What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Coming Soon From Classic Flix: The Little Rascals Preservation & Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just received an update about the project.

Announcement Soon, Take Advantage of Sale Pricing on Catalog

Thank you for taking part in THE LITTLE RASCALS PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION PROJECT.

This is just a quick not to let you know that the scanning and restoration of The Rascals elements has been moving forward and that we plan on announcing Volume 1 (with the first 11 sound shorts) in the next week or so-- and you'll be the first to know!

Additionally, we heard from several backers of the $100 pledge level and up that they were not only disappointed when the project didn't hit its goal in regards to The Rascals, but also that they couldn't take advantage of the low pricing on some of our catalog titles that were included in their pledges.

We'll, I'm happy to let you know that our WINTER BLOWOUT SALE is underway and we've got great pricing with lots of Blu-rays and DVDs under $10. Click the image below to check out the sale.

So instead of Volume 1 being the first 22 shorts, it will now be the first 11 shorts

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just received an update about the project.

Announcement Soon, Take Advantage of Sale Pricing on Catalog

Thank you for taking part in THE LITTLE RASCALS PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION PROJECT.

This is just a quick not to let you know that the scanning and restoration of The Rascals elements has been moving forward and that we plan on announcing Volume 1 (with the first 11 sound shorts) in the next week or so-- and you'll be the first to know!

Additionally, we heard from several backers of the $100 pledge level and up that they were not only disappointed when the project didn't hit its goal in regards to The Rascals, but also that they couldn't take advantage of the low pricing on some of our catalog titles that were included in their pledges.

We'll, I'm happy to let you know that our WINTER BLOWOUT SALE is underway and we've got great pricing with lots of Blu-rays and DVDs under $10. Click the image below to check out the sale.

So instead of Volume 1 being the first 22 shorts, it will now be the first 11 shorts
At least, they're still coming. :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I received the same e-mail and am happy that they are are prepping that first, of ? how many volumes, the original roach run is 82 shorts, so 8 volumes with bonus features spread amongst the volumes , seems feasible, as most of these are two reelers to begin with and of course the omission of General Spanky.

I wont go into the greedy nature that is bubbling up right now, but i do remember they saying that they had access to original materials, or as close as possible in existence, …. the mind wanders to those seldom seen gems from over almost a century ago.

Why does it seem that is the way with things of late, all of these great restorations, pushing generations of new viewers towards the past, when funny could be simple, and kind, and kids playing, no bad language, but it did have something todays modern takes don't have , humor with it's heart.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I received the same e-mail and am happy that they are are prepping that first, of ? how many volumes, the original roach run is 82 shorts, so 8 volumes with bonus features spread amongst the volumes , seems feasible, as most of these are two reelers to begin with and of course the omission of General Spanky.

I wont go into the greedy nature that is bubbling up right now, but i do remember they saying that they had access to original materials, or as close as possible in existence, …. the mind wanders to those seldom seen gems from over almost a century ago.

Why does it seem that is the way with things of late, all of these great restorations, pushing generations of new viewers towards the past, when funny could be simple, and kind, and kids playing, no bad language, but it did have something todays modern takes don't have , humor with it's heart.

80 shorts total. 6 volumes is the plan.

Not sure to what your second paragraph is a reference to?

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Bravo and congratulations to ClassicFlix. The fund-raiser had me on the edge of my seat; and I couldn’t be happier in knowing that this venture is moving forward. Wonderful news, indeed.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Wanted to share with you two "Almost Hads" today.

The goal for the restoring and releasing all 80 Our Gang Hal Roach sound shorts is to give the best presentations possible for each film, and that means testing out as many elements as possible to get the best results. Sometimes that means we can find elements that are superior and perform full scans on them. Other times, we find superior elements, but can't use them because they are too far deteriorated. These we call "almost hads".

We recently had two test scans performed, one of the 15th Our Gang sound short HELPING GRANDMA and the other of the 27th: THE POOCH. Both test scans looked promising, but yesterday we learned they both are so brittle and quite literally disintegrating, that the full shorts are not able to be scanned.

You can see from the raw scan of HELPING GRANDMA, especially when compared to the current DVD, that it is generally sharp, and has a lot more information on it. In spite of its flaws, it would have been great to attempt to restore from this element, but it is wholly unusable and we'll have to look for other elements.

On THE POOCH, the element is so clear and beautiful, even before restoration, that it is truly a shame that we can't perform a full scan. We were, though, able to scan the first 6 minutes or so of the first reel and we're going to attempt to scan the second reel and perhaps use other elements to patch in missing parts of the first reel. However, it is too early to tell.

While we didn't hit our goal in the crowdfund, we'll be announcing Volume 1 this week and ask for your support. By supporting our Rascal releases, you're literally preserving these shorts for posterity prior the film elements deteriorating and helping us get the best presentations possible by turning an "Almost had it" to a "We got it"!

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Thanks! That is the hope.

We've already started scanning partially through volume 3, but won't move forward with restorations (the largest expense) and planning release dates until we see what pre-sales are like for Volume 1.

If pre-sales are good for Volume 1, we will plan a quick follow up with Volume 2.

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I just put my pre-order in. I'm excited for this release. Thank you for the restoration efforts and making these available.

Thanks for ordering!

For those who don't know, we just announced our release of The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Vol. 1.

The_Little_Rascals_BD_FNL_800.jpg

- David

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I've put in my preorder as well.

Bring on Vol 2 (and 3, and 4, and ...)

Thanks! We are currently scanning for volumes 2 and 3.

And while all the restored shorts will be a major upgrade from the DVD, I Just viewed a couple of test scans from our proposed volume 3 that are eye-poppingly sharp. Can't wait to share those once restored.

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Wanted to share some great news with you today!

Very few of the original picture negatives exist in usable form for the Our Gang shorts, but today we've come across one and it's a stunner: the 26th Our Gang sound short HOOK & LADDER.

Below is a raw scan (no restoration or color grading yet) of this short which is planned for Volume 3. Your support of Volume 1 is a great determining factor as to how fast these releases will come out.

Buy one today, and tell everyone you know about this release and let's get all 80 Our Gang shorts, fully restored, on Blu-ray in 2021!

- David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks