What's new

Cinerama Dome Theatre In Hollywood Reopening This March (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, while Cinerama and MGM Camera 65 had the same aspect ratio in projection, the 3 Cinerama cameras provided a 146 degree field of view. None of the camera lenses used for MGM Camera 65 or the other 70mm processes had a wide angle lens that approached that. That's why real 3 camera Cinerama projected on the deeply curved screen is more immersive and provides a completely different audience experience.

Steve_H

Auditioning
The first movie I ever saw at the Cinerama dome was It's a Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad World. Was this in the 3 camera system? I was 7 years old. Our family got free passes to the movie, because my grandfather was one of hundreds of people in the crowd scene at the end.

Another notable film I saw there: Battle of the Bulge, with a full winter army display outside the theater.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Reopening????

It was fine when I left town in 1968.

Don't you Angelinos have a historical society to safeguard these treasures?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jim, the story is a long one. But for a few frightful weeks a few years ago there was even talk of razing the theater and replacing it with a shopping mall and cookie-cutter cineplex. That was Pacific Theatres' plan.

And, guess what: My editor informed me just today that I need to start planning the story I am to write about the Dome.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So Jack, when do you want to get together for the reopening? I prefer a Saturday or a Sunday.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
We had 2 theatres similar to this in Sacramento, but over 20 years ago they were both cut in half and are now half-dome theatres! They've added several new screens along the way but I won't go there at all until they restore the big dome theaters to the way they were originally.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

IAMMW was filmed in Super Panavision (70mm). It was not a real 3 projector Cinerama movie, it was only shown on a Cinerama screen. At the time Pacific Theatres had purchased the assests of the Cinerama Company and proceeded to license the name for exhibition. The Dome was rushed to completion for the debut of the "new" Cinerama. Even director Stanley Kramer said the film wasn't in Cinerama. Interestingly, as stated before, the Dome never showed a Cinerama film using 3 projectors. There were 2 additional booths in the rear of the auditorium but they were never fitted with projectors. They are now. "This Is Cinerama" will play in September on its 50th Anniversary. See ya all then!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
RobertR: I'm with you on the weekend thing--I prefer a Saturday afternoon.

And all of you: Peter Kline is demonstrating here an uncommon love of cinema and cinematic processes (he's HTF's Cinerama expert) by planning to travel clear across the country for the September screening of This Is Cinerama. It behooves us SoCal HTF geeks to get together with him for the grand occasion. Seeing three-projector Cinerama in action will be eye-opening to say the least.

So mark the date in your calendars and let's make, as Peter says, "an HTF night of it."

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Jack and all, if we have enough members attend we hopefully can reserve the "sweet spot" seating - center 10 to 12 rows back! I'll be contacting Dave Strohmaier about possibly gettting a special screening of his documentary "The Cinerama Adventure". I'll also try to get in touch with Pacific Theatres and get some definate info on the schedule for "This Is Cinerama".
jubilee2.jpg

courtesy The American Wide Screen Museum

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
According to Cineramaadventure.com a newly struck print of HTWWW will be made available for showing in 3 projector Cinerama this year. Look for it to play the Cinerama Dome during or after the "This Is Cinerama" showings in September.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
IAMMW was filmed in Super Panavision (70mm).
Actually, it was shot in the Ultra Panavision process.
Super Panavision was simply 70mm with no anamorphic compression (Film shot in Super Panavision include Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and My Fair Lady.)
The negative was 65mm, prints in 70mm.
Ultra Panavision, on the other hand, used a 65mm negative, but with a little anamorphic compression to yield a maximum image of 2.76:1 (to be cropped on the sides to 2.55:1). It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World was shot in Ultra Panavision. Other films in Ultra Panvision include Raintree County, Ben-Hur, The Greatest Story Ever Told, and Grand Prix.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ultra Panavision, on the other hand, used a 65mm negative, but with a little anamorphic compression to yield a maximum image of 2.76:1 (to be cropped on the sides to 2.55:1). It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World was shot in Ultra Panavision. Other films in Ultra Panvision include Raintree County, Ben-Hur, The Greatest Story Ever Told, and Grand Prix.
Grand Prix was Super Panavision 70

Ultra Panavision films were:

1957 - Raintree County (MGM Camera 65)

1959 - Ben-Hur (MGM Camera 65)

1962 - Mutiny on the Bounty

1963 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

1964 - The Fall of The Roman Empire

1965 - Battle of The Bulge

1965 - The Greatest Story Ever Told

1965 - The Hallelujah Trail

1966 - Khartoum

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks