What's new

Comparing 3 models (Analog Projection TV) (1 Viewer)

JasonBenway

Agent
I'll looking at 3 projection TV

Toshiba 53ax62 $1200 at ABC warehouse

Hitachi 50FX20B $1200 at ABC warehouse

Magnavox 55 $820 at Bestbuy ( Floor model )

Here's what I know, the magavox needs a shield for the screen (150 at BB). I don't feel good about the Magnavox brand, but with a service agreement does it matter?

4 year in home service from BB is $200

5 years in home service from ABC is 375

I really can't spend more than $1400.

Any other sugestions would also be a great help.

Thanks,jb

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Well (he said, biting his tongue), if you're dead set on an analog set that is already obsolete and the purchase of which you'll regret more with each passing year
I'd go with the Toshiba or the Hitachi.

Jan

JasonBenway

Agent
If you know of a digital set that is in the same price range I'm all ears :)

Thats my budget for now and I needs something other than my current 19 inch set to watch my DVD's on.

Could you give me more reasoning on why you'd go with the Toshiba or the Hitachi.

Why do you say analog is SO obsolete now? I know HDTV is coming but my current DVD player does not have progressive scan and I have digital cable. So right now I won't have much need for a digital set.

Thanks,jb

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Jason,
When the analog (NTSC) standard was devised, the best minds forecast that one day TV screens might be as large as 19"! Obviously we are well beyond the anticipated limit of that technology, and in that sense "analog is obsolete" for a 50" screen. Blown up to that size, an analog signal is going to have highly visible scan lines since you're limited to a 480-interlaced signal (in which every other line is scanned every 60th of a second).
A digital set will take the 480i signal from your DVD player and convert it to a progressive signal (also known as "line doubling") in which all of the lines are scanned every 60th of second, eliminating scan lines and giving you a much sharper picture. If you want your DVDs to look better...and not just bigger...you want a digital set.
You'll be stunned at how much better your DVDs look on a digital set, even without progressive output on the DVD player. And with a larger screen, your cable picture needs all the help it can get, too. A digital TV will also line-double broadcast TV, as well as being ready for HDTV when you decide to take that particular plunge.
And you are so close financially at $1200! For $1500 you can get a digital set, probably not a 50", but surely over 40".
A $1200 analog set is just a really bad value. If you could pick one up for $500, it might make sense. But at a price difference of $300 or so, just wait awhile and save your money and get a set that will give you more and more in the coming years rather than less and less.
Toshiba has the best color fidelity out of the box and has the shallowest form factor. They're my favorite. Other people prefer other manufacturers for other reasons, which you can find on this forum. There are a lot of good sets on the market.
Jan

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you shop around, you'll find some HD RPTVs for $1500 or less. Whether widescreen or 4x3 is right for you is another story. I believe both Toshiba and Hitachi make models in the circa 43" size for 4x3, if you don't like stretch modes for 4x3 viewing.

If you don't mind stretch modes, you should take a look at a few 42-47" HD RPTVs. Both Toshiba and Panasonic make models that might fit your budget. Not sure if Hitachi makes one for that price.

The reason I bring up stretch modes is because they are recommended to substantially reduce the risk of burn-in w/ 4x3 content on a 16x9 RPTV. If you watch tons of widescreen content on a 4x3 RPTV, burn-in can be an issue also.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks