Comments on this possible Audio/HT setup?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JustinBBB, Oct 30, 2003.

1. JustinBBB

JustinBBB Auditioning

I'd first like to thank the administrators and members of this forum for making this such a great web resource; without you, this place would be nothing.

Currently I have a circa '92 Panasonic receiver/cassette deck all in one unit and 5-disk changer/2 tower speakers, 21" Sony Trinitron w/o stereo sound and a Sony DVP-NS325S DVD player (non progressive). Yes, I like to live on the cutting edge of technology at home. [​IMG]

I want to upgrade the receiver and speakers to use mainly for music listening but also as a basic home theatre system. This is going in a large one bedroom apartment so I have no use for big bass sounds, just clear music set at low levels and secondly for surround sound purposes watching DVD's. Questions:

1) Does anyone have an opinion on the Harmon Kardon AVR125 coupled with the Fluance AV-HTB 5 speaker set? I like the large 3-way tower sound and do not mind having the (to some people), too large surround speakers.

2) I am very impressed by the look of the speakers but have never listened to them. Does anyone own a set and dislike them or suggest paying a little extra for the SX-HTB set?

Feel free to point me in a different direction if I am off track. But please consider that ANYTHING I buy will be better than my current *system*!

Thank you again, I really appreciate this forum resource.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Welcome to the HTF Justin,

I can comment on the avr125. This is a very good receiver. It has lots of power, and you can crank it up without distortion. It has a smooth warm sound that I like very much. It is big and heavy but also looks great IMO. Do you live in Canada?

3. JustinBBB

JustinBBB Auditioning

Thanks for the encouraging comments GrahamT. That appears to be the general sentiment for the avr125 on this board.

No, I don't live in Canada, actually Wash DC. However, I have enjoyed your skiing in Whistler BC, just amazing[​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What is your budget for the speakers and receiver?

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I was just guessing by the way you spell theatre. I can't comment on Fluance but check out www.audioreview.com for any equipment you are considering. I find this is a good site to get a general impression of a product.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

The HK AVR-125 is a very nice reciever for it's price and with HK phasing out there x25 line they can't be beaten in terms of price.

In terms of speakers, how many $$$ can you spend?

7. JustinBBB

JustinBBB Auditioning

To Chris and Lew,
    I have decided on the H/K AVR125 and would appreciate suggestions on speakers. I'd like to pay in the $300 range for the speaker package. After going to BB to audition some tower speakers, the JBL, Klipsh and Yamaha sounded the same to me. I guess I am not an audiophile!

GrahamT,
    Thanks for the web link, am checking it out now.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

My recommendation for the last several months in the $300 range is the Acoustic Research HC6 package. This had dropped to right around $300 on the Internet suppliers. I recently read that the package was getting hard to find at that price point (back up to around $400).

A very good value at $400—outstanding at $300. I’ve not heard anything recently that I would recommend at $300.but some other members probably know of other packages at this price.