What's new

Columbia Poll - Where are the black and white shows? (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Not even listed on the poll:

Dennis The Menace
Donna Reed Show
Father Knows Best
Route 66
Farmer's Daughter

These don't get listed but failed recent shows I've never even heard of get included. Not fair.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
No kidding. I looked at the poll, but found nothing I'd be interested in. On the other hand, I'd likely buy sets to all five of the aforementioned series. Especially "Route 66," my all-time favorite. Don't know how long my old 'Nick-at-Night' era videotapes will hold up.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mark, as I mentioned in the other thread concerning the latest Sony poll, I too am disgusted with their apparent decision to not include these classics you mentioned.

I had hopes that all the companies would offer some of the older black & white classics when Paramount, Fox, Image and others began releasing classics from the 50's & 60's. But it looks like Sony is only intersted in the "color" era of tv. They won't be getting much of my money if they don't pull some of these classics out of their vaults and begin offering them.

Gary "and your point about offering newer shows is spot on as well - that's a big frustration I have with many of the recent dvd releases that were failed tv series, ratings wise" OS

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Two episodes of this were included in Columbia TriStar's recent series of giveaway DVDs with General Mills cereals. Considering that the other shows in the promotion were King of Queens, Barney Miller and Mad About You--all of which are now out on regularly sold DVDs--I took that as a sign that the Donna Reed Show would be coming out soon on DVD, too. A Sony Television spokesman couldn't comment officially when I asked him, but he implied that my perception was correct.

So the Donna Reed Show might not be part of the poll because it's already being planned for release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Randy, that would be a pleasant surprise. I can only dream that a non-listing for Father Knows Best means they already have it in the works as well. I really, really doubt that is the case, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

My issue with Sony/Columbia Tri-Star is that as of yet they haven't shown any propensity to release older, black & white shows. After that first poll they conducted, it seemed to me they were very top-heavy in releasing more recent tv shows.

Once they release (fingers crossed when typing "once" instead of "if") an older black & white classic like Donna Reed, Dennis the Menace, or Route 66 I'll stop being sceptical. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Gary "but I will say once again that I'm much happier now than I was last year at this time with so many older shows getting solid dvd treatment in 2004" OS

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Even if "Donna Reed" and "Father Knows Best" are in the pipeline, it would have been nice for Sony to solicit input for the next go around of B&W classics.

I suppose to be fair I should point that that the show I voted for, "Jeannie", was in B&W its first season. Still, I agree with Mark and Gary that more should have been listed.

Steve

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Agreed Steve. Like honorable detective we both love so much, here we are in full agreement! Sony really dropped the ball on this one, IMHO.

Gary "if they give us some of these series before the year is out, I'll gladly apologize" OS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks