What's new

Coming Soon From Classic Flix: The Little Rascals Preservation & Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
OUR GANG.jpg
OUR GANG 2.jpg
One of my Favorites ! :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Wanted to share with you two "Almost Hads" today.

The goal for the restoring and releasing all 80 Our Gang Hal Roach sound shorts is to give the best presentations possible for each film, and that means testing out as many elements as possible to get the best results. Sometimes that means we can find elements that are superior and perform full scans on them. Other times, we find superior elements, but can't use them because they are too far deteriorated. These we call "almost hads".

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

So what is known to exist as the "lowest generation" (Negatives or positives) of the shorts overall?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Wanted to share some great news with you today!

Very few of the original picture negatives exist in usable form for the Our Gang shorts, but today we've come across one and it's a stunner: the 26th Our Gang sound short HOOK & LADDER.

Below is a raw scan (no restoration or color grading yet) of this short which is planned for Volume 3. Your support of Volume 1 is a great determining factor as to how fast these releases will come out.

Buy one today, and tell everyone you know about this release and let's get all 80 Our Gang shorts, fully restored, on Blu-ray in 2021!

Wow.

(I must admit, though, that my overriding thought was, "That poor cat!")

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
So far, a print for reel 1 of RAILROADIN'. Most are fine grains or dup negatives.

- David

Nice to know there's some existing fine grains. Hopefully the dup negatives yield decent results as well.

it's a mix of WHEN the fine grains and dup negatives were made over the years, I suppose

I'm guessing work on "Curly" and "Who Killed Doc Robbin" has been put on hold to give these priority?

A Big thank you to ClassicFlix for taking on this project - perhaps the most important Hal Roach related restoration project done since the Silent Laurel & Hardy films were 30 years ago. (Imagine if someone had gotten to the Our Gang/Little Rascals Nitrates 30 years ago!)

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Nice to know there's some existing fine grains. Hopefully the dup negatives yield decent results as well.

it's a mix of WHEN the fine grains and dup negatives were made over the years, I suppose

I'm guessing work on "Curly" and "Who Killed Doc Robbin" has been put on hold to give these priority?

A Big thank you to ClassicFlix for taking on this project - perhaps the most important Hal Roach related restoration project done since the Silent Laurel & Hardy films were 30 years ago. (Imagine if someone had gotten to the Our Gang/Little Rascals Nitrates 30 years ago!)

From what I've seen so far, Volume 2 has generally better generation elements than Volume 1, and Volume 3 has even better elements than volume 2 (even some OCNs like HOOK & LADDER).

Yes, everything else is on hold as the capital needed for a project this big is sizable.

We've scanned and done some restoration on CURELY and have scanned DOC ROBBIN, but have put those on hold months ago along with other projects including 1949's BLACK MAGIC starring Orson Welles.

- David

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
From what I've seen so far, Volume 2 has generally better generation elements than Volume 1, and Volume 3 has even better elements than volume 2 (even some OCNs like HOOK & LADDER).

Yes, everything else is on hold as the capital needed for a project this big is sizable.

We've scanned and done some restoration on CURELY and have scanned DOC ROBBIN, but have put those on hold months ago along with other projects including 1949's BLACK MAGIC starring Orson Welles.

- David

WOW OCN of "Hook & Latter" - Now That's impressive - and it's a personal favorite of mine :)

So of the shorts with Nitrate negatives or OCN elements can't be totally salvaged/transferred, (The "Almost Hads") will what can be transferred still be used and matched with other existing elements?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell

- David
Any idea when any of the non-Little Rascals projects will be coming out? Or is your release schedule this next year essentially going to be the Little Rascals releases (depending on how well they sell)?

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
WOW OCN of "Hook & Latter" - Now That's impressive - and it's a personal favorite of mine :)

So of the shorts with Nitrate negatives or OCN elements can't be totally salvaged/transferred, (The "Almost Hads") will what can be transferred still be used and matched with other existing elements?

Yes, barring anything unforeseen that would preclude us from doing so.

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Any idea when any of the non-Little Rascals projects will be coming out? Or is your release schedule this next year essentially going to be the Little Rascals releases (depending on how well they sell)?

It's definitely on hold. No idea when, but it looks like Q3 or 4 next year.

- David

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
While there are many things I enjoyed watching as a child that hasn't carried over to my adulthood, The Little Rascals are just the opposite, I think I enjoy them more now than I did then, especially watching them completely restored, and without all the pesky editing. Definitely will be buying all six volumes! And an off topic note, awaiting my copy of "A Night in Casablanca," which has been shipped and on its way. Thank you!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
[email protected] post: 4942491 said:
While there are many things I enjoyed watching as a child that hasn't carried over to my adulthood, The Little Rascals are just the opposite, I think I enjoy them more now than I did then, especially watching them completely restored, and without all the pesky editing. Definitely will be buying all six volumes! And an off topic note, awaiting my copy of "A Night in Casablanca," which has been shipped and on its way. Thank you!
Thank you for your support!

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Restorations on The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 1 are progressing well. Today's update gives you a sneak peek at the restoration in progress of the 5th Our Gang sound short BOUNCING BABIES.

While the restoration is not fully complete, the image quality (scanned from original nitrate film elements) is easily far superior to any previous release.

Enjoy the clip, and if you haven't already, pre-order your copy of Volume 1 and share this project with others today.

- David

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Restorations on The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 1 are progressing well. Today's update gives you a sneak peek at the restoration in progress of the 5th Our Gang sound short BOUNCING BABIES.

While the restoration is not fully complete, the image quality (scanned from original nitrate film elements) is easily far superior to any previous release.

Enjoy the clip, and if you haven't already, pre-order your copy of Volume 1 and share this project with others today.

- David

Wow ! It's Not fully complete, and it looks Fantastic ! :) Thanks David

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
That looks fantastic! I used to watch The Little Rascals on WFLD-TV, channel 32, in Chicago, way back in 1970, and this particular short was one in the worst condition, so much hissing, and cracking, and very blurry. What a treat to see it in such a fine condition, cant can't wait to view these again!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
as if I already wasn't having a ClassicFlix overload, Hal Roach Streamliners: Westerns last night and finally spinning up The Marx Bros. Night in Casablanca earlier this morning, and of course, both looking great.

Viewed the clip and it's wonderful, but then i had already expected it to be, as all of the great treatment and respect given to the Roach Studios by ClassicFlix and their releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks