celine d. sacd....please read if you own

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin George, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Kevin George

Kevin George Stunt Coordinator

hi,
    my setup consist of a classe ssp 25 proccessor, sherbourn 5 channel amp, infinity overture 3 mains.
    when i listen to this sacd on certain songs such as "it's all coming back to me now" ( track 5), on the parts where celine hits very high notes ( the chorus if i remember right ) , i hear some kind of ditortion. im wondering if anyone else is hearing anything like this.
    p.s ...for a moment i suspected that maybe my speakers were damaged...i shortly ruled that out though as everything else sounds great including other material with high frequencies.
    any ideas or comments?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I'm not sure I have noticed distortion, per se. However, I will say that some of Celine's higher notes on "My Heart Will Go On" sound a bit harsh. It's as if she was too close to the microphone.

3. Kevin George

Kevin George Stunt Coordinator

keith,
    thanks for your reply. i guess "harsh" would be a better way to characterize what im hearing.
    do you remember if there are there any other tracks on the cd where you have noticed this, besides the track you already mentioned?
    kevin

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I second Keith's opinion on this as well. Not the best female vocal recording - that may be Jacintha, Autumn Leaves or Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven.
    Still, a pretty good effort and I enjoy the disc tremendously as does my wife. [​IMG]
    Lee

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin,

"My Heart Will Go On" stands out as a song that displays harshness in the vocals. When I get a chance, I'll listen to "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" and offer comments.

Lee,

I had the Jacintha SACD in my hand at a Tower Records on Saturday but passed on it at $25. I've heard good things about this disc musically and sonically, but I am not familiar with it. What genre does Jacintha fall into? I also saw the Alison Krauss SACD at Tower for $22 and at another store for $18 on Saturday, but again, I passed. I am not familiar with Krauss's music either. Are you familiar with her works?