What's new
World Wide Stereo

Computer Sound over HDMI Question (1 Viewer)

LandOfUnland

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn
Hello,

Currently my computer video card is DVI out – and I am using an HDMI adapter to connect to into the TV. I will be replacing my video card with one that does HDMI out, but that begs the following question…

Do HDMI based video cards have an audio chipset built into them - and I will then remove my existing sound card from my computer? Or do they have a jack where I would connect a wire from my current sound card, thereby sending the audio signal over the HDMI? See what I’m getting at?

How is this done?

Thanks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Glenn:

Welcome to the forum!

We'll see what kind of answers you get here (in the Beginner's/General Questions forum).

If you don't get some help soon, I'll move this thread over to the Computer Forum.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I don't know if things have changed lately with video cards but they normally don't do audio ... that is handled by the puter's audio card. I have a similar setup - DVI to HDMI adapter to my projector and audio from the audio jack to my surround receiver. It works well for me in that configuration. You may want to check the features of your potential video card to determine its capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks