What's new

Classic Movies I’ve Never Seen and Will Not See (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
(This thread was suggested to me by the “Gone With The Wind in 4K” thread.)

I have never seen The Godfather or Apocalypse Now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I have the same question as Peter (above). Why never?!

I am one of the most guilty here of not seeing a lot of classic film in my lifetime, but at least I go out of my way to watch things that members here recommend. Some of the greatest films I have ever watched have come from HTF recommendations. That's why we are here -- to help each other enjoy the best movies on our screens.

THE GODFATHER is one of THE most essential watches ever! You NEED to see this film. Not only the first but the second one as well.

APOCALYPSE NOW was a film I did not initially like, but now I watch and savor it as the masterpiece it is.

You really are missing out on phenomenal cinema by shunning both these films. I would put you on a dare to watch them both and then come back and tell us what you think.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

Apocalypse Now
is worth watching but not in the network television cut, which is the version that I saw the first time around. So much was censored from the last 10 minutes that it made the ending incomprehensible. What just happened? Or was that Coppola’s intent? The film made so much more sense when I saw one of the unedited versions later. :)

The Godfather is another great film that I much prefer over Apocalypse Now, but tastes will differ.

Since this thread is implicitly about unseen Coppola films, have you ever seen Peggy Sue Got Married?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I haven't seen The Godfather yet... this month. That is going to bring down my yearly average.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't think there is any”classic” film I would refuse to see.
While there may be some in genres or subject matter I don't particularly like I have to agree. I've watched *many* "classic" movies outside my comfort zone and in genres or subject matter I don't particularly like. While I didn't necessarily care for some I've at least watched them and there've been some I thought I'd dislike that I enjoyed.

I've seen The Godfather and II and III. Didn't like any of them and doubt I'll ever watch any of them again - at least not by choice.

Same for Citizen Kane - saw it, didn't like it one bit.

I very much liked Apocalypse Now.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
There's not any films that I would go out of my way to avoid. I will watch anything at least once. Some big films I haven't watched yet that I really need to is Gone With the Wind, the Godfather trilogy, and the Scarface version with Al Pacino, I've seen the pre-Code version which I really loved. I really need to get the BluRay versions of these films.

I've watched Citizen Kane plenty of times, but with repeat viewings something about it doesn't do it for me anymore. I can't really explain it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am ornery I guess, because I get turned off by films that seem to get world wide acclaim sometimes. As for “The Godfather”, — I hate movies about criminals and gangsters. Also as far as “Apocalypse Now” is concerned, having lived through the Vietnam era, I have no interest in anything to do with it.

This does not mean I will not see either in the future, but with so much media I find wonderful, I hate to waste my time on something I won’t probably enjoy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This does not mean I will not see either in the future, but with so much media I find wonderful, I hate to waste my time on something I won’t probably enjoy.

I completely understand this.

For me, I don’t like spaghetti westerns. I like old fashioned American westerns but the Italian version of the genre doesn’t do it for me, to the point that sitting through one of them bores me so much that I get annoyed that I’m watching it. I can’t make any claims that it’s a problem with the genre; I just don’t like it. I’ve never seen The Good The Bad And The Ugly in its entirety. I can acknowledge that it’s one of the all time greats while also knowing that I won’t get a lick of enjoyment out of it. I’d rather watch either a movie I know I like or one that I’ve never seen and might like over one I know that I will probably not like. There are only so many hours in the day and time budgeting is almost, if not more, important as financial budgeting.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I am ornery I guess, because I get turned off by films that seem to get world wide acclaim sometimes. As for “The Godfather”, — I hate movies about criminals and gangsters. Also as far as “Apocalypse Now” is concerned, having lived through the Vietnam era, I have no interest in anything to do with it.

I really hate westerns. But High Noon is fantastic!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apocalypse Now is worth watching but not in the network television cut, which is the version that I saw the first time around. So much was censored from the last 10 minutes that it made the ending incomprehensible. What just happened? Or was that Coppola’s intent? The film made so much more sense when I saw one of the unedited versions later. :)
Prior to seeing it on the big screen at the Cineramadome in Hollywood (in 70mm!), my only experiences with Apocalypse Now were on VHS or cable on a 27" CRT. To make matters worse, Paramount's initial VHS release was truly horrible, looking as if it was transfered using a piece of tracing paper as the rear projection screen. At the time, I thought it was an OK movie, and not sure what everyone was talking about as to how great a movie it was. Until that 70mm presentation at the 'Dome. It quickly elevated not only to one of my all-time favorite movies, but it still to this day ranks as the #1 most memorable theatrical presentation in my lifetime.

On the flip side is Citizen Kane. Long revered as "the best movie ever made," I never saw it until it got a re-release after being restored. The build-up of so many years of critics, film professors, friends, colleagues all saying what a true masterpiece it was eventually was too much and I walked away rather disappointed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think I would refuse to watch any film, but I find I'm frequently disappointed by older films that have been deemed a "classic" or a "masterpiece" when I do watch them. Citizen Kane comes to mind.

I also haven't seen either of the films that started this thread, but I do own The Godfather trilogy on disc, and may pick up the new 4K release of Apocalypse Now based on Robert Harris' comments. I'll get to them someday, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks