvd. So when I want to play xbox I have to unhook the dvd player. Oh well, I'm still happy with the XBOX.