What's new

Codecs for extras (1 Viewer)

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Disregarding 1080i/p extras (which are cool, but unnecessary). Does anyone have any idea why they still use MPEG2 for 480i/p extras? VC1 or AVC would be much more efficient with the space.
Every little bit counts.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Probably not enough to justify the expense/time of doing basically the same thing twice (once for DVD, once for HDM).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That, and the fact that they would have to recompress and re-encode "legacy" supplements, which costs money.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
yep, why not slap mpeg2 supplements from DVD on there?, no fuss in that at all ;)

I don't think it matters much, we are already seeing 2 disc sets now on some big releases, everyone knew it was coming, on that note new releases cost too much IMHO, I would love for studios to offer movie only releases or to save costs, use a DVD-9 for the 2nd disc of extras

I just can't help but think I am wasting $$$ on extras that I never even use

-Gary

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

You may not use them. In fact no one may use them, however it has been shown that a film with extra features sells better than a film only release. It has also been shown that people are willing to pay a few dollars more for a film with extras. I think the existing model will continue for sometime.

Doug

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
true, my question was based on the assumption that the original digital files would be handy on some internal and that very little care would go into encoding extras. They would just set it with avc default settings in the encoding queue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks