What's new
World Wide Stereo

Composite Video is Dark (1 Viewer)

BradPrid

Auditioning
Hello all...

I have a Zenith 27in TV with composite video. I have a Philips 642 DVD player hooked up with the composite. I find dark scenes don't show the details. If I use regular analog, I can see details in dark areas, whereas composite is just black. I've played with brightness and contrast on both units and can't find an improvement. Neither has blackness control. Regular analog is far inferior to composite when comparing picture so I rather find a way to work with composite...its amazing he difference actually.

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BradPrid

Auditioning
Sorry, I meant component. :b

DVD player is connected to TV via component video. Not sure where I got the word composite...brain fart haha sorry.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Brad, when you played with the contrast and brightness settings, do they do anything? Have you tried setting DVD player's settings to default and using TV's settings only?
Have you tried calibrating TV with a disc such as Avia or DVE? With dark scenes, you can only do so much with your TV to improve them. Make sure you don't have your contrast too high, that can ruin your TV. Most sources say to have it at less than 50%. You should calibrate the TV with a disc such as Avia or DVE.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
We cannot rule out the possiblity that the DVD player is outputting video that is not quite within the specs. for black to white level. Should this be the case it might be impossible for the TV's brightness and contrast controls to give you the full gray scale.

Also, the calibrations (using AVIA or Video Essentials) will differ depending on the light level in the room.

Finally the calibrations are not guaranteed to be the same using composite video (yellow jacks), S-video, and component video even from the same DVD player.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/blacker.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks