What's new

Columbia Strikes Again! - Real Genius cover art (1 Viewer)

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm constantly mystified as to why studios ditch the classic, easily recognized one-sheet art for the video/DVD releases of some films...

-Dave

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
Oh, my God. It's like they purposefully set out to make the worst cover they possibly could, and succeeded brilliantly. :eek:
It's still a must buy for me, but I'll be embarrassed to have that cover on my shelf. For shame, Columbia. For shame. :thumbsdown:

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
On a side note, at least FOX made a better cover the "Buffy - Season 2" I like the new one.
Why is it that studio's do this with old movies? MGM is a really big problem with 'fixing' covers. The new ones are usually horrible. Like a teenager playing with "The Print Shop" (fyi, I'm a teenager, who plays with "The Print Shop" and I could make a better cover for some of these movies...)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.davisdvd.com/images/imagegallery8.htm
The second one is much better. IMO.

Jeff_H

Auditioning
I dont really understand why it is such a big issue...I mean your going to watch the movie, not the cover.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I usually don't go insane to replace covers, but this one has to go.

Whomever was paid to make that cover should return the money, post haste with an apology

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Do they actually think that cover will sell copies? How can I possibly share my enthusiasm for this movie with friends if I don't dare show them the DVD?

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
They tried to make him look like Heath Ledger. it's: "A Geek's Tale"
What is nice is seeing a professional art department still doing old-fashoned painting, air brushing and photofinishing. (I assume this from the obvious evidence that the art department was huffing the chemicals when they designed that cover.)

Will K

Screenwriter
I know they're not, but damn, are they kidding??? First, the Three Stooges get hired at Buena Vista to supervise transfers, but then they get hired at Columbia to do transfers and cover art! Sheesh!

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
It's just a cover. The movie will still be the same

Don't see the big deal. Do you care what your freinds think of your DVD covers. Don't tell me you wouldn't share a good movie with freinds, because of the cover.

Jodee

Screenwriter
He looks like that an alien from a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode. The episode with the mental telepathy alien guy who mentally "rapes" Deanna Troi. He had weird ears like that, just skin.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
It's too bad that Best Buy doesn't sell condoms or feminine products, because I think I would buy them and put the DVD under them before I went up for purchase. :)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
As soon as a good custom cover arrives, who is with me in tearing our original covers in 1/2 and mailing them to Columbias marketing department?!? I'll be doing it, along with a little not letting them know how thankful I am for the movie, it's just the cover I hate.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Will they care? You still bought the movie and they still made their money. Plus you'll have time spent printing and trimming a new cover, time spent writing your letter, and postage to mail it.
I dunno....they might get a good laugh out of it. :)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Specs are bare bones. Just a trailer, anamorphic video, and DOLBY SURROUND audio:
realgenius_boxback.jpg

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
That's funny, Jeremy. The back of the DVD makes it look as if there are a TON of special features.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
The back of the box lists:

-Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video

-Remastered in High Definition

-Widescreen and Full Screen Presentations

-Audio: English(Dolby Surround)

-Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

-Trailers

-Interactive Menus

-Scene Selections

Richard Waller

Second Unit
Columbia TriStar has a habit of putting the audio/video specs in the Special Features box so barebones discs appear to be fully-loaded. :angry:

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
ROTFLMAO!!!
I dont really understand why it is such a big issue...I mean your going to watch the movie, not the cover.
True... and plus, with this cover, you get the added comedic value of Val Kilmer's eyes, nose and mouth scrunched into a peach-colored blob that looks kind of like a head!
I almost fell out of my seat. Good Job, Columbia/TriStar!! :emoji_thumbsup: :laugh::laugh:
Joseph

Gruson

Second Unit
I wish they would just use the ORIGINAL movie poster cover art on all DVD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks