What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Real Genius (1985) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to get this - this is one of those quirky movies that I really liked when it came out since I was just starting a chemistry career at the time. The Nineth Gate with Johnny Depp is another one.

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
VERY happy to see this! Saw it a few times in the theatre and I still have a bunch of the promo materials from its original home video release, including the limited "I :emoji_hearts: Toxic Waste" t-shirt. Day one for sure.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have no interest in this film. That's not a negative comment -- just that I've never seen it.

However, I kind of get a kick out of this kind of release that seems to come out of left field.

I mean, Sony recently gave us "1776" over the past two weeks. It's a small title with a limited (but vocal) fanbase.

To see a small title like REAL GENIUS get its due is kind of neat in the same way.

Happy for the fans and at the same time seeing Sony go deep into their catalog and release a title like this on 4k.
Ron, this is a hilarious film. If you want to “borrow” it via Screen Pass on Movies Anywhere, drop me a pm.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't remember if I saw it or not back in the 80s. As someone else mentioned, the airbrushed Val Kilmer art on the vhs was off-putting. I probably thought it was a cheapie. I've been flipping through youtube vids of this film, some of it does seem familiar, like when they made the orchestra pit into a swimming pool. Maybe I watched part of it on HBO way, way back. I dunno...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I sometimes feel bad for William Atherton, always playing characters that audiences love to see get their comeuppance. But only sometimes, as I'm sure he -- at least on some level -- enjoys the notoriety.

I’m pretty sure I read an interview somewhere where he said that he enjoyed being so well known for those parts and being called out for it - that it’s the highest compliment that he was so good in roles he did ages ago that people are still angry at him today for things those characters did.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Many memories of what I feel is one of the TOP 80's Films. I went to a Hewlett Packard screening before it opened as they were using their computers and the end credits had Hewlett spelled WRONG! Wanna hear 500 people moan in unison?! It still remains on the Sony disc and should NOT be corrected as its part of the original film. Cast is wonderful as is the score which I managed to obtain (very rare score by Thomas Newman which includes all of the music and 4 bonus tracks with extended versions of Chaz Jankel's Number One and I' Falling (Comsat Angels). I'm sure the disc will be beautiful. " Can you do this?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks