What's new

Amazon Prime Commercials Coming To Amazon Prime in 2024 (1 Viewer)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
It's not being well received here in the UK, either.

This particular forum members are saying they will cancel and not renew etc.

Will be interesting to see if Amazon lose many Prime subscribers from this.

The thing is many Prime subscribers probably use the service primarily for home deliveries of goods as opposed to streaming TV etc.

However, this move still might hurt them.

I'm wondering if they just raised the price and not introduced ads for the service that the negative response might be less severe?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Didn’t go up from $120 to $140 late in 2022?

1707928969807.png

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm disgusted my membership just renewed. I would have cancelled without a second thought --I use Prime for convenience and nothing more. I'm going to turn off the auto renewal for next year. Will not make that mistake again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The class action suit is brought by "Wilbert Napoleon"? Yeah, that's a real person.

1707932401174.png

Is that the equivalent of "Alan Smithee" in the legal world?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The lawsuit needs to be amended to include the fact that Amazon failed to even mention that Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos were moved to the ad-free tier, and still hasn't come completely clean on that issue.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm disgusted my membership just renewed. I would have cancelled without a second thought --I use Prime for convenience and nothing more. I'm going to turn off the auto renewal for next year. Will not make that mistake again.

IF it just renewed today or yesterday, especially if you haven't used it since, just ask for a cancel-and-refund me thinks. They may well give it to you (and of course, tell them why... which I'm sure they'll ask).

_Man_

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Interesting observation. I’m a fan of Judge Judy (guilty pleasure!). Season three of Judy Justice just dropped recently. While the info page lists it as “FreeVee Presents…” it’s now part of Prime. Some episodes have a commercial prior to the show and one around the 15 minute mark, others have the pre-show commercial but none during the show. Odd.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I've learned to never say never. Advertising is so pervasive that I can see them wanting to put ads in front of our purchased movies. Sound crazy? It was done all the time on VHS.
The funny thing is that the advertising on VHS is actually one of the main reasons why I still like to watch VHS tapes from time to time. Whether it's the Coca Cola one on the Ghostbusters rental release or the Nintendo Gameboy one on the Terminator 2 rental release, they're just part of the experience and without them there would be nothing to go back for.

Sadly, contemporary advertising will never have that kind of appeal. Just an ongoing pain in the backside.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The funny thing is that the advertising on VHS is actually one of the main reasons why I still like to watch VHS tapes from time to time. Whether it's the Coca Cola one on the Ghostbusters rental release or the Nintendo Gameboy one on the Terminator 2 rental release, they're just part of the experience and without them there would be nothing to go back for.

Sadly, contemporary advertising will never have that kind of appeal. Just an ongoing pain in the backside.
You could also fast-forward through it on VHS.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember boycotting both Pepsi and Coke products for a year each because they put their commercials on rental-priced tapes, absolutely no benefit to the consumers. Remember Pepsi put a commercial on the “Innerspace” tape which was priced at $89.99 AND had Macrovision copy protection to keep you from even copying the commercial!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

That's exactly what was said about advertising on VHS product of that era... and just about every era prior.

Some folks enjoy watching NOB style versions of favorite classic TV shows that include the commercials. I find them interesting once in a rare while and am reminded why we hated commercials even back then. If they're included on TVonDVD/BR releases I rarely watch them as I didn't care for them back then and do not care for them now.

In 20 years there will be people who'll enjoy watching "contemporary advertising" from their youth as it's nostalgia for them at that point... and they'll make that same comment you've made about the then contemporary advertising...

FWIW - when I watched pre-recorded VHS product I *always* fast forwarded past all commercial material. The simple fact that such junk was included on a tape I was being asked to pay to own/rent is just one of several reasons why I only owned a handful of commercial VHS product.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember boycotting both Pepsi and Coke products for a year each because they put their commercials on rental-priced tapes, absolutely no benefit to the consumers. Remember Pepsi put a commercial on the “Innerspace” tape which was priced at $89.99 AND had Macrovision copy protection to keep you from even copying the commercial!

Good 'ol Macrovision. I copied everything for my personal collection and went through quite a few "macro busters"

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Good 'ol Macrovision.
Macrovision never lived up to its promise of not compromising picture quality. It was incompatible with most Sharp TVs back in the day, causing major skewing at the top of the picture and fluctuating brightness levels. MGM got so many complaints that they stopped using Macrovision on their cassettes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks