What's new

Comedian (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I saw this movie over the weekend. I thought it was fantastic.

Jerry Seinfeld spends the movie looking for new material, and encounters other comedians along the way on their own journeys. It occurred to me that Jerry's plight resembles the hejira of a pilgrim, who seeks out the prophet (in this case, Bill Cosby) for wisdom, and in the process, finds a previously unrevealed soul. The movie is amusing at times, but it isn't a comedy. Highly recommended.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to post something about this movie, considering the buzz over the hilarious trailer.

I really enjoyed Comedian. The film had particular resonance for me, because I got to see the final product of the process it documents when Jerry was on tour last Summer.

The sit-down between Jerry and Bill Cosby was a great moment, as was Seinfeld's painful effort to try to remember a joke while developing his act in a NY comedy club. The filmmakers' choice to play off Seinfeld's journey to his new act against the struggles of a new, young comedian, Orny Adams, was a lot of fun. It's too bad they kinda let that storyline fizzle out towards the last part of the film.

Luc D

Second Unit
For me, The Comedian is that film you wish was just a little bit better. It has moments of insight and is generally entertaining thanks to Seinfeld who I feel is actually funnier than his act suggests, but the film doesn't seem to build towards anything and kind of goes nowhere.

Still, anyone who liked his television show should enjoy it.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Saw it this weekend too...
And I feel kinda sad for Orny.
There he was, all excited about being on the front page of the newspaper. Then he asked if the audience read it...
Thing is, in Canada (espcially Montreal), there are very few people that read the National Post!

Anyway, it was interesting to see the other side of the comedians.

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I too really enjoyed this movie , but im wondering why this was on the big screen. Isnt this the kind of ground that HBO usually covers?. Not to mention , the academy aspect ratio shown in a 1:85 frame just plain sucks.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I thought the movie was entertaining as well. Very interesting going behind the scenes and seeing just how tortured these successful comedians can be.

Orny Adams really rubbed me the wrong way, the flick just stopped for me whenever they cut to his storyline. His non-stop negativity was funny for a few mintues, but grating soon after.

My favorite bit was the whole Think Tank idea! I was rolling during that segment.

And yes, what was up with the aspect ratio used? Someone out there actually wanted to make a movie in 4:3? Even my $350 videocamera has a 16:9 mode... I would have let them borrow it!

Pieter

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Not to mention , the academy aspect ratio shown in a 1:85 frame just plain sucks.
Not to mention the theater (which will go unnamed here, but it's an evil, evil place) showed all the trailers and commercials in the "scope" format, then converted everything back to "flat" as the feature began, only then showing a paneled in 1.33:1 frame (which was misframed at this particular theater). What fun! :)

Luc D

Second Unit
What's wrong with Academy ratio? It's how the film was shot. I'm sorry if we're getting sidetracked but I'm just wondering what the objection is.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Going to see Comedien this weekend. From the buzz, I am very glad it is actually finding its way here. God bless Historic West Theater.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks