What's new

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Back In Theaters (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I randomly watched the director's cut tonight, oblivious to any announcement, then saw this post. This means something!

"There's a dead fly in my potatoes!"

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This is of those movies that works better on the big screen imho. I really liked it as a kid when it first came out, but when I finally watched it again a few years on my 42" TV screen I found it to be good, but also sometimes slow and ponderous.

To me the best movie to take on this subject again was Cameron's The Abyss.

One thing they might need to think about for this 4k restoration is "grain management." The night photography and the film stocks that Spielberg used, or were available at the time, means that there is a lot of film grain in some scenes. I like a "natural" filmic look, and a lot of movies had film grain when I was a kid, but this one is on the extreme range iirc. Probably they should just "let it be."

Reactions: PMF

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
We were told last year that Fox and Cameron were prepping “The Abyss” for a 4K/UHD and Blu-ray release for this year. Perhaps they got wind of the CE3K re-release and will be releasing this on the same day the CE3K 4K/UHD streets?? :thumbs-up-smiley:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Great movie and I do agree, it's one of those movies that is best suited for the big screen.

Every time I've tried to watch on TV (Blu) I end up losing interest. It really needs a theater presentation to get wrapped up in the whole event.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It was the director's cut the last time I saw it on a big screen, for Columbia's 75th anniversary.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Interesting news. I'm looking forward to it. Anyone else remember the parody of the mashed potatoes scene in UHF? "This means something!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In the new release, all sunburns have been digitally-replaced by walkie-talkies due to the inherent insensitivity towards those having skin conditions.
E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial is also playing in theaters sometime later this summer or fall. I don't know if it's the original version or the walkie-talkie version.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I wonder when we'll find out where it will be showing. I'd love to see it in a theater again, but somehow I think Baton Rouge will be passed over.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder when we'll find out where it will be showing. I'd love to see it in a theater again, but somehow I think Baton Rouge will be passed over.
Not like I know but since they're setting up a website and marketing campaign, I think this may be a fairly big re-release. Similar to what Sony did with Ghostbusters a few years ago when that played for a week or two starting on the Labor Day weekend.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am hoping to be able to catch it in theaters and will be adding it to my 4K UHD collection!

20170516_165010.jpg

WillG

Senior HTF Member
E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial is also playing in theaters sometime later this summer or fall. I don't know if it's the original version or the walkie-talkie version.

Almost certainly the original version. Spielberg has admitted he regrets putting out the altered version. Even the Blu Ray dropped the altered version. And when it was running regularly on cable it was the original version.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I see it's playing in Dolby Cinema near me - my local AMC seems to have worked on reducing the red light glare in there, so I may be tempted to give this a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks