What's new

Columbia Strikes Again! - Real Genius cover art (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder what Val Kilmer thinks of this?.........
My Prediction:
About a year and a half from now Columbia will release a Special Edition of this dvd with commentary, deleted scenes, featurette(s), etc. AND change the cover back to the original theatrical artwork.
ok maybe not.
:frowning:

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The cover looks so bad that if someone told me it was a joke I'd believe them! At least it's anamorphic OAR, which, these days, is a big deal for Columbia Tri-Star.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I wish they would just use the ORIGINAL movie poster cover art on all DVD releases.
Agreed. I mean, when I went to look for "Joe Vs. The Volcano" last week I was looking for the one-sheet art. Well, where was it? No, instead they use this goofy shot of Hanks and Ryan. Someone PLEASE smack these people making the bad cover art!!!

Mike

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I was all prepared to post something like, "it's just a box cover, who cares?". Then I clicked the link. That's SO bad. :frowning:
I really don't care, but I think that may be some of the ugliest DVD artwork I've ever seen.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I think the cover looks fantastic. :rolleyes
The theatrical poster already showcased Val Kilmer, so why would Columbia go out of their way to make a crappy cover?
I'm glad I had no intention of picking this title up in the first place... because I'd really hate to have artwork like that in my collection.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I want the movie. As long as the spine of the case is not bright pink I am fine with it.

Do some of you really sit around and admire your DVD covers?

I have a big DVD collection and I can honestly say that I don't give a *&!@ about the cover art on a single one of them.

Oh...and at least Columbia gives us OAR.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
David - I have yet to see one that isn't.

Note: Except the original framing error on Silverado which was corrected.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chris, Columbia TriStar is getting ready to release over a dozen films to DVD that are not going to be in their OAR. Ron Epstein has confirmed this.
Check these threads here and here for details, including names of the films involved.
I can also show you rear shots of cover art for many of the named films which state "Full Screen Presentation" and no other AR indication.
There are also other things I know that I cannot discuss here and now...but the information is floating around on the internet, much of it here at HTF and IN THOSE TWO THREADS.
Take my word for it: DO NOT TRUST Columbia for OAR at this time. Research it yourself. Thanks for listening,

John CW

Supporting Actor
Whether the DVD is good or not doesn't matter... that's a TERRIBLE cover! Looks like they got one of the secretaries to do it or something!
Mind you: The original cover is pretty bad too! :)
~ John

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
For all the people wondering why we are making a big fuss over the cover is because it's like Columbia went out of their way to make a terrible cover for a good movie. To me the cover is as much a part of the presentation as the movie itself. This cover is like a 2002 BMW with hubcaps, just plain ugly. :thumbsdown:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, a wretched cover would never prevent me from buying a movie I love...but this one comes close!
You don't want to (or can't) use the original artwork? OK, fine.
That doesn't mean you have to concoct the ugliest things under the sun!
Did someone walk into their boss' office and say "Here's the Real Genius cover I came up with!"????
And did the boss then respond "Hey, that looks great. Let's use it!"???
Makes no sense.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"This cover is like a 2002 BMW with hubcaps, just plain ugly."

Of course if it's the 2002 BMW 745, even if it has alloy wheels, it's still just plain ugly, but that's another topic for another thread.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jay...but the creator forgot to relace the ugly shot on the spine! No way I'll want to see that when I pick it up off the shelf... :shudder:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks