What's new

Amazon Prime Commercials Coming To Amazon Prime in 2024 (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Amazon can't squeeze their suppliers more to sustain $30B profit so they go after the customers. Ad duration & frequency has ramped up tremendously on YT recently & better ad supported channels too. Everyone is trying to reduce their deficits.
What I STRONGLY OBJECT to is the Netflix $5B contract with WWE & I told them so via chat. This would have been far better handled thru a $3/month supplemental subscription, like Amazon ad free.
There are reports of a phone scam regarding Amazon's ad free upgrade. Please ignore them or you'll be in deep do-do!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Amazon can't squeeze their suppliers more to sustain $30B profit so they go after the customers. Ad duration & frequency has ramped up tremendously on YT recently & better ad supported channels too. Everyone is trying to reduce their deficits.
What I STRONGLY OBJECT to is the Netflix $5B contract with WWE & I told them so via chat. This would have been far better handled thru a $3/month supplemental subscription, like Amazon ad free.
There are reports of a phone scam regarding Amazon's ad free upgrade. Please ignore them or you'll be in deep do-do!
I was not aware of the WWE deal with Netflix, but then again, I don't pay much attention to Pro Wrestling. I think we all know that sports is what has been driving cable, satellite, and other similar services prices upwards. When the Los Angeles Dodgers partnered with Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) to launch their own cable channel to carry home games in the late 1990s, pretty much every cable and satellite service that served the Los Angeles TV market balked and refused to carry the channel, mostly because Time Warner wanted a relatively large sum per subscriber AND the channel had to be part of the basic package. The service providers offered to carry the channel ala carte, but Time Warner refused, and this went on for years until I moved out of the market.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Huh. Well, that was fast.
My mom was part of a class action lawsuit against a print magazine she subscribed to for deceptive renewal practices. Last year she won $250 as a result of it. Not bad for a $12 annual sub she had for two years.

If this lawsuit (which should be pretty substantial) is won, it should send a warning to all other big tech companies trying to scam, or unfairly go outside of the agreed terms. E-Harmony should be next on the chopping block easily!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

So... another price hike coming very soon from NF I guess???

This one just might be the last straw for my family -- I wanted to cancel all along (and just reactivate once or twice a year) anyway, but the family wanted to keep it (though at the mid-tier). This could possibly finally get them to balk at another price hike -- I hope so.

I almost never watch NF myself, which made downgrading to stay below $17/month (barely) acceptable enough -- I've even resisted watching Maestro on there so far since I wanted better for that film and had planned on seeing it in a good theater instead.

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's not all that different from Amazon's contract for NFL games - something I resent. I don't know how much they paid for the rights but I'm offended that, as a Prime subscriber, I'm subsidizing that. It's not too different than cable forcing everyone to subsidize sports/news even if you never watch such programs. It should be an add on for those who want it. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover the expense for adding football was a direct contributor to the need to place ads on the service.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's not all that different from Amazon's contract for NFL games - something I resent. I don't know how much they paid for the rights but I'm offended that, as a Prime subscriber, I'm subsidizing that. It's not too different than cable forcing everyone to subsidize sports/news even if you never watch such programs. It should be an add on for those who want it. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover the expense for adding football was a direct contributor to the need to place ads on the service.

Yeah... although seems like the WWE deal w/ NF is in some ways worse than that NFL deal -- NFL is at least far more mainstream and more likely to be watched/enjoyed (even if just casually) by the vast majority of subscribers than WWE.

Either way, I can do w/out both subscriptions outside of a month or two each year myself and only do NF on the regular because of the family's desires and viewing habits...

_Man_

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Are there ads during the NFL games? If so, that may be the payment mechanism & why no supplemental subscription!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
HTF doesn't have one.
I know. That was my point. ;)

Maybe this will do:

hulk-angry.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well, then maybe WWE should appeal a bit more to you, LOL... ;):lol:

_Man_
Umm... no. My maternal grandmother *loved* TV wrestling though... and I hated to see her come on Saturday mornings as I'd have to give up my cartoons for her to watch "Studio Wrestling." She came once a month on Saturday for mom to give her a perm.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Umm... no. My maternal grandmother *loved* TV wrestling though... and I hated to see her come on Saturday mornings as I'd have to give up my cartoons for her to watch "Studio Wrestling." She came once a month on Saturday for mom to give her a perm.

I enjoyed it a little when I was a kid (fully recognizing it's basically all fake and just a show)...

The recent movie, Iron Claw, is pretty good... though the subject matter does still make it somewhat hard for me to admire... Fighting with My Family (2019) was definitely a "better", more rewatchable/entertaining movie for me -- don't think I'll bother owning Iron Claw at least on disc anyway... :P

_Man_

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t know what’s worse… the smell of permanent wave solution or having to watch professional wrestling.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don’t know what’s worse… the smell of permanent wave solution or having to watch professional wrestling.
Watching professional wrestling... Mom was a beautician and worked part time out of the house (her sink/area was just off the kitchen) so those smells (permanent wave solution, hair dye, etc.) were frequent and now hold nostalgia (like dad's shop - rosin core solder and burning electronics). If I close my eyes I can smell either... When I worked in radio and TV I was the first to know something was "burning up" due to dad's side business repairing/installing 2-way radios.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks