Comcast and HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JGiampa, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JGiampa

JGiampa Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone use Comcast as their cable prodivder and have a box that uses HDMI? I am moving into a new apartment and I would like to know whether I will be able to use the HDMI cables that I recently ordered.

Thanks

2. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    All of the HD boxed on comcasts website use HDMI cables.

3. JGiampa

The guy came today and told me that if i wanted HDMI outputs i would have to get the dvdr box which is an extra 10 bucks a month.

4. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I have the DVR (Motorolla something-orother) and just installed an HDMI cable last night - switching from their crappy components. After a bit of tweaking, I'm noticing some better color depth and also less "fuzzies" on fast-moving HD images on the INHD channels.

5. JGiampa

Really you thought their component cables looked bad? That sucks for me huh. Should I buy different component cables?

Its weird I find a lot of guys saying to go with HDMI and a lot of guys saying go with component.

6. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

You should have no problem if you are going straight from the box to the tv. However, my Comcast Motorola 6412 has problems when going through my Denon 4302.

As far as component vs. HDMI - I found that this problem (not being able to use HDMI through my AVR) didn't bother me too much - as switching between high-quality components and HDMI direct to the TV didn't seem to produce a noticeable change in quality for me. The key here is high-quality component cables, as the cables you get with the boxes are generally crap.