What's new

Co-Workers. Do they drive you mad? (1 Viewer)

Matt Darval

Auditioning
Hello folks, nice information on this site.

Newbie here.

But hey, how many people like the people they work with. I seem to with a bunch of real characters at my Job. Am I the only one?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I really don't like many of them, with the exception of a few.
I figure i'm there for a paycheck, not to make friends.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Well, you know what they say:

The Downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious. :D

Seriously, I've had some good coworkers in 15 years and some bad coworkers. I have had some good friends at work and people I couldn't turn my back on for fear of getting a knife in it. I think every place is different and after a while you learn to separate the wheat from the chaf (or more importantly identify the people destined for a Darwin Award :) ).

Kenneth

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While I get very frustrated with the corporate realities of work (paperwork, procedures, management fads, ISO, six-sigma, etc.) I have the fortune of working within my chosen profession. And the project I'm on can inspire a sense of working for the greater good, not just for a paycheck (of course, if they didn't pay me, I doubt I'd stay around :))

Co-workers - there are some characters here, but generally no one obnoxious. No best friends here, but I do work with friends and people I get along with. My current team is really good to work with. One guy is trying to get me hooked on golf. My project manager is subtly trying to help me develop project management skills and become more valuable within the greater professional community.

So no, co-workers don't normally drive me mad. Besides, we've budgets, schedules, and procedures to do that!

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel

Ahhh, Six-Sigma. Gotta love the DMAIC process. I passed my test last year but have yet to do a project. So, no green belt certification for me.:frowning:

As for co-workers: I don't have a problem with most of them. I try to be nice to everybody. Just in case, you know, one of them ever decides to go postal, they'll remember me as being friendly. But some of them can be quite difficult to work with. I think that's pretty much everywhere though.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Most of mine are serious backstabbers. But what really irritates me is when they flat out lie to customers.

Phil_L

Second Unit
I have been quite lucky. At both "real" jobs I have had post-college, I have had fantastic co-workers. In fact, at my first post-college job, the three people I worked most closely with became some of my best friends. I was the best man at one of their weddings. Maybe I'm just a "people person," hehehehe.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
After a few internships during college I quickly determined the following:
- I can't work at a job if the other employees are obnoxious, stupid, or irritating (i.e. I can't respect them)
- I can stand almost any type of work (make coffee, etc.) as long as the people I deal with are great.
- Job happiness is far more important that overall salary.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of my coworkers. I think it's because I'm an IT geek and I'm turning into Nick Burns.

But, for the most part, they're okay. I've been working there 9 years, so I can steer clear of the phony personalities and the self serving people.

But did you ever meet someone who you just could not like?

There once was this girl in my department who, every time she opened her mouth, my skin would crawl. I think it was her obnoxious laugh and smug personality that put me on the verge of violent fits. She never did anything to justify me disliking her.. I just think she was the "anti-me" and I was destined to dislike her. Kinda like an arch-enemy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's alright, so long as you're a big movie start and can make your own demands. (Philip_G is just a pseudonym, right...)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
There are few in other departments I have an extremely hard time with. I have a hard time dealing with scatterbrain, unorganized and "drama" orientated personnel. As eccentric and right-brained as I am in everyday life, there is no place for it in a corporation.

As the gateway to purchase orders/cash etc., I'm a tightwad....everything in it's place. I'm not very popular here.

I love my assistant though...but he has some crappy taste in music. Thank goodness, he has an office of his own being built.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My immediate coworkers are a lot older than me (some only a couple of years away from retirement), and typically jaded and cynical. Good people, but when you're a young man right out of college like me 3 years ago, you want a bit more enthusiasm and optimism around you. The negativity has been toxic and unfortunately has permeatted me. I guess the one upside is that I am not surrounded by competitive yuppies who would do anything to get ahead (there is no getting ahead in my position...) so I have no experience with backstabbing and such, but frankly, I would much prefer that to this crap.

The biggest issue by far is of course my autocratic ubber arsehole of a boss who seems to be allergic to happiness or laughter and lives to make other people miserable. His work is his life, and he firmly believes that it should be the same for everyone. The more miserable you look, the better. This guy would actually applaud if they reduced vacation days, including his, I kid you not. I don't get it. My department is the single most depressing in the entire building, people don't even like coming here.

And no, I don't give a flying shite about any of them stumbling upon this. Really really don't care.

--
H - not here for long.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Let me preface this post by saying I work for the government....

The guy I work with is constantly trading stocks online and printng out his portfolio on the printer. On top of that, he has a number of income properties and he conducts telephone interviews of potential tenants on the office phone. On top of that, he caused the government to pay extra interest, into 6 figures within the last 7 months, because he forget to do his work. And since he's senior employee here, I get to do the work he forgot to do and calculate the interest. He is retiring in the next several years, so he's now applying to get a higher position and retire on that position's salary. Since the promotion process here doesn't look at an employee's past performance*, he will most likely get promoted. And because he's been here for so long and that we're unionized, he will never get fired.

Yes, I am hella mad :angry:

* A survey from 2 months ago found that someone in our department hasn't been given a performance review in 14 years!! I have been trying to get mine from my supervisor for more than 18 months and he has so far ignored my e-mails and e-mails from HR.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, being the HTF'er I am, our temporary office is set-up with a pretty nice computer based sound system. Sounds heavenly, unless of course...your assistant DL's Slipknot songs all day. The new parts building will have my old 5.1 system in it.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

All the engineers here are required to have at least one green belt project. It used to be cool because they gave a $2500 bonus for it. I saved the company 980k a year and I got 2500....:D
I do have a guy here that annoy's me. We have to certify every year on electrical competance. He was running smack for a couple of weeks before the test. Guess who failed...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks