What's new

Comcast or Satellite? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im really pissed at comcast. Their customer service is craptacular and their billing doesnt make sense as well. I feel as Im getting ripped off.

I dont need a bunch of movie channels; I just want basic cable; VH1, E!, Spike etc. Im thinking about DirectTV or Dish and adding Tivo. I dont want to paying through the nose which is one reason Im dropping Comcast like a bad habit.

Any advice?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am thinking of getting Direct TV. Can someone tell me if they have had good experiences with this company. I have cable now and its way too much money (around $50.00 a month) for what you get.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am thinking of getting Direct TV. Can someone tell me if they have had good experiences with this company.
I was a DirecTV customer for about 3 years and switched to Dish for their Dishplayer (PVR). After 18 months of crappy service, I switched back to DirecTV for the DirecTivo. I will stay a customer of DirecTV as long as they support the DirecTivo. Somewhere in there I tried Time Warner digital cable for 29 days of a 30 day free tial. I'll use an antenna before going going back to cable.

-Robert

Jodee

Screenwriter
I dropped Comcast Digital for DirecTV/DirecTivo this past March and it was the best decision I've made all year.

I now have 3 DireTivo units in the house--it is a wonderful thing.

Get thee-self a DirecTivo now! It is soooo much better than my old Comcast/ReplayTV set-up. Recording two channels at once, no missed channel changes, and the quality is absolutely stunning.

I have had zero problems with DirecTV and I am an extremely happy customer. Plus you can now get the DirecTivo units for $99 or less! I think it's an absolute no-brainer.

I probably sound like a commercial, but I am so happy with my TV set-up now I feel I have to recommend it to everyone! :)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I was with Directv for 8 years, I loved it until it was time to go HD...Directv's basic packages offer more for the money than cable...I switched to my cable company about two weeks ago mainly because of the "no out of pocket expense" for an HD reciever and local sports and channels in HD. With D* you need to purchase your own reciever plus an OTA for HD....

Basic channels = Directv
HD= CABLE.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Is Dish Tivo the same as DirectTivo? Dish is offering a signup with "free" equipment right now. Or should I drop the coin and buy the DirectTivo?

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
The "Dish TiVO" isn't a TiVO. It runs its own PVR software, which I hear isn't nearly as good as TiVO. Besides, getting dual tuners w/ a DTiVO should be the clincher for just about everyone.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Aside from the receiver, adding Tivo service to your DirecTV is only $5 a month (much cheaer than stand-alone Tivo).

And if you have multiple D-Tivo's you only pay one service fee.

I also think they waive the Tivo serive fee if you have the Premium package with all channels.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question.

I have an old Sony D* receiver that's on the blink. Thinking about going to the Directv TiVo thing. What's the actual receiver like? Does the guide compare to the Sony's. Is there any major functionality lost? I've never had a TiVo (can you tell).

I also believe the community is eagerly awaiting an HD version. If true, I may wait until that's turns-up as the TV this is attached to is an HDTV.

Thanks

N

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I think Im sold on DirectTivo. I just need to find out if my apt balcony faces the right direction for the satellite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks