What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Real Genius (1985) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
THE CULT 1980s FAN FAVORITE GETS AN UPGRADE,
WITH RARE SPECIAL FEATURES
f9ecff08-fef9-305a-9588-3bb73162488c.png
6940e708-e09f-5b20-42b1-699541993b52.jpg
AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON 4K ULTRA HD™
SEPTEMBER 13TH
SYNOPSIS
When a group of crazy college geniuses put their heads together, almost anything can happen. Hold on for a freewheeling, uproarious look at just how much mischief a bunch of high-IQers can concoct. Chris (Val Kilmer) is the top brain who just wants to party, Mitch (Gabe Jarret) is the 16-year-old whiz kid, and Lazlo (Jonathan Gries), America's number one brain, literally lives in a world of his own ... Chris' closet. Supposedly hard at work on a lab project, they still find time to turn the dorm into an ice-skating rink, and throw a beach party in the auditorium complete with a lagoon and bikini-clad beauties. When the geniuses discover that their unscrupulous mentor Professor Hathaway (William Atherton) has had them working on a secret weapon for the military, they plot an elaborate revenge. Their plan culminates in an incredible scheme that outsmarts the military and convinces the professor that it doesn't pay to fool with a REAL GENIUS!

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
4K ULTRA HD DISC
  • Feature scanned from the original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, reviewed and approved by director Martha Coolidge
  • All-new Dolby Atmos and 5.1 audio, reviewed and approved by director Martha Coolidge + Original Dolby Stereo
BLU-RAY DISC™
  • Feature presented in High Definition, sourced from the 4K master
  • 5.1 + Dolby Stereo audio
  • Special Features:
    • NEW: “Balloon Chair” Deleted Scene + Raw Takes Montage
    • NEW: TV Version of the film
    • Feature Commentary with Director Martha Coolidge
CAST AND CREW
Directed By: Martha Coolidge
Story By: Neal Israel & Pat Proft
Screenplay By: Neal Israel & Pat Proft and Peter Torokvei
Produced by: Brian Grazer
Executive Producer: Robert Daley
Cast: Val Kilmer, Gabe Jarrett, William Atherton, Patti D’Arbanville

SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 105 minutes
Rating: PG
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.39:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA | English Stereo Surround DTS-HD MA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Fun film with a vintage funny Val Kilmer. This and the recent Blu of Top Secret are going to eventually be a double feature night in the home theater.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think know how you can make that determination, but, you’re welcome to your opinion.
It's not exactly crying out for 4K or that popular of a movie so it's an odd choice in my opinion. Much like Paramount releasing Friday The 13th- I like the movie but I can't imagine that there aren't more popular titles in their library.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is welcome news, considering that the MOD Blu-ray has been out of print for some time.

1655141108581.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bye t
It's not exactly crying out for 4K or that popular of a movie so it's an odd choice in my opinion. Much like Paramount releasing Friday The 13th- I like the movie but I can't imagine that there aren't more popular titles in their library.
I think both movies are popular! Real Genius became a cult favorite during the home video and cable era.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I have this from Sony (2017) BR, looks quite good, the only extra is commentary by Martha Coolidge. Audio is stereo DTS. Does not appear to be a MOD disc but could be wrong.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Not to disagree, but this is exactly the kind of movie I can see getting a 4K upgrade. It's got a cult following among 80s nerds who still buy physical media and has managed to stay at least on the edge of the conversation with movies like WarGames for years. It may not have top-tier Amblin-style commercial viability, but people definitely still know it and it's been out of print for awhile, so there could be a little pent-up demand. I wouldn't even be surprised if they try to find a way to sell it to the Stranger Things fandom because of the nerdy kid angle, now that it's finally got its latest season available.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have no interest in this film. That's not a negative comment -- just that I've never seen it.

However, I kind of get a kick out of this kind of release that seems to come out of left field.

I mean, Sony recently gave us "1776" over the past two weeks. It's a small title with a limited (but vocal) fanbase.

To see a small title like REAL GENIUS get its due is kind of neat in the same way.

Happy for the fans and at the same time seeing Sony go deep into their catalog and release a title like this on 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought the iTunes HD Digital for $4.99 back in 2018, so it's probably going to get a 4K upgrade. However, I'll probably purchase the 4K disc too. I actually watched this movie for the first time during its theatrical run. I don't remember many people in the movie theater that day.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This is a big surprise. Sony begrudgingly released it on BD-R as part of their "Choice Collection" (some choice).

I love this film, completely aside from the fact that I know the woman who was the basis for Michelle Meyrink's character. By the time I got to know her, though, she'd mellowed considerably.

This one's a definite buy for me!

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Real Genius also has the renewed interest in Val Kilmer due to Top Gun Maverick
And probably a lesser point but Tears for Fears reunited & released an album of new material this year, 1st in 18 years.

Never did get around to getting the MOD disc so I am also thrilled with this release. Can finally retire the flipper DVD with the Val Kilmer big head artwork.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Saw this in the theater when it was released in the summer of 1985 because I liked Val Kilmer from Top Secret the year before and both Siskel & Ebert gave it a thumbs up (a rarity for teen comedies in that era).

I hesitated so many times on the MOD BD-R but ultimately passed and when it went out of print I figured, "I snooze, I lose." In lieu of it, I then grabbed it digitally for $5 a couple of years ago. And now this: 4K UHD from the original camera negative! I never thought this could happen.

Lots of good pop songs on the soundtrack as well. Funny for that era there was never an official soundtrack album released.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I mix up this film with My Science Project (I don't know why) and don't really remember it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Saw this in the theater when it was released in the summer of 1985 because I liked Val Kilmer from Top Secret the year before and both Siskel & Ebert gave it a thumbs up (a rarity for teen comedies in that era).

I hesitated so many times on the MOD BD-R but ultimately passed and when it went out of print I figured, "I snooze, I lose." In lieu of it, I then grabbed it digitally for $5 a couple of years ago. And now this: 4K UHD from the original camera negative! I never thought this could happen.

Lots of good pop songs on the soundtrack as well. Funny for that era there was never an official soundtrack album released.

I remember Don Henley’s All She Wants To Do Is Dance and Bryan Adams’s One Night Love Affair playing in the group party scene in the auditorium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks