What's new

Completing/upgrading my system , I GOt the cerwin center read on (1 Viewer)

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
I got my cerwin vega tower speaker in for my center speaker, that sound that comes out of it is SIMPLY awesome, but now when I sent my reciever to all large speakers, it overheads, so now Im going to buy a powered subwoofer , Since I am so Happy with the tower speaker I bought Im wanting a cerwin vega sub

I know many people say that these subs dont produce low clean not in yoru face bass
but I like bass that You can feel

Can you guys help me decide on these two , if you had to get one or the other.

, if this is needed or not on deciding i don know but just in case

my reciever has cross overs for the sub that are 100 , 150 , or 200,

please help me guys

oh another p.s lol

The 15 inch will produce more bass than the 12 right, im just wanint a speaker that won't pop or destroy when I play something

http://www.audioallies.com/GetBrandS...fers&Sub=15%22

Jay McC

Agent
I've been a long time fan and owner of Vegas but had to give them up when i got married because the wife didn't like he way the monstrous towers looked.

Anyway, at one time or another i've listened to both of your choices and my opinion is you can go either way. They both are the same size, same driver, same wattage rating, same subsonic filter, pretty much the same speaker. So, it really comes down to which one do you thing looks better. The one with the built in feet or the one that will sit directly on the floor. Either way it goes, you're gonna get the same sound.

Another option might be to comb the internet and see if you can get one of Vega's CVT powered subs. They're taller, go deeper since they don't have the subsonic filter built into them, and are video shielded. There are only 2 models the 200s and the 300s which are 12 and 15 inch woofers. Unfortunately, i never got the opportunity to hear them but the CVT-300s was in a head to head with a Velodyne and M&K sub which you can read about at the Home Theater Magazine website.

Anyway, hope that long winded explanation was some help.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Jay great post with alot of info. Is there a reason why he needs to stay with cerwin vega for a sub. Its the least thing one needs to worry about matching? I say this only as I have heard their subs at the shop and just was not impressed. If he has the bucks go with the big new velo that you can program, if he doesnt I doubt he would hear much difference between it and/or an SVS or HSU... What do you think?

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
im new here
what is a subsonic filter,

I guess my question is this , When I have all my speakers set to large I get good bass because its coming from three tower speakers with 12 inch woofers,

but If I get one of these woofers, and set all my sp eakers to small, Will the bass be Just as good ?

Reason Im asking is casue when I do this now the tower speakers are so large that my baby 6 inch woofer cant make a stand lol?

how much is the taller cerwin vega speaker

So did you like the ones that you tested ok , I mean dcan you feel the bass like their website tells you they can

any help guys would be much apreciated , You had a good post with lots of info , thanks

You can try to get me to get another speaker instead of cerwin vega, but im a fan of them ,

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
i looked up the taller sub you was talkign about its $509 , I need to stay under the 350 range

Would you not be happy if you had one of these subs I was talking about

I dont knwo what subsonic filter means

Jay McC

Agent
A subsonic filter is basically a high pass crossover setting for subwoofers to control the volume of lower frequency bass being produced by the speaker. Its pretty much the same as what is applied to your speakers when you set them to small in your receivers setup menu.

Cerwin Vega claims that for both speaker models you were looking at, they have a subsonic filter with a roll off of 18db per octave below 30Hz. So the question is, since these are Vegas and Vega always builds their woofers in ported enclosures, is the subsonic filter they speak of actually built into the amplifier or are the ports of the subs tuned to 30Hz. And since any frequencies below the port tuned frequency would have an 18db per octave roll off that would kinda be the same thing as a subsonic filter but i tend to think of subsonic filters as an electronic setting done before the amplifier.

Anyway, back on track. I've listened to both models at one point or another and neither impressed me. At the time i owned a pair of Cerwin Vega towers with the 15 inch woofer and the dark cherry finish and never felt that the powered subs could properly compliment the ridiculous amount of output the towers could produce. The subs never seemed like they could play low enough and just did not sound like Vegas to me and thats why i never purchased one.

But hey that's just my opinion. What you are using it for and what you want to hear from the sub may be totally different that what i hear. My advice is try and find a place to listen to them, if you can't and you trust that the place that you are ordering from will let you return them if you're not satisfied, then go for it. But if you are not comfortable with this company then go ahead and shop around your local stores and hear what they have to offer in your price range. Even those specialty shops tend to have a couple of reasonably priced subwoofers on hand. At least it will give you an idea of what you feel a sub should sound like and you may even find something that you absolutely must have.

Kind of a long way of say that when it comes to bass, we probably hear two different things and only your ears can tell you what works for you in the bass department.

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
yeah , Im trying the same movie now on my reciever to say if it ever says overlaod

I took those wires that were hooked up on one end , but werent the other end and so far it hasnt said overload,

could that have been causing the overload problem , cause my I had wires coming from each subwoofer out of my tower speakers into another subwoofer, but then I took that sub away , and the wires were just hanging there

Im hoping I dont have to get a subwoofer becasue liek you said You can get enough power through towers , its just taht If your reciever shuts off , a person has a hard time doing that

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks