What's new

Circle Surround (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I'm thinking of upgrading (again) and am wondering what the real deal is with circle surround. Is it much different thatn Dolby Pro Logic II? What is it used for, and is it worth getting considering the number of T.V. shows that are now broadcasting Dolby Surround (which sound great through Dolby Pro Logic II). Any ideas?

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know the unit is used to extract the rear centre channel from DDEX/DTS-ES encoded software. When added to a 5.1 receiver it handles the two surround back channels.

I could be mistaken, no doubt someone will correct me if I am.

Harry.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Circle Surround is similar to DPL II in that it simulates 5.1 channel sound from 2 channel sources. My Kenwood VR-507 has it (in addition to DPL II) and IMO it does a better job than DPL II. I use it for TV programming and movies via satellite that aren't broadcast in DD.

Vin

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I think in april Kenwood will have there new receivers out with Circle Surround 2, it simulates 6.1 from a stereo source and includes trubass and dialog clarity features. CS is more active then DPL2 in the surrounds and I prefer it for cable.

Bob J.

Grip
First I've heard of C. S. Are there any other receiver mfrs. who have it or will be coming out with it?

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I know Marantz has it in their 6200's and up models - not sure about others. I'm just wondering if its worth paying the extra money if a cheaper receiver already has the DPL II.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Circle Surround never seems to get any love around here. :frowning: I haven't heard it, but am thinking of getting a Kenwood to hear what it sounds like.
Are there any other receiver mfrs. who have it or will be coming out with it?
I think Parasound has a processor that does it, too. I'm not sure, though.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Kenwood VR-509 receiver, which includes DPLII and Circle Surround. I think the easiest way to differentiate the two is that Circle Surround is more in your face and really envelops you, while DPLII is more subtle and refined. I don't generally use Circle Surround because it is a bit too much for regular viewing, but it is good for sports. I generally prefer DPLII for TV shows and movies. It's really personal preference and I enjoy being able to choose. Within DPLII, you have the choice between Movie and Music modes. I think there is another thread going on about that, but I ususally use Music mode for both movies and music as it is tweakable--the movie mode can't be adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks