Classe SSP-25

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neville, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Neville

Neville Extra

I have a chance to purchase a 1 year old Classe SSP-25 from my local dealer. He says the previous owner upgraded to a Krell system. He is asking $1800 for the system.

I would be replacing an older Carver HR-875 integrated receiver with this and pairing it with an Outlaw 750. Speakers a Krix fronts and Energy rears.

I have heard very good things about this unit, but I don't know if $1800 is still a little high for this unit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Although the SSP-25 is a superb sounding pre/pro (it sounds better than the Krell in stereo IMO), $1800 is way too much. The SSP-50 is going for around $2000 these days on the used market, and it listed for $6500 a year or two ago! The used pre/pro market is soft, and buyers who don't absolutely have to have the latest DTS-ES and DD-EX formats can get a high-end processor for the price of a mid-level receiver.

3. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

you can buy a classe ssp 25 on the used market for $1300-$1400 at todays prices. I don't believe there are going any further upgrades to this piece in the future but if you are satisfied with 5.1 and value excellent 2 channel performance then this may be the preamp/processor for you.