What's new

Can receivers do this....? (1 Viewer)

dgrams2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Okay, I want to do the following...

Use a receiver for the primary input/passthru of HDMI devices. (3D BluRay, XBox, Media Player, Cable DVR)
The output from that HDMI will be running to my projector.

Now...
I am planning to create a computer/touchscreen style jukebox where the audio from the PC will be passed into a wall jack and I want to run that as well over to the same receiver.

My question is: with the inputs on the receiver... would I be able to play the audio from the PC, while passing through video image to the projector through HDMI? (not needing sound necessarily.. just picture) So we can have like a basketball game showing on the projector while jamming to some classic rock elsewhere in the room....

Possible?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as the AVR has dedicated audio only inputs.The only AVR I can think of that can't do this is the Denon 1312. If you look at it, all its inputs are(pretty much) only video.So yeah, every AVR can do that when it has enough inputs.

dgrams2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I guess with my logic, I think of using 'HDMI1' (lets say... cable dvr) and I think of all video/audio getting pumped through the receiver... and have a hard time understanding how audio from another source using RCA inputs (ipod, phone, separate CD player, etc...) would be able to play as long as the HDMI1 input is being used.
Someone was telling me how a 7.1 receiver works and that you can take the extra side speakers from the 7.1 setup... and technically move those outside to your patio or different location, and have a different audio source playing on those, while still watching your movie in 5.1... Is he full of crap or do they really work this way?
If so.. I'm guessing the Sub woofer would just play along with your 5.1 surround, and the two extra speakers that are out on your deck, would not be able to use a bass.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again, I'll repeat...If your AVR has DEDICATED audio inputs(AM/FM and front USB won't count)...Choose your video source(HDMI here is absolutely IRRELEVANT)...Then choose your audio. Since your audio source is DEDICATED audio only, it won't change the video source.Period.Next subject.The ability to do audio separate from the 5.1(or 7.1) is called Multi-Zone. Every AVR over $350 has some sort if Multi-Zone.Spend enough, you'll even have Multi-Zone HD video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks